Fair Warning - 'Aura'

Geoff

... Or do these guys genuinely really suck?

Sorry to be harsh, but I just don't "get it" when it comes to these guys. If I was in a rush to go out and buy milk and someone said to me as I was walking out the door, 'What do you think of this CD?' I would have to say, in a hurry, that it swallows and gurgles dog balls. And then I'd leave, in a hurry.

If I sat down on an internet forum and expanded on my thoughts on the album I'd say these guys just bore the living shit out of me. The opening song is pretty cool and would pretty easily fit on one of their first 3 CDs, but what follows after that is just painful to hear. These guys are so freakin' boring, imo. The songs are drawn out, ridiculously samey, devoid of decent hooks or choruses that even really separate themselves from the verses... there is just nothing happening here!

I know these guys have a great reputation and I'll give credit where it's due and admit that there is an album's worth of great songs that you could pluck from s/t, 'Rainmaker' and their crowning achievement, 'Go!'. You could get 10 good songs from those discs and make something worthwhile, but after that I find 'Four', 'Brother's Keeper' and 'Aura' to be total wastes of time.

Am I alone here, or do others find these guys a seriously dull band?

ahh geez, I was hoping reviews around the latest fw to be so much better :(

If you like 'Four' or 'Brother's Keeper' you'll probably dig this one, mate. Though I think even the die-hards will struggle. ;)

ahh geez, I was hoping reviews around the latest fw to be so much better :(

If you like 'Four' or 'Brother's Keeper' you'll probably dig this one, mate. Though I think even the die-hards will struggle. ;)

4 & bk are ok but weak in comparison to fw fantastic debut & their early albums :(

I had high hopes for this, shame to see a band I consider as part of Germany's rock royalty falter :(

Well I'm a big fan of them. IMO they're the best AOR/MHR band Germany have ever produced (beating stupidly overhyped/overrated rivals like Jaded Heart/Frontline into the dust, and even Bonfire SUCKED after "Point Blank"). That said, the "reunion" has produced a couple of pretty average albums. I thought there was barely a filler on any of their first 4 discs, but they've sure made up for that on the last two discs. "Brothers Keeper" was just bland, with only "Generation Jedi" really being a killer tune. "Aura" is better, but still has obvious filler plus some downright awful songs. I do love some tunes on the new disc though, and would recommend it to anyone who liked "Brothers Keeper", but this isn't exactly Top 10 material & is a million miles from albums like the "S/T" or "Go!".

Btw Geoff, I also think it's harsh you review this after listening to a few soundbytes (presumably you haven't got a JAP first edition of this like I have?). Their albums historically need a few spins, and this one is no different at all....

I love the first 4 albums, especially the debut and 'Go', but thought 'Brothers Keeper' was pretty patchy (they were pretty boring live aswell on the same tour, which I think TIM will back me up on when we saw them).I haven't heard any of 'Aura' yet besides a few soundbytes, so I won't judge it on those, but I am planning on getting it when it is released over here. They are a good band in general though, but they really do need to come up with something rather good to keep my interest any further.

Are you crazy? LOL

Fair Warning isnt even worthy of wiping Jaded Heart's ass!!

You're comparing a pinto (Fair Warning) to a Ferrari (Jaded Heart).

Jaded Heart - Helluva Time (Post Bormann) is probably in the best 5 hard rock CD's ever released!!! Granted Sinsister Mind was lacking but thats due to the long time guitarist leaving.

Even old Jaded Heart is stellar.

I agree Bonfire after "Fireworks" became a joke for the most part, and waaaay overated.

Frontline is waaay better as well. Songs like "Againt The World", and "You can't tame me" absolutely kick ass!!!

Btw Geoff, I also think it's harsh you review this after listening to a few soundbytes (presumably you haven't got a JAP first edition of this like I have?). Their albums historically need a few spins, and this one is no different at all....

Nah mate, you should know that's not how I roll. I wouldn't bother with samples of these guys. ;) I've heard the whole thing, including the Jap bonus tracks. Comments are based on an entire (painful) listen of the disc. :)

Well I'm a big fan of them. IMO they're the best AOR/MHR band Germany have ever produced (beating stupidly overhyped/overrated rivals like Jaded Heart/Frontline into the dust, and even Bonfire SUCKED after "Point Blank").

Come on mate, let's be serious.

Bands that destroy Fair Warning, imo:

Bonfire (Even if you only acknowledge 'Fireworks' and 'Point Blank' you can't honestly tell me there is any material on the first 4 Fair Warning discs that match these? Add 'Knock out' and 'Fuel to the Flames' and their best 4 discs are better than FW's best 4, imo. And yeah, the rest of the discography is weak, but not that weak)

Casanova

Pink Cream 69

Place Vendome

Frontline (I know we disagree on these guys, but I'll never get it. Up-tempo, lively melodic rock with stunning hard rock riff after riff, big melodic hooks and choruses on every track... amazed you don't acknowledge them)

Universe

Hotwire

Human Zoo

Jaded Heart (again, 'Slaves and masters' is the weakest they've done and even that is pretty freakin' good. The rest are excellent!)

VICTORY

Bands better than Fair Warning, imo:

Mad Max

Craaft

Roko

Charade

Demon Drive

Sargant Fury

Subway

Wicked Sensation

Wild Frontier

One hit wonders with equal to or better albums than any of Fair Warning's: