Slam Alley "21 Fire" 5 song Ep CD out now

hardrockhaven

I just randomly stumbled across this band a few minutes ago. I took one listen to the sound samples and immediately ordered my copy. To me they sound like a perfect mix of Skid Row meets Dirty Rhythm. Definitely some kickin' sleazy hard rock here from what I just heard. The 5 song EP cd is only $8.99 which isn't half bad. Here's the link to hear them and order:

http://www.demondollrecords.com/Slam_Alley_-_21_Fire.html

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F*ckit. Demondoll just had a 25% off sale last week and I bought up big but avoided this because I couldn't get any samples to work. :( Now I want to re-do my order. I wanted it bad too, mostly because of the Amy Reid cover. ;)

Be warned mate, this will probably be a nice looking CDR. They look pretty good... but I don't think the cheaper ones are silver-pressed. Could be wrong though.

F*ckit. Demondoll just had a 25% off sale last week and I bought up big but avoided this because I couldn't get any samples to work. :( Now I want to re-do my order. I wanted it bad too, mostly because of the Amy Reid cover. ;)

Be warned mate, this will probably be a nice looking CDR. They look pretty good... but I don't think the cheaper ones are silver-pressed. Could be wrong though.

Hmm, well that will suck if it's a CDR. But, I guess if that's the only way to get it, I'll have to accept it. And yeah, that cover is smokin'.

Hmm, well that will suck if it's a CDR. But, I guess if that's the only way to get it, I'll have to accept it. And yeah, that cover is smokin'.

Yeah, as I say I'm not 100% sure but I have the Pretty Wild disc and that's a nicely dressed up CDR so I just assume the others around that price will be too.

Man I wish I'd bought it. The cover was seriously so close to dragging me in.

Yeah, as I say I'm not 100% sure but I have the Pretty Wild disc and that's a nicely dressed up CDR so I just assume the others around that price will be too.

Did you hear the sound samples to it yet?

Did you hear the sound samples to it yet?

Nah, computers been down at home the last few days and haven't really had time to listen to samples there for ages. :( It is in the short-term plan though.

Got this in the mail today. Talk about fast shipping. I think this might be a CDR, but if it is, it's the best looking CDR I've ever gotten. It's got glossy artwork and a nice looking picture on top of the disc. I put this side by side with a silver-pressed disc and it appears to be a little darker than a silver pressed disc. But, unless Geoff had mentioned it earlier, I never would have even noticed. It's even got a barcode on the back.

But, enough about that. This was some kickin' hard rock. I even hear some touches of Slam St. Joan mixed in here. Good stuff. It's a shame it's only five tracks.

On a sidenote, I thought this was a current band, but the copyright info inside the artwork says 1995. Either way, I'm a happy camper. Hard-edged sleaze fans should eat this one up.

Got this in the mail today. Talk about fast shipping. I think this might be a CDR, but if it is, it's the best looking CDR I've ever gotten. It's got glossy artwork and a nice looking picture on top of the disc. I put this side by side with a silver-pressed disc and it appears to be a little darker than a silver pressed disc. But, unless Geoff had mentioned it earlier, I never would have even noticed. It's even got a barcode on the back.

Yep, I hear ya mate! I got my package yesterday (all CDs wrapped and in cases, fast shipping) and they all look excellent. Two were definitely silver (Swingin' Thing and Alleycat Scratch) but I think the rest were not - BUT, as you say, it's very hard to tell. So how the hell did I find out, as I generally care very little about this? Well, the only way I found out they weren't silver pressed was because my stupid f*cked up car stereo doesn't play CDRs anymore - only silver-pressed. :lol: If not for that I don't reckon I'd ever have known.

Anyway, hoping to pick this one up in my next order from them. That and the other one you mentioned.

On a sidenote, I thought this was a current band, but the copyright info inside the artwork says 1995. Either way, I'm a happy camper. Hard-edged sleaze fans should eat this one up.

Also, about this. I believe a lot of the stuff there is older stuff. I know the Sexcess CD I got is.

Hey mate, can you do me a favour? Does it say who the cover model is on that CD? Is it Amy Reid?

Yep, I hear ya mate! I got my package yesterday (all CDs wrapped and in cases, fast shipping) and they all look excellent. Two were definitely silver (Swingin' Thing and Alleycat Scratch) but I think the rest were not - BUT, as you say, it's very hard to tell. So how the hell did I find out, as I generally care very little about this? Well, the only way I found out they weren't silver pressed was because my stupid f*cked up car stereo doesn't play CDRs anymore - only silver-pressed. :lol: If not for that I don't reckon I'd ever have known.

Anyway, hoping to pick this one up in my next order from them. That and the other one you mentioned.

Also, about this. I believe a lot of the stuff there is older stuff. I know the Sexcess CD I got is.

Hey mate, can you do me a favour? Does it say who the cover model is on that CD? Is it Amy Reid?

Haha, no it doesn't say who the cover model is. I had to go and look up who this Amy Reid is that you're talking about. I dunno, it does kinda look like her in several of the photos I saw (that is, when I actually looked up at her face, lol). I typed her name into a search engine and found that she's got her own website where her fingers were doing most curious things :)

I ordered the Debbie Ray cd one day after Slam Alley, so with any luck that one will be here tomorrow. Count me impressed with Demon Doll Records so far.

there is another thread here somewhere about the demondoll cdrs. Yes, some are cdrs, but very difficult to tell from silver pressed.

I have quite a few of their releases and am impressed with them all so far. Just waiting for my latest shipment.

As with retrospect, I gather you can tell wether they are silver pressed or cdrs by the price. $9-10 probably = cdr, $14-15 probably = silver pressed.

Most CD-Rs will have 'CD-R' or 'CD Recordable' (sometimes the length of the audio CD-R like '80') written very small on the inner ring on the plastic mirror side. Also most (some will not) will have black inked numbers on the inner ring.

Most Silver-Pressed CDs will have a lasered barcode on the inner ring (not all), an 'IFPI' plus number stamped on the outer ring into the plastic and a lasered 'IFPI' plus number on the shiney surface of the inner ring.

Most CD-Rs will have 'CD-R' or 'CD Recordable' (sometimes the length of the audio CD-R like '80') written very small on the inner ring on the plastic mirror side. Also most (some will not) will have black inked numbers on the inner ring.

Most Silver-Pressed CDs will have a lasered barcode on the inner ring (not all), an 'IFPI' plus number stamped on the outer ring into the plastic and a lasered 'IFPI' plus number on the shiney surface of the inner ring.

There's a label or printed artwork completely covering the disc. There's nothing showing but the little hole in the middle. There's no numbers or lettering that I can see. If demon doll is doing these up themselves then they are doing a darn good job.

The numbers would be on the other side of the disc artwork if they are not viewable on the art side. Mirror side. If there are IFPIs (which are from the Stamper/Mould), the stamped IFPI on the plastic is better viewable than the lasered IFPI which is usually much smaller than the stamped one. The lasered IFPI is within the shiney surface of the ring. Sometimes hard to see with light reflection but a magnifying glass will make it viewable. That is only if you are really bothered if you got a Silver-Pressed (which usually has IFPIs) rather than CD-R (which usually has no IFPIs). But it is a way to tell for anyone who wants to know this type of thing.

i don't think there's any doubt these are cdrs, but it's just the closest anyone has been able to come to making them look silver pressed. Those that are silver pressed are obviously so with the details you've mentioned above.

Yes. It is nice that some CD-Rs are much better in appearance today from years ago when they looked very crazy with odd colour bottoms. But, a Bootleggers Dream.

On another note, if you really want to know if something is silver-pressed or CD-Rs. Just go to GS1 Barcode Indentifier. Most of the time if you are a good CSI person-type (or have high hopes of having your own cop show one day :D ), you will find good info on companies based on what a barcode lookup finds.

Type the full barcode number in. It will identify the record company or CD Replicator/Duplicator company. Most Demondoll Records CDs start with barcode numbers '810270'

This identity finds that Demondoll uses a duplication company called CD Poster Shop (Website). Then you just search for the shop's online website. Once there you find that the shop does not 'Silver-Press' (Replicate) CDs. They only 'Duplicate' (CD-R) using High Quality Falcon CD-R Media with 'Diamond Silver Bottom' according to their info. Plus they also state that if a person wants a 'Replication', they will have to find a company that does it. So all CDs using CD Poster Shop services with starting barcode numbers '810270' will be CD-Rs (Not Silver-Pressed).

You can do this with most independent companies today as most barcodes used will be from replication/duplication companies... not like the major labels who have their own barcode record label identity which makes it harder to find out who manufactures their CDs for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I really f*cked up by not picking this one up during that sale. I hate to say that despite getting some pretty awesome stuff, this is better than all of it! :lol: Heard it yesterday and I love it. Straight up 80's hard rock anthems - exactly what I love. Waiting eagerly for the next sale so I can pick this one up asap.