Roughhouse

martinsane

So as everyone knows, I love this Teeze LP from 84/85' and would love to get the cd, but cost and cdr concerns keep me spinning my LP.

Anyways, I took a little time reading the bands bio, again, and noticed that outside the original Teeze lp and the re-issue lp + 2, there are also some demo's (from the summer of 1989, Galaxy Studios in New Jersey, resulting in a six song master featuring songs such as "Play Dirty", "Drive Me Mad", "Somewhere Girl" and "Action Speaks") and a second session of demo's with new members recorded at "Philadelphia’s famed KayGem Studios (home of Cinderella) and Victory Studios in early 1991. Former Teeze guitarist Brian Stover produced the sessions that gave the band new songs such as "These Blues", "Brass Bed Dance" and "Tears Of Joy"".

After a little searching, I came up empty handed so I was hoping someone may have these tunes on a cdr somewhere they could share or maybe manicego has a box of these "shopped demo's" that he is using for rear-view mirror decor' and would like to share as well. :)

Thanks in advance gang!

Former members of TEEZE & ROUGHHOUSE are in a band called AMERICAN SUGAR BITCH.

They have an album in the data base with their myspace page. I hope this helps.

Certainly worth a look. Thanks!

Here is a quote from the American Sugar Bitch site:

SR: You recently reissued the Teeze album on CD. Are there anymore songs in the vaults for future Teeze releases, and is there any chance of getting Roughhouse re-released as well?

DW: Yes there are many many more songs but I am not sure if they will ever be released for sale. We have so many great tunes in the can. In my opinion there are many songs that should have been on the Roughhouse album, the 2nd Teeze album (never released) and the final Roughhouse demos that were cut or never made it to the stores. The Roughhouse album would have been much better. There are real live hits we have in the can. Songs like Stickin To My Guns, You're Not Meant For Me, Beat Without A Heart, What Should We Do Boys, Play Dirty, etc....

As for pre-Roughhouse stuff??...I think that stuff was just as good or even better. Songs titled: Goin To The City, King Of The Night, Lock Up Your Daughters, Sick Again, Sleaze Patrol etc.... For the time...these kicked ass...I think if the original Teeze went back in for the second LP it would have been real big.

Lastly the final Roughhouse demos are overall the best written in my opinion and the best songs we ever had to date. Song titles like: Tears Of Joy, Brass Bed Dance, These Blues, Wild On You, and Somewhere Girl. This was our hardest, deepest, darkest stuff. Full of balls. Luis maxed out on this stuff. We had Brian Stover producing this last demo and we pushed Louie pretty hard. He is a bit detached in the studio and after years of working with him I find it best to let him go. He takes the song to new places. Once he finds his spot...its all over. The guy is a natural talent and a big bullet to have your belt when recording and writing. He knows the roads to take.

I think those last demos were our best work. Kind of weird, the best stuff came after all of the so called good stuff left us. We had no deal, no careers, nothing. Just like in the very beginning but with years of experience. I think it was just us doing what we wanted and it shows. We have talked of releasing more stuff. Its a challenge just to get these songs into our set at this point. We should be putting some in for our spring and summer shows this year. You can hear unreleased stuff from time to time at the Roughhouse myspace site. All of this stuff may eventually be out again.

Maybe one of our re-issue guru's should try and release these???

I would guess by what I've read that the band would just as soon cut off there own arm than do that, but who knows, sounds like a lot of great material out there...

• 5 months later...
Guest Budster68
So as everyone knows, I love this Teeze LP from 84/85' and would love to get the cd, but cost and cdr concerns keep me spinning my LP.

Anyways, I took a little time reading the bands bio, again, and noticed that outside the original Teeze lp and the re-issue lp + 2, there are also some demo's (from the summer of 1989, Galaxy Studios in New Jersey, resulting in a six song master featuring songs such as "Play Dirty", "Drive Me Mad", "Somewhere Girl" and "Action Speaks") and a second session of demo's with new members recorded at "Philadelphia’s famed KayGem Studios (home of Cinderella) and Victory Studios in early 1991. Former Teeze guitarist Brian Stover produced the sessions that gave the band new songs such as "These Blues", "Brass Bed Dance" and "Tears Of Joy"".

After a little searching, I came up empty handed so I was hoping someone may have these tunes on a cdr somewhere they could share or maybe manicego has a box of these "shopped demo's" that he is using for rear-view mirror decor' and would like to share as well. :)

Thanks in advance gang!

I, in fact, have pretty much all of the stuff you are seeking on CD.

Thanks in advance gang!

I, in fact, have pretty much all of the stuff you are seeking on CD.

Would you share?

• 5 years later...
Guest Mikes1004

Would you be willing to share the unreleased material? I used to see these guys at the empire rock club in Philly as a teen. Was one of my favorite bands.

What is the point in having all of this supposedly excellent stuff in the vaults...if it's really that good, get it out there for people to hear. Release that shit!! Maybe easier said than done but I'd rather low quality demos than nothing at all. And Budsyer 68...what was the point of your post?...if you have it, share it man...hate it when people hold on to rare stuff just to boast- again what's the point? Anyhow did some searching myself and this stuff doesn't seem to be out there. I doubt very much that Budsyer or anyone has this stuff. Would be cool to hear though.

What is the point in having all of this supposedly excellent stuff in the vaults...if it's really that good, get it out there for people to hear. Release that shit!! Maybe easier said than done but I'd rather low quality demos than nothing at all. And Budsyer 68...what was the point of your post?...if you have it, share it man...hate it when people hold on to rare stuff just to boast- again what's the point? Anyhow did some searching myself and this stuff doesn't seem to be out there. I doubt very much that Budsyer or anyone has this stuff. Would be cool to hear though.

Yep, totally agree. Gives me the shits too. I still need to send some dudes here MP3s of stuff they've asked for, or I've offered, and I admit I'm slow and forgetful getting around to it, but I'm happy to share what I have with anyone.

I know I've asked here a few times for the Fate 1992/1993 recordings, and as far as I know Andre has them but if happier to say he has them rather than sharing. ;) Again, like you say, that just seems so pointless to me. Just honestly can't see a point at all to it. And the other one I'd kill to hear is Roxus' 2nd album, but I can't remember if anyone's ever said they have those recordings.

As for having real low quality demos being better than nothing at all... I'm not sure I agree with that anymore. Once, yes, I definitely did. But to me, there is honestly nothing more disappointing in terms of music than hearing a song that is essentially perfect, but the sound quality is barely listenable.

Perfect example is Garrison. With the quality of those songs I should be playing that regularly, and it does get more spins than anything else I have of that sound quality, but it should be played as frequently as a Blue Tears or the like... with proper sound quality. Strike Twice's early demos again, are amazing to me but sound quality prevents further play. And Brunette. Not as amazing as other bands, or probably even as good as Hardline. But I would LOVE to hear those songs well produced. As they are, just can't listen to them. Sound quality is too shit and it's more depressing than good to hear them. Oh, and Pretty Boy Floyd's second disc. Should be as good as the debut, but sound quality on it just kills it.

Guest Mikes1004

Bummer. I've heard most of the unreleased Roughhouse...just couldn't get copies...and it was some of their best stuff. It was decent quality too. I'm guessing legal reasons that it's not out there.