L'amour subject of a new book.. I MUST own this!

Dark Star

Saw this on blabbermouth and I WANT this book!! Considering I saw a few of these bands there back in the day.... :headbanger:

Legendary Heavy Metal Club L'AMOUR Subject Of New Book - Nov. 2, 2010

Arguably the most famous heavy metal venue in the world, the history of the New York venue L'Amour has now been documented in print form. "Rock Capital of Brooklyn", a large, hardcover coffee-table style tome jammed with over 1,000 full-color photographs, ticket stubs and memorabilia from the noted heavy metal nightclub, is set to be released in the coming months.

L'Amour in its early '80s heyday presented such acts as METALLICA, WHITE LION, CINDERELLA, SKID ROW, POISON, FAITH NO MORE, THE BLACK CROWES, TWISTED SISTER, WARRANT, ANTHRAX, RATT, SLAYER, MEGADETH, STRYPER, QUEENSRŸCHE, KIX, IRON MAIDEN, GUNS N' ROSES, MOTÖRHEAD, MANOWAR, SOUNDGARDEN, EXTREME, DOKKEN, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, WINGER, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS and KING DIAMOND. As many of these acts were either unknown or up-and-coming at the time, the venue is considered the CBGB of heavy metal. L'Amour was the epicenter of the New York underground metal scene for most of its 25-year life. It was home to five of New York's most predominant bands: LIFE OF AGONY, BIOHAZARD, TYPE O NEGATIVE, OVERKILL, and WHITE LION. Featured in the book are performance photos of the bands that graced the L'Amour stage.

The book is a collaborative effort. The story is written by legendary L'Amour DJ Alex Kayne who is recognized as New York City's first heavy metal DJ and is the venue's longest resident DJ. Alex Kayne presents his well-known "RockMachine" shows throughout the tri-state area. The book's music photography is attributed to legendary music photographer Frank White, who began photographing music in 1975. White was the house photographer at L'Amour in Brooklyn for many years. Just over a year after working as the venue's photographer in 1986, the Frank White Photo Agency was started. L'Amour staff, bands, and regulars have contributed some of their memories of life at the club to the book as well.

"Rock Capital of Brooklyn" tells the story in images and words of the famous venue and its important contributions to the heavy metal music scene.

If you are a hard rock, hardcore, heavy metal fan, or just a music history buff then this book is a must-read!

For more information, visit the "Rock Capital of Brooklyn" Facebook page.

You gonna buy it too Keith????? :beerbang:

Pffft. Does it actually exist?? I mean, this book has been in the works for-EVER...

Sh*t, maybe a little over a month or so ago I got a PM on Facebook from the guy in charge of its FB page, cuz he'd seen me post on the FB page for the club itself, asking me if I had any photos or ticket stubs I could contribute to the book. If they're still seeking donations then I would imagine that this thing is still in the process of being assembled...

Just sayin'. :whistle:

Either way, hell yeah, whenever this thing actually sees print I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.

Pffft. Does it actually exist?? I mean, this book has been in the works for-EVER...

Sh*t, maybe a little over a month or so ago I got a PM on Facebook from the guy in charge of its FB page, cuz he'd seen me post on the FB page for the club itself, asking me if I had any photos or ticket stubs I could contribute to the book. If they're still seeking donations then I would imagine that this thing is still in the process of being assembled...

Either way, hell yeah, whenever this thing actually sees print I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.

Man it would be cool if You sent him a ticket stub and it got used huh?? Yea IF it sees the light of day I SO wanna read it!!!! :beerbang:

Man it would be cool if You sent him a ticket stub and it got used huh?? Yea IF it sees the light of day I SO wanna read it!!!! :beerbang:

Meh. F*ck that. I'm still a little bitter about the sh*t that went down the last time I went to that club (the legendary "Extreme-ly Rough Night")... I aint' giving them nothin'.

Seems like it might be a cool book. I guess it would depend on how well it was done.

I'm not sure how well the book would sell... mostly locals I assume. I'm not sure how many "regulars" the club had... but it seems as though the price they would have to charge would hurt sales too.

That being said... If a book like this was being put out on HAMMERJACKS in Baltimore(R.I.P.) I'm sure I would pay to get a copy if it was done right.

Meh. F*ck that. I'm still a little bitter about the sh*t that went down the last time I went to that club (the legendary "Extreme-ly Rough Night")... I aint' giving them nothin'.

What happened Keef?

What happened Keef?

(Takes deep breath)

Semi-short Reader's Digest version: It was Spring 1991. My friend Gary and I were supposed to interview the guys from Extreme when they came to L'amour for our college paper. We set the whole thing up thru their label (A&M), supposedly we had press passes, photo pass, the whole deal. We were STOKED cuz this would've been our stupid little rock music column's first real live honest to gosh "interview" with an actual band.

On the big day, we got to the club hours early, but the idiot girl behind the box office window couldn't find our names on the guest list. Somehow or other we managed to bullshit our way inside the club anyway, where we were told Extreme weren't even there yet cuz they were running late @ a radio interview in Manhattan. When the band finally arrived we introduced ourselves to Gary Cherone and Pat Badger, they were both really nice but by this time they were running way behind and still had to soundcheck, so there was no time to do an interview. So much for that. We watched'em do their soundcheck, then a L'amour security goon noticed that two college dorks were hanging around inside without passes and kicked us out onto the sidewalk.

