Headbangers Ball

JamesEagle

Mentioned this in another thread and took me back to the good old days of nineties metal. Did anyone else used to watch it? It was presented by Kristiane Backer (hubba hubba). They had a few favourite songs and bands that were played quite regularly, but did play a lot of good stuff across all hard rock and metal genres. I discovered quite a few bands by watching it back in the day.

Then Vanessa Warwick (wife of Ricky from The Almighty) took over and I went off it. Didn't like her at all personally.

My memory is foggy, but some of my favourites that were regulars on the show:

Pretty Maids - Savage Heart

Icon - Taking My Breath Away

China - In The Middle of The Night

Scanner - Buy Or Die

W.A.S.P. - The Real Me

:banger:

I have always been hopeful that VH1 Classic would start airing the old headbangers ball episodes but they never have. Why can they show old episodes of 120 minutes and Pop Up Video but not Headbangers ball? It's kind of irritating.

I have always been hopeful that VH1 Classic would start airing the old headbangers ball episodes but they never have. Why can they show old episodes of 120 minutes and Pop Up Video but not Headbangers ball? It's kind of irritating.

That would be so awesome. It's great they do Metal Mania but it's usually the same old videos with a suprise here and there.

I used to watch Metal Mania religiously when I first got VH1 Classic a few years back. But I'm sick of seeing the same dozen or so Poison, Whitesnake, Ozzy, etc. videos over and over and frickin' OVER again... they used to throw in some surprise bones now and again (I damn near died the first time I saw Crimson Glory's "Lonely" video on there cuz I had never seen it before, and Raven's "On & On" cuz I hadn't seen that in 20+ years!)

As for Headbanger's Ball... never really cared for Riki Rachtmann as a host, I actually preferred Adam Curry. Adam looked like a poof but he at least seemed comfortable in front of the camera and sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Riki was just inserted as host cuz he had "the look." (Legend has it that his buddy Axl Rose pulled some strings at MTV to get him that job.)

I read a hilarious interview with Bobby Blitz from Overkill in a zine years ago where he said that going on "Headbanger's Ball" to chat with Riki Rachtman was "one of the more painful things to do" during Overkill's heyday. He sez "the guy has no idea who I am, he hasn't heard my new album at all, but of course as soon as the camera's on he's gonna talk it up like it's the greatest thing since canned beer. I don't wanna sit next to this dick for an hour." :rofl: