All Time Low - 'Nothing Personal'

Geoff

I don't know if I've ever done a thread on these guys and I can't check because everything about them is less than 4 letters so I can't search.

Either way, I got into this band around 2006 when they released a killer EP called 'Put up or shut up' (all also below 4 letters each) which was one of the best modern rock releases of that year, imo. Then in 2007 they released a full length disc called 'So wrong, it's right' and I have to admit I was left pretty damn unimpressed. Watered down, too poppy, weak hooks - just didn't work for me. Well, today I find out that was actually their 2nd full length disc and they released their debut in 2005. A disc called 'The party scene', which I will track down tonight and hope awfully it sounds like the EP.

Anyway, fast forward to 2009 and they have just released their new CD 'Nothing personal'. And although I am yet to hear the full thing due to my car being a c*nt... it sounds like they're back on track. Full of huge hooks, there are some killer pop rock songs on offer on the first half of this CD so far. Worth checking out for those who like the poppier side of their modern rock every now and then.

http://www.myspace.com/alltimelow

FYI, that new single 'Damned if I do ya (Damned if I don't)' is produced by the mighty Butch Walker.

Tracks:

"Weightless" - 3:18

"Break Your Little Heart" - 2:52

"Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)" - 3:07

"Lost in Stereo" - 3:48

"Stella" - 3:24

"Sick Little Games" - 3:36

"Hello Brooklyn" - 3:30

"Walls" - 3:11

"Too Much" - 4:15

"Keep the Change, You Filthy Animal" - 3:20

"A Party Song (The Walk of Shame)" - 2:59

"Therapy" - 3:44

Cool band, but they've really stepped it up on the new stuff. I've heard a couple of new tunes and am definitely picking this one up....

Cool band, but they've really stepped it up on the new stuff. I've heard a couple of new tunes and am definitely picking this one up....

It is a good one for sure. What have you heard from them in the past? Did you like 'So wrong it's right'? I wonder if I need to give it a second chance.

It is a good one for sure. What have you heard from them in the past? Did you like 'So wrong it's right'? I wonder if I need to give it a second chance.

I always thought they were kinda okay, not amazing. Have their disc somewhere but only really spun it a few times. The new stuff is definitely up a notch, much catchier and a bit rockier too - less polish.

Yep, new disc is definitely the pick. But seriously, try to track down that EP 'Put up or shut up' too. It's really good stuff. And I should mention, it's not a 4 track EP, it's more a 7 (I think) track mini-album. Very consistent and much rockier than 'So wrong it's right'.

Also, I just heard 'The party scene'. In a word; Avoid. It's not the pop-rock kind of vibe they handle so well - more just your really standard, average modern rock attempt. Not great at all.

Never mind - thought you were talking about the mid/late 90s alt-metal band that Alan Tecchio of Hades was involved in (though I wondered why Geoff would've brought them up!)... I got nothin'.

• 1 month later...

Geoff - you picked this up? Is very good stuff. "Weightless" is utterly awesome, but there are 4 or 5 other songs that are very nearly as good...

Geoff - you picked this up? Is very good stuff. "Weightless" is utterly awesome, but there are 4 or 5 other songs that are very nearly as good...

Yeah, just bought this and 'So right it's wrong' in the latest secondspin sale. I like the disc a lot. Much better than the last CD, which was good, but not this good.

• 1 year later...

So how many people have given 'Dirty Work' a go? I heard the MP3s a couple of times before buying it last week... should be here in a couple of weeks. It's a good 'un, but it won't be setting the world alight anytime soon. There are a lot of songs on this (18) and I think there was only one filler amongst the proper songs, minus the clutter at the end - a live song and an acoustic track. So they've done well in that department. I guess I was just hoping they'd put something really amazing out there... which this isn't. Good as it is.

So how many people have given 'Dirty Work' a go? I heard the MP3s a couple of times before buying it last week... should be here in a couple of weeks. It's a good 'un, but it won't be setting the world alight anytime soon. There are a lot of songs on this (18) and I think there was only one filler amongst the proper songs, minus the clutter at the end - a live song and an acoustic track. So they've done well in that department. I guess I was just hoping they'd put something really amazing out there... which this isn't. Good as it is.

It's even more mainstream than the last album, and is pretty much just pop music. There are some catchy tunes but nothing as good as "Weightless" IMO. The media reaction to this has been poor too, and I think (the same happened with Paramore) that this style of pop/rock is pretty much dead and these bands need to evolve or die. Simple Plan haven't sold many records either...