STARZ-11/14/2009

cdjunky41

• 1 month later...

Well!

I just booked my flight and it'd goin' to start in DETROIT at the TOKEN LOUNGE.

I guess that's the reason I'm up a little early...

A little birdie also told me that It will be recorded live and filmed. It would also be nice if they did a new song :whistle:

tokenbanner2.gif

Well!

I just booked my flight and it'd goin' to start in DETROIT at the TOKEN LOUNGE.

I guess that's the reason I'm up a little early...

A little birdie also told me that It will be recorded live and filmed. It would also be nice if they did a new song :whistle:

tokenbanner2.gif

Bastard :D

• 3 weeks later...
Leaving in a few hours..

Try not to miss me too much... :lol:

I h8 to fly, which means i'll be drinking early to calm my nerves...

Wind gusts up to 30 m.p.h. :o

Yayyy!!!!!

Have a great trip and gig Bro. I want a full report when ya get back :tumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well!

I'm Back!!

Both shows were amazing to say the least. Although they did not play a new song, they did do an acoustic set between their set.

Token in Detroit was more of a personal set (about 100 people showed up). I also was able to get back stage at this gig. A few of us even got to go to breakfast with the band after the show..

BAZOOKA JONES opened the show at the TOKEN. Their brand of POWER POP/GARAGE/ HARD ROCK never ceases to impress me (Good Peeps as well)

STARZ ran through their classic hits off COLISEUM ROCK as well as their debut. Michael and the boys played a flawless set. Half way into their set (To give Michael a break) The boys came out for an acoustic set which featured songs off of Bobby's c.d. and Richie's new c.d. They also did an awesome cover of BLIND FAITH'S- CAN'T FIND MY WAY HOME with BOBBY on vocals. Just a couple of people were not happy with the acoustic set, but the last time they played the TOKEN, they played a full 3 hr set (I Missed that gig :( ).

Next stop BEACHLAND BALLROOM CLEVELAND

It's been a few years since I visited the BEACHLAND. I found out they serve PABST BLUE RIBBON in tall-boys :bananamac:

The first band on the bill was THE SUEDE BROTHERS: What a great band!!! Their firery brand of Stoner rock was a great surprise. You can check them out on myspace or C.D. BABY.

Next up was THE HOT RAILS....WHY? Why weren't they the first band? The singer works for the BEACHLAND as a stagehand Thats why..

I can only recommend their album to people like STARRYDER or MARTIN who need everything under the sun (Not making fun of you guys just stateing a fact :P )

STARZ then got on stage and took the BEACHLAND by storm. I do have a few pics of this show taken by a good friend of mine John Pellet (I suck at taking pictures)

Once again, they played their acoustic set midset and some fans were not happy. Again, no new tune. This time, instead of being up front, I stood in back of the BALLROOM to get the normal feel to the show (Plus it was getting too crowded to be up front).

At the end of their set, I was taken back to the hotel room. I was pretty wasted (The Pabst were going down way too easy and had not eaten).

SETLIST at the BEACHLAND

DSC01574.jpg

INSANE GEORGE

DSC01580.jpg

BOBBY MESSANO

DSC01614.jpg

BOBBY, GEORGE, and M.L. SMITH

DSC01613.jpg

RICHIE & BOBBY

DSC01606.jpg

I found out they serve PABST BLUE RIBBON in tall-boys

Does it get any better than that?? :chug:

Sounds like you had a killer time!! :beerbang:

Great pix and review! I've seen them several times but I had to miss them when they came thru this year. I would have loved to have heard the BF cover :)

Awesome.....I didn't realise Bobby Messano was back in the band - I knew Brendan Harkin had decided against doing anymore live gigs with them...I was wondering who the replacement would be.

How's Michael's voice, on the DVD's from a few years back and the live album he still sounds bang on form, his cowboy shirt on the pics above is a bit much though haha!

Glad you had a good time, I can't understand people moaning about the acoustic set....they're seeing a band many in the U.K. can only dream of seeing...legends in my book!

Awesome.....I didn't realise Bobby Messano was back in the band - I knew Brendan Harkin had decided against doing anymore live gigs with them...I was wondering who the replacement would be.

How's Michael's voice, on the DVD's from a few years back and the live album he still sounds bang on form, his cowboy shirt on the pics above is a bit much though haha!

Glad you had a good time, I can't understand people moaning about the acoustic set....they're seeing a band many in the U.K. can only dream of seeing...legends in my book!

Bobby has been in the band for quite some time now. Michael's voice hasn't been tarnished in anyway.

There was talk of a STARZ/ANGEL show in the U.K., but was squashed due to lack of promoter interest (also bringing 2 american bands to the U.K. would be expensive).

I don't know why M.L. wears those shirts (I'm afraid to ask), but they seem to be less uncomfortable for him to wear on stage.