Spider Man 4 Getting a complete overhaul.....

Dark Star

Just saw this on Yahoo, and thought I would share.. Apparently Spider Man 4 is gonna be a reboot of the series.. Toby McGuire and Sam Raimi are out.....

LOS ANGELES - Tobey Maguire's web-slinging days are behind him.

The 34-year-old actor and "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi will not be returning to the superhero franchise next year. Instead, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced Monday that a new "Spider-Man" film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on Peter Parker in high school would debut in the summer of 2012 with a new cast and filmmaking team.

"I am so proud of what we accomplished with the 'Spider-Man' franchise over the last decade," Maguire said in a statement Monday. "Beyond the films themselves, I have formed some deep and lasting friendships. I am excited to see the next chapter unfold in this incredible story."

The announcement of a reboot comes after reports that "Spider-Man 4" production stalled amid script revisions. The original "Spider-Man 4" release date seemed unlikely last week when Paramount Pictures announced that "Thor," another big-screen Marvel superhero adaptation, had hammered out the same May 6, 2011, release date as the fourth Spidey installment.

"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me," Raimi, who directed all three "Spider-Man" films, also said in a statement Monday. "While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."

Maguire said in an interview last week that there was "great stuff in terms of story and script" for the fourth chapter and the plan was to still release the film in 2011. He also said he had specific ideas about the evolution of the character on the big screen.

"Thor" experienced its own upheaval over the weekend. Stuart Townsend departed the adaptation because of creative differences, according to two AP sources close to the production. Townsend, who had been cast as an ally of the Norse god, was replaced by Joshua Dallas.

The three "Spider-Man" films continually snared moviegoers, earning over $1.1 billion combined. After glowing reaction to the first two films, critical response to "Spider-Man 3" was so-so. Raimi said he was undecided about returning to the franchise after the third movie but later said he didn't like thinking about somebody else making the Peter Parker story.

Sony said it would have more news about the next "Spider-Man" movie in coming weeks.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org...an-franchise-ap

Not sure how I feel about this yet.. While I agree Spider Man 3 was probably the worst of the bunch I was kinda looking forward to 4.. Will have to see Who gets cast etc....

Yea, I heard about this earlier today. I had heard that Raimi had been battling the studio execs about the plans for the fourth movie for a while know, so I guess it's not so strange that they'd get rid of him and find another director (I'm sure it happens all the time in Hollywood), but it is kind of shocking that they'd go to the lengths of dumping everybody else along with him and starting from scratch. Not to mention that going back to his high school years is kind of a dumb idea. The first "Spider-Man" wasn't THAT long ago, for cryin' out loud. That film is still pretty fresh in everyone's mind, I would think.

Y'all know that Spidey is "my boy" so I'm kinda torn about this, to be honest. I thought Raimi & company had done a phenomenal job on the first two films ("Spider-Man 2" is possibly the BEST comic book movie EVER IMO), but "Spider-Man 3" was a pretty major letdown (they crammed waaaaayyyy too many villains into one movie and were playing a little too fast & loose with the Spidey mythology for me). What little advance word I'd heard about the development of "4" indicated that it wasn't going to be much better. John Malkovich was supposedly in talks to play The Vulture (who is not one of Spidey's better villains IMO) and Anne Hathaway was supposed to come into things as Felicia (aka The Black Cat) Hardy, but in the movie she wasn't going to be The Black Cat, she was going to be The Vulture's daughter and become "The Vulturess." So Raimi was apparently butting heads with the studio A-Holes about that idea, as well as their insistence that the next movie be in 3-D (a process that Raimi apparently knows nothing about, and in order to learn it the film would've taken so long to complete that it would've missed its planned release date of 2011).

Ick. After hearing all that, I'm almost relieved that the planned "4" is being sh*t canned.

So on one hand, we're now being robbed of seeing Anne Hathaway in a tight spandex suit (damn!), but on the other hand, maybe they'll get a hotter chick to play Mary Jane Watson in the new movie(s). I was never that crazy about Kirsten Dunst.