So by now it's almost showtime. We try talking to the idiot at the box office again. She finds my name on the list for a photo pass, but sez she can't find our names on the guest-pass list. So we're like "f*ck it, we better buy tickets otherwise we won't even get to see the damn show." Get this though: literally TWO SECONDS after we forked over $40-something for tickets, BAM! She's like "Oh, wait a minute -- HERE you guys are! I was looking at the wrong list."

Us: "Great. Then can we have the $$ back for these tickets we just bought?"

Her: (waaaaait for it) "Sorry, there's no refunds."

(**Gary and I have an absolutely epic meltdown at this point and ask to see the manager**)

(Manager comes to box office, we explain the situation)

Manager: "No refunds. You don't like it, you can get the f*ck outta here."

So much for our dreams of rock journalism glory! :crying:

Well anyway, we stayed for the show and Extreme were excellent, but it was a little hard to truly enjoy the gig after all the sh*t we'd been thru leading up to it. When we left that night I swore that I was never going to set foot in L'amour again, and I kept that promise right up until they closed their doors in '94 or so.

I did turn the entire experience into our best newspaper column EVER though. Gary was so pissed off by the whole experience that he didn't even want to try and write any of it so he just let me go nuts. I was very complementary to the band but totally ripped the club, the management, and especially the ticket window chick (who I dubbed "The Spandex Enormity," after the M.O.D. song), and I still think it's some of my finest writing from that period... :rofl2:

To this day I swear if I ever see that L'amour manager guy on the street somewhere I am gonna put a f*cking boot in his eye. :flame:

What happened Keef?

(Takes deep breath)

Semi-short Reader's Digest version: It was Spring 1991. My friend Gary and I were supposed to interview the guys from Extreme when they came to L'amour for our college paper. We set the whole thing up thru their label (A&M), supposedly we had press passes, photo pass, the whole deal. We were STOKED cuz this would've been our stupid little rock music column's first real live honest to gosh "interview" with an actual band.

On the big day, we got to the club hours early, but the idiot girl behind the box office window couldn't find our names on the guest list. Somehow or other we managed to bullshit our way inside the club anyway, where we were told Extreme weren't even there yet cuz they were running late @ a radio interview in Manhattan. When the band finally arrived we introduced ourselves to Gary Cherone and Pat Badger, they were both really nice but by this time they were running way behind and still had to soundcheck, so there was no time to do an interview. So much for that. We watched'em do their soundcheck, then a L'amour security goon noticed that two college dorks were hanging around inside without passes and kicked us out onto the sidewalk.

So by now it's almost showtime. We try talking to the idiot at the box office again. She finds my name on the list for a photo pass, but sez she can't find our names on the guest-pass list. So we're like "f*ck it, we better buy tickets otherwise we won't even get to see the damn show." Get this though: literally TWO SECONDS after we forked over $40-something for tickets, BAM! She's like "Oh, wait a minute -- HERE you guys are! I was looking at the wrong list."

Us: "Great. Then can we have the $$ back for these tickets we just bought?"

Her: (waaaaait for it) "Sorry, there's no refunds."

(**Gary and I have an absolutely epic meltdown at this point and ask to see the manager**)

(Manager comes to box office, we explain the situation)

Manager: "No refunds. You don't like it, you can get the f*ck outta here."

So much for our dreams of rock journalism glory! :crying:

Well anyway, we stayed for the show and Extreme were excellent, but it was a little hard to truly enjoy the gig after all the sh*t we'd been thru leading up to it. When we left that night I swore that I was never going to set foot in L'amour again, and I kept that promise right up until they closed their doors in '94 or so.

I did turn the entire experience into our best newspaper column EVER though. Gary was so pissed off by the whole experience that he didn't even want to try and write any of it so he just let me go nuts. I was very complementary to the band but totally ripped the club, the management, and especially the ticket window chick (who I dubbed "The Spandex Enormity," after the M.O.D. song), and I still think it's some of my finest writing from that period... :rofl2:

To this day I swear if I ever see that L'amour manager guy on the street somewhere I am gonna put a f*cking boot in his eye. :flame:

Do you have a copy of that story that you can post here?

He already has. Didn't you post it, along with various other old reviews you did, a while back?

I'm sure I must have... but I'm too friggin lazy to go looking for it at the moment. :lol:

*EDIT* found it... http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20118&hl=Reviews&st=0

I believe it's on the 3rd page.

Ah yes, the Infamous Extreme-ly rough night story.. And to think I Wanted to tag along with you guys too.. Glad I didn't now.... :whistle: Well, the concert woulda been pretty killer, but all that bullshit leading up to it woulda killed the whole vibe of the night...

Ya know?? I think I STILL have a copy of that Wagnerian back in NY at My parents house somewhere.. I saw it last time I was there.. Course that WAS 5, no 6 years ago now.... :lol: