Bill Aucion dies

Captain Howdy

LEGENDARY KISS MANAGER

William Aucoin, beloved record industry executive, manager, entrepreneur, and creative visionary, passed away this morning, Monday, June 28 at 9:11 am. EST at the Aventura Hospital and Medical Center in Aventura, Florida.

Born December 29, 1943, Bill was battling prostate cancer, and passed away from surgical complications.

The man known for masterminding the career of the world-renowned group KISS, Bill Aucoin also managed STARZ, TOBY BEAU, BILLY SQUIER, BILLY IDOL, and numerous other artists. His most recent venture is Aucoin Globe Entertainment, which he founded in 2007. In its three years, Bill and his company developed bands in the U.S. and around the world.

He leaves behind his boyfriend of fifteen years, Roman Fernandez, and two sisters Betty Britton and Janet Bankowski.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

That's a shame. He was only 66? I would've thought he was older. Whatever.

I met Bill Aucoin at a KISS Convention/Expo here in NJ in '93 or '94. I have a cool vintage photo of him with the KISS guys that he signed for me. In addition to a bunch of photos and stuff he happened to have the original artwork pages from the famed Marvel Comics KISS Super Specials laid out on his booth/table so of course I geeked out BIG TIME looking at those. He and I chit chatted about Marvel Comics for a while as I flipped through them. He seemed like a very nice guy. R.I.P. Bill.

KISS' statement about Aucoin's passing from Kissonline.com:

Bill Aucoin, our irreplaceable original manager, mentor and dear friend has died of complications arising from his ongoing battle with prostate cancer. He was instrumental in guiding us from the beginning and without his vision, leadership and unending dedication, we could never have scaled the heights we have reached.

Bill loved life and lived it to the fullest. Words can never convey his impact on us or those close to him.

Over all the years, he never missed an opportunity to be with us at our shows near his home or fly in for special concerts, including our most recent Madison Square Garden show. He had hoped to attend our London show earlier this month but his illness prevented it. He still planned to visit us upon the start of our upcoming US tour.

We loved him, told him and have peace that he knew it.

We will grieve and celebrate all he was and did.

We have lost a part of us.

Sad to hear this news. I met the guy once too. A few years back he came to my company Christmas party in Las Vegas. He was managing a band from MN. (I believe) called FLIPP. My boss was famous for getting cool entertainment for our parties. The year prior we had DANGER KITTY (yes, that Danger Kitty). A friend and I talked with Bill for well over 2 hours. It was cool to just sit and listen to someone who knew so much over a few beers. He was a really interesting guy and his Billy Idol stories were great. The guy sure loved music.

R.I.P. Mr. Aucoin ... :headbanger:

In addition to taking on KISS when no one else would touch'em with a ten foot dildo (he bankrolled the tour that eventually became the first ALIVE! album on his American Express card for cryin' out loud! Talk about rolling the dice!), Bill Aucoin also rocked the most bitchin' mustache of the 70s. I offer this photo as proof:

BillandKissBW.jpg

Left to right: Bill Aucoin, KISS, Joyce Bogart, Neil Bogart

LONG LIVE THE 'STACHE! :bowdown:

Bill made my favorite band happen. In fact, I specifically said to him, "Thank you for making my favorite band happen" the one time that we met. It's interesting to think about the fact that he's actually had a massive impact on the music and pop culture of the last four decades when you consider what he did for KISS and everything that has come of KISS' contributions to the entertainment world.

Bill wasn't just a guy behind the scenes. He had a vision for KISS and saw it through. Without him, KISS certainly wouldn't have been nearly the same and may not have happened at all. Like Fat Freddy mentioned, he did A LOT for the band. I remember a funny story that he told. Back in the early days, Paul Stanley wanted to ask to borrow some money. He went into Bill's office and they began talking. However, Paul ended up leaving without asking to borrow the money. At some point, Paul eventually told Bill this story. When Bill asked him why he chose not to ask for money, Paul told him, "While we were talking, you put your foot up on your desk. I saw that you had a hole in your shoe and I realized that you didn't have any money either!" Those early days were scrappy, but Bill believed in KISS and the world thanks him for it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• 2021 HH Donation Drive

Please support Heavy Harmonies! The donations goal is the out-of-pocket expenses to run the main site and this board for calendar year 2021.

76% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
    • When it comes down to it, it is the love that matters. I feel the love of Christ in my life. I feel the certainty that He loves me. An atheist says that does not exist, it's imaginary. You even deny love to even be a thing, it's a chemical, it has no meaning. You walk outside, you see trees, you hear birdsong, and it means nothing. I see beauty everywhere I go, the beauty of Christ and His creation. I know beauty can be corrupted. I know evil exists. I know there is death. That is free will, baby. A person chooses to do what they do. Do I care if you believe what I know to be true to my core of being? No, not really. It's like someone saying to me "Def Leppard's Pyromania sucks". I know the music moves me and I love it. With Christ in my life it is that feeling x 1000. If it angers you that I have this love, as it seems to for some here, I can only apologise. It would be like not breathing to deny it. If that hurts your feelings cause once upon a time some church or Christian hurt you, I can just say, don't blame God for the followers. Evil appears in every element. Humans are fallible. Humans do bad shit. I am only responsible for my own soul. Do I want God to come down and intervene in every evil? Hell no. I love that we are free to choose. Forcing someone to love you is not love. Also, how about people be responsible for what they choose to do rather than blame God? You say there is nothing but death and darkness at the end. I know this is just a plane of existence and death has lost its sting. Again, I stress, I don't care if you agree or not. I'm not here to judge you. You are free to choose. I just ask for the same courtesy that you accept I don't share your views and that you can move past your hatred for that choice (not all on this site, just some).
    • Probably the wisest thing said on this thread.  Realistically, we're all in this position. 
    • Yesterday-G'N'R
    • From Frontiers: Frontiers Music Srl is pleased to announce the release of "Before The Sun Sets", the upcoming debut album from City Of Lights on February 11, 2022. City Of Lights is an exciting new melodic hard rock collaboration between British newcomer songwriter/guitarist Neil Austin and Greek vocal sensation Manos Fatsis (Odyssey Desperado, Hideaway). They deliver hard-edged melodic anthems driven by crunchy riffs and lush keyboard textures combined with soaring, passion-filled vocal melodies. Tracklist: 1. Racing On The Redline 2. Heart's On Fire 3. Emily 4. Heat Of The Night 5. Dying Light 6. Give Me Back My Heart 7. Put Your Heart On The Line 8. Snake Eyes 9. Joanna 10. Midnight Club 11. How To Love 12. Before The Sun Sets   LINE-UP: Manos Fatsis: Lead Vocals Neil Austin: Rhythm Guitar, Backing Choirs, Programming Robin Eriksson: Bass, Harmony Vocals Mats Eriksson: Drums Guest Musicians:  Guitar Solos: Nathan Doyle - Racing On The Redline, Heart's On Fire, Heat Of The Night, Dying Light, Midnight Club Daniel Johansson - Give Me Back My Heart, Snake Eyes, Before The Sun Sets Jonathan Carlemar - Snake Eyes, Joanna Mike Kyriakou (Kyre) - Emily Wahwah Guitar: Matt Farmer - Snake Eyes Keyboard Solo: Mikael Blanc - Before The Sun Sets Piano: Joel Selsfors - How To Love       
    • From MelodicRock Classics: MRC008 – HEADWAY (Featuring Steve McClintock) – Headway                                     1CD Limited Edition Unreleased pomp-AOR / melodic rock album from 1980 featuring vocalist and guitarist Steven McClintock. Includes original master tracks plus a couple of live bonus tracks recorded in 1981.    
    • To be honest, it doesn't really concern me if he did or didn't. I put it out there are a kind of olive branch (ie: not everything is completely imaginary and made up) Not many lives were well documented 2000 years ago. Likelihood is that he existed, and had some small amount of notoriety. Was killed and became a Randy Rhodes or Jeff Buckley. A lot more famous after death than when alive. The bibles changed over the years, his exploits became more impressive and eventually  became a demi god. Ironically I love easter and Jesus stories. They make great stories
    • That's really not proven. Opinions split. On the balance of it there is a fair chance he existed but it cannot be proven definitively he did.  His life isn't well documented outside of the bible.  It's long but this is a good video on the topic.     
    • I thank that may be partially due to his delivery style. He'll read part of a quote/sentence/article, make a pithy remark, lather rinse repeat. So it takes him a while to get through things and for the full point to come across. I think if he cut down his breaks by 50% it would be much more digestable. Still, as Lefties go, he's seemingly got more brain power and common sense than many...      
    • New song 'Irreversible'. From Frontiers: 'Irreversible' is a new single from Norway's Big City. The track is from the recording sessions for their most recent studio album, "Testify X", which is out now. Fans of bands such as Firewind, Queensryche, Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall, Europe, Fair Warning, and the like should look forward to being introduced to this exciting band.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.