Boys Like Girls

martinsane

First off let me say that having Sailor Twit (Tayler Swift) on this release, track 4 "Two Is Better Than One", certainly takes points away from the final score and yes the song is RUINED curtousy of her, very unnecessary, easily could have picked some random American Idol reject off the streets off of anytown USA and acheived the same affect...

That said this is quite a solid melodic rock disc with a massive nod to old school pop/rock/new wave. I certainly could see many of us rockin'this one down the street in our SUV's with the sprites in the back sining along. :)

All around quality musicianship with some tasty rhythms and even a fistfull of guitar solo's. Mounds of key's and nicely placed samples. Reminds me of Butch Walker, Bowling For Soup, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Never Heard Of IT, etc...

Song review/opinion:

1. Heart Heart Heartbreak: Nice little uptempo rocker, but with the computer assisted vocals. Nice little guitar solo, even an outtra solo! One of my fave's on the disc and a great opening track to get you on the hook.

2. Love Drunk: This one starts off very arena rockin' and carries it through to the outtra with the nicely inserted "lalala's". This song is good and is very similar to another song that I can't quite remember, but I also enjoyed, something about she's got a new boyfriend...

3. She's Got A Boyfriend Now: This one is nicely done also. Good use of key's, harmonies and the lyrics and guitar work are clevelry done.

4. Two Is Better Than One: Vomitous ballad with that waste of space T. Swift. I exaggerate a smidge, but she certainly ruins this one for me, otherwise the song would be a pallatable peice of filler or the "More Than Words" cut that all cd's from the late 80's needed.

5. Contagious: Another nice little mid-tempo rocker. Could easily be a BW tune.

6. Real Thing: This one is nice! Big chorus' and a very Springfield/Jesse's Girl feel to it. Probably my favorite on the disc.

7. Someone Like You: Nifty mid-tempo ballad, with the lyrics that should make all the kids dedicate it to each other ala Journey's Open Arms from our generation. :)

8. The Shot Heard 'Round The World: This one is really good also! The chorus is sweet and the guitar lick is tasty. Has a nod to ole school Motley's Shout at The Devil with the "Shot" in the prechorus.

9. The First One: This one is my least favorite, musicianship is solid, fairly mundane but should appease most top 40 styled radio stations.

10. Chemicals Collide: This is a good one. Reminds me of Bowling For Soup, which is a big compliment (those guys write great rock songs, with tons of tongue in cheek lyrics and music), brought the solo back for this one and a nice use of key's.

11. Go: Is the ballad on this cd that should appease EVERYONE! Big harmonies, great lyrics and an orchestra. This track could easily have been on BW's Left Of Self Centered.

All in all a nice platter of tunes, glad to have bought it and now I need to hear/acquire the self titled disc from '07.

First off let me say that having Sailor Twit (Tayler Swift) on this release, track 4 "Two Is Better Than One", certainly takes points away from the final score and yes the song is RUINED curtousy of her, very unnecessary, easily could have picked some random American Idol reject off the streets off of anytown USA and acheived the same affect...

That said this is quite a solid melodic rock disc with a massive nod to old school pop/rock/new wave. I certainly could see many of us rockin'this one down the street in our SUV's with the sprites in the back sining along. :)

All around quality musicianship with some tasty rhythms and even a fistfull of guitar solo's. Mounds of key's and nicely placed samples. Reminds me of Butch Walker, Bowling For Soup, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Never Heard Of IT, etc...

Song review/opinion:

1. Heart Heart Heartbreak: Nice little uptempo rocker, but with the computer assisted vocals. Nice little guitar solo, even an outtra solo! One of my fave's on the disc and a great opening track to get you on the hook.

2. Love Drunk: This one starts off very arena rockin' and carries it through to the outtra with the nicely inserted "lalala's". This song is good and is very similar to another song that I can't quite remember, but I also enjoyed, something about she's got a new boyfriend...

3. She's Got A Boyfriend Now: This one is nicely done also. Good use of key's, harmonies and the lyrics and guitar work are clevelry done.

4. Two Is Better Than One: Vomitous ballad with that waste of space T. Swift. I exaggerate a smidge, but she certainly ruins this one for me, otherwise the song would be a pallatable peice of filler or the "More Than Words" cut that all cd's from the late 80's needed.

5. Contagious: Another nice little mid-tempo rocker. Could easily be a BW tune.

6. Real Thing: This one is nice! Big chorus' and a very Springfield/Jesse's Girl feel to it. Probably my favorite on the disc.

7. Someone Like You: Nifty mid-tempo ballad, with the lyrics that should make all the kids dedicate it to each other ala Journey's Open Arms from our generation. :)

8. The Shot Heard 'Round The World: This one is really good also! The chorus is sweet and the guitar lick is tasty. Has a nod to ole school Motley's Shout at The Devil with the "Shot" in the prechorus.

9. The First One: This one is my least favorite, musicianship is solid, fairly mundane but should appease most top 40 styled radio stations.

10. Chemicals Collide: This is a good one. Reminds me of Bowling For Soup, which is a big compliment (those guys write great rock songs, with tons of tongue in cheek lyrics and music), brought the solo back for this one and a nice use of key's.

11. Go: Is the ballad on this cd that should appease EVERYONE! Big harmonies, great lyrics and an orchestra. This track could easily have been on BW's Left Of Self Centered.

All in all a nice platter of tunes, glad to have bought it and now I need to hear/acquire the self titled disc from '07.

Nice!

And slowly the army grows... HAH.gif

Haha. Glad to see you give it a go mate, and even gladder that you dig it. Funnily enough, 'The first one' is one of my favourite cuts on the disc and I actually love the duet with Taylor 'Sex Voice' Swift... but aside from those two, we pretty much agree heartily! :)

FYI, here's the awesome track by track I did back in February, taken from this equally awesome thread:

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=22477

1. Heart Heart Heartbreak ; the biggest, catchiest most delightful anthem of 2009. Not even Wig Wam have something this massive on their new album. Big up-tempo commercial rocker.

2. Love Drunk ; not to be outdone in catchiness, the title track is a gem too. The moderate dance-ish vibe in the chorus may put the weak off, but persist with this and it's one of the catchiest songs you'll ever hear. Call me a gaybo, but I love the lyrics too.

3. She's Got a Boyfriend Now ; a few more modern effects in the verses that could put off the impatient and weak-minded (:lol:) but this is one of my favourite choruses on the CD. Two parts, each as equally massive as the other. Hooks like they're oxygen and another ridiculously catchy tune. Again, just dig the lyrics. Not anything special, just appealing.

4. Two Is Better Than One ; the duet with Taylor Swift. Call me a soft-cock, but man I just love this tune! I am generally not a fan of duets at all but this is one of my favourites ever. Again, just nicely written sentiment and a totally irrisistable ballad. I lose myself to this song each time I hear it. Taylor, you sexy, sexy girl.

5. Contagious ; poppy intro drops into a cool uptempo rocking tune. Again, the chorus just takes grasp of your head and squeezes your face through your ears, smashes your nose and eyes and eats your hair while beating your cheeks with your anus. Huge, catchy stuff that makes you want to intercourse it immediately. Another totally killer song.

6. Real Thing ; almost got an 80's pop rock kind of vibe, this one. The verses on this CD may not be immediate to everyone first time round (even me, as I said this was comparable with the killer debut, when in actually fact this DESTROYS the debut, imo) but man they grow on you. This is one of the weaker tracks, imo, but comparable to some of the best songs of 2009 on lesser albums. Another huge catchy chorus with gigantic hooks for everyone.

7. Someone Like You ; ballad time again. Another song I love. Maybe a bit average and uneventful on first listen, but I like the lyrics again and really love this more discreet hook in the chorus. Beautiful tune.

8. The Shot Heard Round the World ; if you bother repairing your face after it's exploded during several songs on the album already, don't even bother with the band-aids before this one. This one is a f*cking monster. Huge chorus, killer verses (my favourite on the CD) and another perfect tune. One of the catchiest.

9. The First One ; Stunning, stunning mid-tempo piece of ear jewelry. If possible I'd like to cuddle up to my wife on one side at night, and this song on the other side. Absolutely sensational, not for a second forsaking an incredible hook. Beautiful, sentimental, catchy... more perfection.

10. Chemicals Collide ; one last uptempo rocker to close the album with. Another big chorus, great verses and a catchy hook. Very enjoyable song.

11. Go ; Very laid back end to the album. Acoustic song. Still a nice tune and on most albums this would probably be a highlight. Here it's just a nice, gentle close to an excellent CD.

I like this quote which could sum up the feel of the band and album:

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

hsf, on Dec 13 2009, 05:19 AM, said:

So you're saying I should give them another try? (I thought they were good live.)

"DEFINITELY!!! As a fan of Butch I would be blown away if you didn't like these guys. I guess it's quite similar in style to his 'Left of self-centered' CD or a slightlier more sugar-coated version of Marvelous 3.

Mate, with avatars like that you really need to post more!!!"

And btw Geoffrey, no conversion needed on me, my musical blinders are non existant my friend...

I could live without a few things: Taylor Swift ( :D ), cookie monster singing and metal with that horrible "squeel little piggy" singing (I think you know the bands/style of what I speak, usually love the music, but gawd that noise comming out of that throat...).