I hadn't heard Kirsten wasn't gonna be in the new Spider Man movie, but it makes sense to get a whole NEW cast.. I am a lil torn about this too I mean on one hand I AM interested to see where they will go with it?? But on the other.. We already saw His origin in the first movie, and it was only what 6 or 7 years ago?? I think people have a longer memory then that..... :whistle:

Found some Fun trivia facts over at imdb.com......

Trivia for

Spider-Man 4 (2012) More at IMDbPro »

According to Director Sam Raimi, if he did return to direct Spider-Man 4, the villains would be Electro and Vulture.

Director Sam Raimi stated in a interview with MTV he would like to have The Sinister Six in Spider-Man 4.

David Koepp turned down the chance to write the script.

The film's working title is "The Wedding," in honour of the "The Amazing Spider-Man" comic Annual #21: The Wedding!" which was published in 1987.

Director Sam Raimi is a fan of Morbius the Living Vampire, citing his "combination of superhero + supernatural," (Raimi had started out with horror films.)

Screenwriter James Vanderbilt was signed on after impressing the studio with his focus on characterization.

Producer Grant Curtis, director Sam Raimi and actor Dylan Baker expressed interest in making the film's main antagonist the Lizard (Curtis is a fan of the character). The Lizard's alter-ego, Dr. Curt Connors (played by Baker), had featured in the previous films; in fact in Spider-Man 3 (2007) he was seen carrying out research on animals, which led to his fateful mutation.

Sam Raimi expressed interest in filming second unit shots in his home state of Michigan, having considered it for Spider-Man 3 (2007) before opting for the cheaper area of Cleveland, Ohio.

Bryce Dallas Howard and Thomas Haden Church wanted to return for this film as they felt their characters from Spider-Man 3 (2007) (Howard played Peter Parker's potential girlfriend Gwen Stacy and Church played Spider-Man's enemy the Sandman) still had issues that were left unresolved. Sam Raimi was agreeable about bringing Stacy back, but was less sure about the Sandman.

Will be the first film in the series to not feature one of Spider-Man's archenemies. Unlike other superheroes, Spider-Man doesn't have just one archenemy, he has three. The Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus and Venom are all considered to be Spider-Man's top three enemies in his 'Rogues Gallery'. All three were featured in the previous three films.

I wonder what exactly they will do with Spider Man 4???

Rachel McAdams, Julia Stiles and Romola Garai were rumored to play Felicia Hardy (aka Black Cat).

The Vulture? Bah! Almost rather see Ox and the Enforcers ;)

Rachel McAdams, Julia Stiles and Romola Garai were rumored to play Felicia Hardy (aka Black Cat).

All of that trivia and stuff you posted was rumor-mill crap anyway, as they hadn't even completed a script for "4" yet before sh*t hit the fan. If any of it was official, it probably doesn't matter anyway because all of it is going right out the window now that Raimi's out and a"reboot" is in the cards.

...I still don't understand the reason for going back to Peter's high school days. Been there, done that. Re-cast the leads if you must, but why not continue with the series in the same timeline. I mean, hell, how many James Bonds have there been? How many Batmans (Batmen)?

All of that trivia and stuff you posted was rumor-mill crap anyway, as they hadn't even completed a script for "4" yet before sh*t hit the fan. If any of it was official, it probably doesn't matter anyway because all of it is going right out the window now that Raimi's out and a"reboot" is in the cards.

...I still don't understand the reason for going back to Peter's high school days. Been there, done that. Re-cast the leads if you must, but why not continue with the series in the same timeline. I mean, hell, how many James Bonds have there been? How many Batmans (Batmen)?

I don't understand it either Man.. I mean Why re-tell His origin?? The first movie was about 8 years ago, and People remember it still I would hope... I mean they only did Batman's origin, once, yes?? In Batman Begins?? Hopefully more info will be released this Summer maybe and sill she more light on the story and etc.. I am still hopeful it won't suck like Spider Man 3 did.... Well I shouldn't say "Suck" But 3 was NOT the best Spidey movie of the series...... :whistle:

Well I shouldn't say "Suck" But 3 was NOT the best Spidey movie of the series...... :whistle:

Go ahead, say it. Spider-Man 3 sucked. I say it all the time. That flick came off like Raimi just walked into the writer's room, dumped a few dozen of his favorite Spider-Man comics on the table and told'em "OK, just take a little bit from each of these and cram it all in there."

Gwen Stacy had no business even being in the movie. She was irrelevant to the story (and besides, Bryce Dallas Howard isn't hot enough to play her anyway).

The Sandman DID NOT KILL Peter's Uncle Ben!!! Whoever decided on that little bit of ret-conning should've been taken out and shot.

Venom was completely under-utilized (and besides, they screwed up the whole Symbiote thing anyway). He could've been a whole movie all to himself but they reduced him to essentially a bit player.

When Harry Osborne flew in @ the end of the movie to fight by Spider-Man's side as the "New Goblin" I felt sick to my stomach.

The whole bit in the middle of the movie with Peter looking all "Emo" due to the black costume's influence and that godawful dance scene with Mary Jane in the restaurant was completely, totally f**kin horrible. I felt embarrassed for Tobey Maguire while watching it.

So yeah, it sucked. Sing it loud, it sucked!!!

Well I shouldn't say "Suck" But 3 was NOT the best Spidey movie of the series...... :whistle:

Go ahead, say it. Spider-Man 3 sucked. I say it all the time. That flick came off like Raimi just walked into the writer's room, dumped a few dozen of his favorite Spider-Man comics on the table and told'em "OK, just take a little bit from each of these and cram it all in there."

Gwen Stacy had no business even being in the movie. She was irrelevant to the story (and besides, Bryce Dallas Howard isn't hot enough to play her anyway).

The Sandman DID NOT KILL Peter's Uncle Ben!!! Whoever decided on that little bit of ret-conning should've been taken out and shot.

Venom was completely under-utilized (and besides, they screwed up the whole Symbiote thing anyway). He could've been a whole movie all to himself but they reduced him to essentially a bit player.

When Harry Osborne flew in @ the end of the movie to fight by Spider-Man's side as the "New Goblin" I felt sick to my stomach.

The whole bit in the middle of the movie with Peter looking all "Emo" due to the black costume's influence and that godawful dance scene with Mary Jane in the restaurant was completely, totally f**kin horrible. I felt embarrassed for Tobey Maguire while watching it.

So yeah, it sucked. Sing it loud, it sucked!!!

Well considering you know ALOT more about the Spider Man comics than I do or EVER will?? I guess yea SPierr Man 3 DID kind of suck, didn't it??? :whistle: I didn't HATE the movie, for what it was, it was pretty good, but for being accurate to the Spider Man character and storyline?? Yea it sucked ass.....

I didn't HATE the movie, for what it was, it was pretty good, but for being accurate to the Spider Man character and storyline?? Yea it sucked ass.....

Again... you like everything. :lol: I mean, you own the complete works of Chris Farley/David Spade on DVD, for Christ's sake. :whistle:

Just sayin'.

I didn't HATE the movie, for what it was, it was pretty good, but for being accurate to the Spider Man character and storyline?? Yea it sucked ass.....

Again... you like everything. :lol: I mean, you own the complete works of Chris Farley/David Spade on DVD, for Christ's sake. :whistle:

Just sayin'.

Well not the COMPLETE works no...... Just Tommy Boy and Black Sheep...... :whistle:

• 5 months later...

Meet our new Spider-Man, everybody. Anyone know who he is? I don't. :blink:

andrewgarfield1.jpg

HollywoodNews.com: After a comprehensive worldwide casting search, Andrew Garfield has been chosen to portray Peter Parker when Spider-Man swings back onto the screen in 3D on July 3, 2012. The new film will begin production in early December directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by James Vanderbilt. Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad will produce the film from Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios.

Today’s confirmation culminates what has been one of the most eagerly anticipated casting announcements in recent memory. Bloggers, pop culture speculators, and everyday fans have pored over and analyzed every conceivable online rumor in an attempt to discover the identity of the next actor to play Peter Parker. Garfield will immediately begin preparing for the coveted role.

The Spider-Man franchise is one of the most successful in film history and the three previous motion pictures have collectively grossed more than $2.5 billion in worldwide box office.

On selecting Garfield, director Marc Webb said, “Though his name may be new to many, those who know this young actor’s work understand his extraordinary talents. He has a rare combination of intelligence, wit, and humanity. Mark my words, you will love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker.”

Commenting on the announcement, Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Matt Tolmach, President of Columbia Pictures said, “Spider-Man is a classic superhero — a young man who balances his responsibility to serve humanity and crush evil with the shyness and normalcy of someone struggling to find himself. The role demands an extraordinary actor. You need someone who can magically transform himself from Peter Parker into Spider-Man. An actor who will depict the vulnerability of youth and the strength and confidence of a legendary figure at the same moment. We have found that actor in Andrew Garfield. From the first time we saw him in the upcoming film The Social Network, to his screen test, which floored all of us, we knew that we had found our new Peter Parker.”

I'm no fan of Tobey Maguire, quite the opposite, but I think Spidey 3 was my favourite of the series so far. I like Raimi, but for me he f***ed up - because of his apparent dislike of Venom, the character was underused and killed off far too easily. Venom rocks, plain and simple. I don't want to see more of Peter Parker in high school either, let's see the character mature and develop. Plus I LOVE Kirsten Dunst - the scene when she's standing in the rain, drenched (and Spiderman kisses her upside-down) is one of my all-time favourites. :quagmire:

And if I could choose, I would have Carnage in the next film. All over it, in fact.

I just thought of something.. Sure they fucked up Spider Man 3 with the Sandman killing Peter's Uncle Ben?? but was that ANY worse than Batman and Robin?? with Batgirl aka Barbara GORDON, suddenly becoming Alfred's neice??? WTF????? :blink:

I STILL cringe whenever I see that movie.. Which is RARE nowadays I promise you that..... :puke:

I just thought of something.. Sure they fucked up Spider Man 3 with the Sandman killing Peter's Uncle Ben?? but was that ANY worse than Batman and Robin?? with Batgirl aka Barbara GORDON, suddenly becoming Alfred's neice??? WTF????? :blink:

I STILL cringe whenever I see that movie.. Which is RARE nowadays I promise you that..... :puke:

Oh yeah, the Batman series went straight into the sh*tter with that movie. I try to avoid it whenever possible. It came on TV a year or two ago and my then-4 year old said "let's watch it!" ... he loved it, I kept thinking to myself "Gawd, I forgot how much this movie sucked ass." :rofl:

I swear, sometimes I think the people in Hollywood who are making all these comic book movies have never read a comic book in their lives. They either mess with stuff that doesn't need to be messed with or they add stuff that is just silly. Remember "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace," when Superman repaired the Great Wall of China via... telepathy? There's a skill he never had in the comics. :rofl:

Oh yeah, the Batman series went straight into the sh*tter with that movie. I try to avoid it whenever possible. It came on TV a year or two ago and my then-4 year old said "let's watch it!" ... he loved it, I kept thinking to myself "Gawd, I forgot how much this movie sucked ass." :rofl:

I swear, sometimes I think the people in Hollywood who are making all these comic book movies have never read a comic book in their lives. They either mess with stuff that doesn't need to be messed with or they add stuff that is just silly. Remember "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace," when Superman repaired the Great Wall of China via... telepathy? There's a skill he never had in the comics. :rofl:

Ah Batman and Robin was the first Batman film i saw and at the time i liked it (at about age 8) then i saw the first 3 films and WOW, they sure put perspective on the last one for me.....although Batman Forever got a lot of shit for having Val Kilmer and Robin in it I really liked it, still do....that one seemed to portray the look of the comics really well....not a huge fan of Returns though, always seemed a little too dark and stylistic for my taste :/

as for Superman, seen I, II (Lester and Donner cuts) and Returns....still have III and IV on DVD to watch but i'm not sure i can sit through them now, although i want to xD

Oh, BUT!!! Batman and Robin did have Alicia Silverstone in it, which started a lifelong crush on her xD

:quagmire:

Ah Batman and Robin was the first Batman film i saw and at the time i liked it (at about age 8) then i saw the first 3 films and WOW, they sure put perspective on the last one for me.....although Batman Forever got a lot of shit for having Val Kilmer and Robin in it I really liked it, still do....that one seemed to portray the look of the comics really well....not a huge fan of Returns though, always seemed a little too dark and stylistic for my taste :/

as for Superman, seen I, II (Lester and Donner cuts) and Returns....still have III and IV on DVD to watch but i'm not sure i can sit through them now, although i want to xD

If you were 8 when you first saw "Batman & Robin," you were pretty much right in the target demographic for it. My son saw it when he was 5 and he thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Those of us who were old enough to have seen the previous three films, however, were reaching for the nearest barf bag. :lol:

I didn't mind "Batman Forever" though, to be honest... I thought Val Kilmer was a pretty decent Batman (it probably wasn't a great career move for him to bail out on the character after only one movie; after all, where have you seen him lately? Haha)... 'course my fondness for that film could also be due to my massive 20+ year crush on Nicole Kidman... :giggity:

I only saw "Superman Returns" fairly recently. There was a lot of stuff I liked about it, but also a lot of stuff I didn't like. I guess after waiting nearly 20 years for a new Superman film my hopes were probably a bit too high. As for the earlier films, I'd say stick to I and II. "Superman III" was bad and "IV" was worse. In fact, "IV" is one of the worst, if not THE worst, comic book movie ever made. Simply godawful.

Oddly enough, now that I think about it, probably the most faithful comic-book-to-screen translation I've seen was the 1966 "Batman" movie w/Adam West and Burt Ward... cuz at the time (mid 1960s), that's exactly what the Batman comics were like....flat out freakin GOOFY, and the movie and TV show captured it perfectly....

If you were 8 when you first saw "Batman & Robin," you were pretty much right in the target demographic for it. My son saw it when he was 5 and he thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Those of us who were old enough to have seen the previous three films, however, were reaching for the nearest barf bag. :lol:

I didn't mind "Batman Forever" though, to be honest... I thought Val Kilmer was a pretty decent Batman (it probably wasn't a great career move for him to bail out on the character after only one movie; after all, where have you seen him lately? Haha)... 'course my fondness for that film could also be due to my massive 20+ year crush on Nicole Kidman... :giggity:

I only saw "Superman Returns" fairly recently. There was a lot of stuff I liked about it, but also a lot of stuff I didn't like. I guess after waiting nearly 20 years for a new Superman film my hopes were probably a bit too high. As for the earlier films, I'd say stick to I and II. "Superman III" was bad and "IV" was worse. In fact, "IV" is one of the worst, if not THE worst, comic book movie ever made. Simply godawful.

Oddly enough, now that I think about it, probably the most faithful comic-book-to-screen translation I've seen was the 1966 "Batman" movie w/Adam West and Burt Ward... cuz at the time (mid 1960s), that's exactly what the Batman comics were like....flat out freakin GOOFY, and the movie and TV show captured it perfectly....

nah i'd say that'd go to Sin City but if i recall correctly both the film and comic were 'after your time' xD

I liked Superman Returns a lot, probably my favourite up till now....although the Donner cut of Superman II is also REALLY good, you can't beat Zod when it comes to villains!

I heard Val Kilmer was in the new Knight Rider series? That's about it :P

nah i'd say that'd go to Sin City but if i recall correctly both the film and comic were 'after your time' xD

I never read the "Sin City" graphic novel but I did see the movie... did nothin' for me other than the scenes where Jessica Alba was wearing next to nothing. :lol: It was a great looking movie but I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of it. Too artsy-fartsy for me.

I liked Superman Returns a lot, probably my favourite up till now....although the Donner cut of Superman II is also REALLY good, you can't beat Zod when it comes to villains!

I liked the first half of "Superman Returns" better than the second half. At first it was great seeing "The Big Red S" back in action again. But by the mid point of the movie when Luthor's big bad plan for world domination kicked in it got a little too "grim and gritty" for me. I know that's the trend in superhero films now, to make them all dark and troubled, but that doesn't really work for Superman. He's SUPPOSED to be unrealistic, he's the ultimate all-American red white and blue Boy Scout, rescuing cats from trees, etc. When he got beaten half to death by Luthor's thugs, then Lex stabbed him with the Kryptonite dagger and threw him off the cliff I was like "WTF? Get the f*ck outta here, this is supposed to be SUPERMAN, not Super-b*tch!" It kinda took me out of the movie, if that makes any sense. Then towards the end when he was lying in the hospital with tubes up his nose & stuff, I'm like "OK, I realize that this is more realistic, but Superman's supposed to be tougher than this."

Oh, and Lois Lane's irritating kid (who of course is the subject of a "reveal" late in the film that everyone saw coming from a mile away) should've been written outta the script after the first draft. Though it was kinda funny when he crushed one of Luthor's bully boys with the piano. :rofl2:

I never read the "Sin City" graphic novel but I did see the movie... did nothin' for me other than the scenes where Jessica Alba was wearing next to nothing. :lol: It was a great looking movie but I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of it. Too artsy-fartsy for me.

I liked the first half of "Superman Returns" better than the second half. At first it was great seeing "The Big Red S" back in action again. But by the mid point of the movie when Luthor's big bad plan for world domination kicked in it got a little too "grim and gritty" for me. I know that's the trend in superhero films now, to make them all dark and troubled, but that doesn't really work for Superman. He's SUPPOSED to be unrealistic, he's the ultimate all-American red white and blue Boy Scout, rescuing cats from trees, etc. When he got beaten half to death by Luthor's thugs, then Lex stabbed him with the Kryptonite dagger and threw him off the cliff I was like "WTF? Get the f*ck outta here, this is supposed to be SUPERMAN, not Super-b*tch!" It kinda took me out of the movie, if that makes any sense. Then towards the end when he was lying in the hospital with tubes up his nose & stuff, I'm like "OK, I realize that this is more realistic, but Superman's supposed to be tougher than this."

Oh, and Lois Lane's irritating kid (who of course is the subject of a "reveal" late in the film that everyone saw coming from a mile away) should've been written outta the script after the first draft. Though it was kinda funny when he crushed one of Luthor's bully boys with the piano. :rofl2:

Ah yeah i agree there, but then again the current Superman comics are like that (although that goddamn kid was annoying as hell!), what annoyed me was the plot hole where he just disappeared for 5 years....i dont think Superman would abandon Earth to find survivors of a planet that he knows, for a fact, blew up :s

I loved Sin City!!! My 2nd all time favourite film! Behind The Crow ofcourse which is just my favourite comic adaptation/film ever, you really can't beat The Crow :tumbsup:

The Crow ofcourse which is just my favourite comic adaptation/film ever, you really can't beat The Crow :tumbsup:

Yea, "The Crow" was/is a great flick. The sequels, though... not so much. :lol:

The Crow ofcourse which is just my favourite comic adaptation/film ever, you really can't beat The Crow :tumbsup:

Yea, "The Crow" was/is a great flick. The sequels, though... not so much. :lol:

Backed!! I LOVED the first Crow movie?? But I recorded City of Angels?? Man I want that 95 minutes or so of My life back. .It was God awful!!! :puke:

And yea Avoid Superman III and IV like the plague.. ALthough I DO laugh ALOT at part III..... :rofl2:

I would strongly urge you to read the graphic novels and watch the film again, just in case you change your mind. I read the books, thought they were great and then the film blew me away. What an amazing adaptation, a 10/10 film for me, which is quite a rare event! :popcorn: