KISS' SONIC BOOM to debut @ #2 on Billboard...

Fat Freddy

KISS' long standing dream of having a #1 album on Billboard has been defeated yet again. The first week sales of SONIC BOOM were only good enough to debut at #2 (which is still their highest chart position ever, by the way) behind the new release by Michael Buble' :angry: BOOOOOO!!

KISS: 'Sonic Boom' First-Week Sales Revealed - Oct. 14, 2009

KISS' new album, "Sonic Boom", sold 108,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 2 on The Billboard 200 chart. This marks the band's highest-charting LP ever.

KISS has notched eight Top 10 albums, according to Billboard.com. Its previous highest-charting set was 1998's "Psycho Circus", which debuted and peaked at No. 3 with 110,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The group's other high-charting sets include 1975's "Alive!" (No. 9), 1977's "Love Gun" (No. 4) and 1992's "Revenge" (No. 6).

Last week Blabbermouth quoted some "industry insiders" who had predicted that SONIC BOOM would sell anywhere between 160 and 180,000 copies in its first week... in light of those #'s, I wonder if the actual amount is considered a disappointment.

I'm sure that KISS doesn't care either way... they chart higher than ever, and as for album sales from this point on, Wal-Mart paid'em for the CDs already... selling the rest of 'em is now Wal-Mart's problem.

:kiss:

It's a great achievement and all but I wonder why Walmart didn't promote this release like it did the AC/DC "Black Ice" release. The Walmarts I went into hardly had anything outside of the music section but when the AC/DC came out there were shirts, caps and cds everywhere for weeks prior to the release. I didn't see anything on the Kiss one until the release date. Maybe it was just the Walmarts I was in but I didn't see the Kiss Corners that were supposed to be in the stores. I did see a small display with the cds and M&M's but that's it. Also what happened to the supposed 180K this was selling according to industry insiders? All in all consider how many of these were probably downloaded prior to the release date this was a good accomplishment and it is a damn good Kiss album IMO.

The Walmarts I went into hardly had anything outside of the music section but when the AC/DC came out there were shirts, caps and cds everywhere for weeks prior to the release.

I wondered the same thing...I half expected to see Gene's face in the frozen foods section but when I get there, there's a modest display w/ some CD's and a few merch items...lame promo, IMO.

The Walmarts I went into hardly had anything outside of the music section but when the AC/DC came out there were shirts, caps and cds everywhere for weeks prior to the release.

I wondered the same thing...I half expected to see Gene's face in the frozen foods section but when I get there, there's a modest display w/ some CD's and a few merch items...lame promo, IMO.

Glad to see it wasn't just me. When AC/DC's "Black Ice" was coming out you couldn't hardly move without seeing something from the band or so it seemed. I really expected to see Kiss tshirts and other merchandise displays everywhere to promote the new disc.

Someone else picked up the SONIC BOOM CD for me @ Walmart so I haven't seen the displays (or lack thereof) for myself, but the guy who bought it for me did say there was very little in the way of signage or promotion for it. Just a small display near the music/electronic dept. with the CDs and a couple of the KISSOLOGY DVDs. No sign of the supposed KISS Korner that was supposed to have all the shirts, M&M's, potato heads and other swag.

Like Wes, last year when BLACK ICE was about to drop I went to a Walmart about a week before the release date and they were pimpin' it hard. There were posters all over the store, videos being shown on the in-store TV monitors, and a big display of AC/DC shirts, hoodies and merch in the clothing department.

Sounds to me like Walmart is droppin the ball on this one! :angry:

• 2023 Gold Donors
Someone else picked up the SONIC BOOM CD for me @ Walmart so I haven't seen the displays (or lack thereof) for myself, but the guy who bought it for me did say there was very little in the way of signage or promotion for it. Just a small display near the music/electronic dept. with the CDs and a couple of the KISSOLOGY DVDs. No sign of the supposed KISS Korner that was supposed to have all the shirts, M&M's, potato heads and other swag.

Like Wes, last year when BLACK ICE was about to drop I went to a Walmart about a week before the release date and they were pimpin' it hard. There were posters all over the store, videos being shown on the in-store TV monitors, and a big display of AC/DC shirts, hoodies and merch in the clothing department.

Oh contrair :lol:.....I was in a local Walmart tonight to pick up a couple of things (1 they didn't have :axe: ) & since I was close to the music section I noticed the full she-bang for the Kiss stuff. The Sonic Boom had a fairly big sign above it.....a few steps away was a mini-bar like area full of the potato heads/Kiss M&M's & assorted goodies. Although I didn't have too much time to check 'em all out, I did look at the M&M's which I believe were only two colors with band member emblems/signs on 'em. So, at least this one store was loaded with all the Kiss goodies as well as promotin' 'em quite well! :P I dunno if the folks at Walmart woulda been too happy if I had wanted to take a pic or two of that section :P mostly so as to post 'em & help further promote the Kiss stuff here! Perhaps I'll ask 'em next time? :anon:;):gone:

My only question is HOW did Psycho Circus debut at #3????? :blink:

Yea ok Big comeback release with the original 4, but it was NOT a good album.....

Yes but file sharing wasn't around then for people to find out if they didn't like it before buying it.

Oh contrair :lol:.....I was in a local Walmart tonight to pick up a couple of things (1 they didn't have :axe: ) & since I was close to the music section I noticed the full she-bang for the Kiss stuff. The Sonic Boom had a fairly big sign above it.....a few steps away was a mini-bar like area full of the potato heads/Kiss M&M's & assorted goodies. Although I didn't have too much time to check 'em all out, I did look at the M&M's which I believe were only two colors with band member emblems/signs on 'em. So, at least this one store was loaded with all the Kiss goodies as well as promotin' 'em quite well! :P I dunno if the folks at Walmart woulda been too happy if I had wanted to take a pic or two of that section :P mostly so as to post 'em & help further promote the Kiss stuff here! Perhaps I'll ask 'em next time? :anon:;):gone:

The store I went to had the M&Ms as well and my wife even bought to bags for us, one with the Ace emblem and the other the Gene emblem.

we have all that set up in my store. I even have a boombox playing the cd over top of the cd's. But you paid $6 for those M&M's :crazy:

I didn't pay that my wife did but not sure what the price was since I wasn't there when she bought them.

She migh of been kidding I'm not sure and maybe she meant between the two bags were $6, but not sure.

• 2023 Gold Donors

The store I went to had the M&Ms as well and my wife even bought to bags for us, one with the Ace emblem and the other the Gene emblem.

Ok, cool! Just wonderin' a couple of things with these M&M's.....do they taste any different than the regular ones & also, do ya get "tongued" :yikes: when eatin' the Gene M&M's? ;)

Ok, cool! Just wonderin' a couple of things with these M&M's.....do they taste any different than the regular ones & also, do ya get "tongued" :yikes: when eatin' the Gene M&M's? ;)

Uh noooooooooooo, but they do look cooler than regular M&Ms. :tumbsup: