KILLSWITCH ENGAGE

TIM (2)

killswitch.jpg

The fact no-one else likes this band isn't going to stop me raving about them. Their new S/T has a lot to live up to, after their last two flawless albums, and instead of getting heavier (as they did on last album "As Daylight Dies") they're more melodic this time round - with plenty of clean vocals. To be honest it doesn't quite top "The End of Heartache", but then no Modern Rock/Metal album does, but it's still utterly awesome & this band just don't write fillers...

Below is their new video for "Starting Over" (after an advert - fucking MTV sucks)

http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/killswitch-en...e-starting-over

Tracklisting:

1. Never Again

2. Starting Over

3. The Forgotten

4. Reckoning

5. The Returns

6. A Light In A Darkened World

7. Take Me Away

8. I Would Do Anything

9. Save Me

10. Lost

11. This Is Goodbye

If nothing else, even the track list looks more promising for a melodic enjoyment ride. Actually really looking forward to hearing this one.

I am so looking forward to this! This is going to be one of the biggest cds of the summer! Also check out the latest from "All That Remains--Overcome" Another kick ass group!

Mate - this crushes the ALL THAT REMAINS disc (though that's a good one too).

HOLY SHIT!!!! Great fuckin' song, I can so understand your love for this track. Please tell me the entire release is similar to this and I'll be buying this ASAFP. Brilliant!!!

BTW, the advert so does not fit the following video, an add for a woman's cereal before a crushing and bruising metal song, they should fire the one responsable for that mess.

HOLY SHIT!!!! Great fuckin' song, I can so understand your love for this track. Please tell me the entire release is similar to this and I'll be buying this ASAFP. Brilliant!!!

BTW, the advert so does not fit the following video, an add for a woman's cereal before a crushing and bruising metal song, they should fire the one responsable for that mess.

Well as usual there's a mix of material ("Reckoning" is pretty heavy stuff) but it's very melodic, in fact "Starting Over" is a pretty strange choice as single as it's not as commercial-sounding as a lot of other tunes. If you love this bands clean-vocals and their catchier songs then you'll definitely like this new material - am sure it will open a whole new audience to them...

Well as usual there's a mix of material ("Reckoning" is pretty heavy stuff) but it's very melodic, in fact "Starting Over" is a pretty strange choice as single as it's not as commercial-sounding as a lot of other tunes. If you love this bands clean-vocals and their catchier songs then you'll definitely like this new material - am sure it will open a whole new audience to them...

I heard "Reckoning" on the bands MySpace page and it's also a great track. I don't have many heavy discs, Trivium is about the only new heavy band I have. From the sample I've heard, Killswitch Engage are just as brutal and melodic, however I can't see them being pigeonholed as Metallica's #1 fans like Trivium.

Maybe it's because the lead singer is black, but he reminds me of the lead singer of Ra in the clean parts. The lead singer of Ra is black right? or sorta black? maybe tanned?.

I have a feeling I'll be picking up lots of new titles in the summer, This one, Dream Theater, Adelitas Way and who knows what else. The summer looks promising.

I heard "Reckoning" on the bands MySpace page and it's also a great track. I don't have many heavy discs, Trivium is about the only new heavy band I have. From the sample I've heard, Killswitch Engage are just as brutal and melodic, however I can't see them being pigeonholed as Metallica's #1 fans like Trivium.

Maybe it's because the lead singer is black, but he reminds me of the lead singer of Ra in the clean parts. The lead singer of Ra is black right? or sorta black? maybe tanned?.

If you like "Reckoning" then you'll definitely love this new disc, it's the heaviest tune. Yeah the lead singer is killer - you should check out the melodic tracks "The Arms of Sorrow" or "My Curse" from their last album (both are on Youtube) - and his clean vocals just soar. Plus they SLAY live, awesome.

Okay guys, I've done it. Gave it a spin. I just have to say off the bat, I'm surprised you guys like his voice. Really not into his vocals, to be honest. I think he's quite a weak vocalist. :(

Anyway, that aside this is pretty nice... for lite AOR. :lol:;) Seriously, this one is a lot lighter than previous efforts, imo, lyrically, vocally and musically. Which don't get me wrong... it's a good thing. For me at least. But yeah, I don't know if I've just heard too much of this type of stuff or what, but this - to me - is no heavier than A Day To Remember or Silverstein. IMO. The screams are no longer indecipherable growls but he actually sings decipherable words in a screamy sort of grumbly way. Sounds much better than previous outings, imo, of course.

I like the disc - I really do. Might even be a big grower, but I just have to admit these guys do anything but stand out for me. Sorry Tim, I know you love them and it's just one of those bands we don't agree on, but I only put them well in the middle of the modern rock pack. Good solid disc, no doubt, but nothing great. Sorry mate. :)

Okay guys, I've done it. Gave it a spin. I just have to say off the bat, I'm surprised you guys like his voice. Really not into his vocals, to be honest. I think he's quite a weak vocalist. :(

Anyway, that aside this is pretty nice... for lite AOR. :lol:;) Seriously, this one is a lot lighter than previous efforts, imo, lyrically, vocally and musically. Which don't get me wrong... it's a good thing. For me at least. But yeah, I don't know if I've just heard too much of this type of stuff or what, but this - to me - is no heavier than A Day To Remember or Silverstein. IMO. The screams are no longer indecipherable growls but he actually sings decipherable words in a screamy sort of grumbly way. Sounds much better than previous outings, imo, of course.

I like the disc - I really do. Might even be a big grower, but I just have to admit these guys do anything but stand out for me. Sorry Tim, I know you love them and it's just one of those bands we don't agree on, but I only put them well in the middle of the modern rock pack. Good solid disc, no doubt, but nothing great. Sorry mate. :)

Really surprised you like A DAY TO REMEMBER but not KsE. :blink: KsE have much more tuneful/melodic choruses. Agree that a lot of this stuff is way past it's sell-by date now though, and suspect only the really big players will be left (AS I LAY DYING/JOB FOR A COWBOY/KsE) as everyone else is changing their style now...

I actually don't like this new disc better than "The End of Heartache", which for me is the best Modern Metal disc in the whole genre, but it's still the best thing I've heard in 2009 so far...

Nah, don't get me wrong mate. I like this just fine and although you're right, I do prefer A Day To Remember, trust me, there's not a big margin there by any means. I actually think that ADTR just have a few really MASSIVE melodic choruses whereas all KE choruses are meodic, but no real huge homeruns. If that makes sense. Both bands are good - seriously enjoy both... but in modern rock it's not the style I go for first.

FYI, just finished my 3rd spin in a row. 'Starting Over' and 'The returns' are my faves, but not a trace of a filler on this one. Solid stuff... just a little unspectacular, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm bored I'll try to be objective about my fave disc so far this year...

1. Never Again - Great powerful opener. Business as usual here.

2. Starting Over - Killer catchy anthem, lush vocals/chorus. Very melodic.

3. The Forgotten - Another great catchy tune with big melodies. Very slick/polished sound.

4. Reckoning - Big song, chorus sticks in your head big-time. Heavier than previous songs.

5. The Returns - All clean vocals here, dark/intense ballad-y number. Great stuff.

6. A Light In A Darkened World - Big live favourite, strong chorus again but a very dark & intense tune.

7. Take Me Away - More laid back tune, very solid but not killer.

8. I Would Do Anything - Song of the year. Immense brutal tune. Love the time-changes, love the chorus. STUNNING.

9. Save Me - Another strong chorus here, but a little too slick/safe for my liking

10. Lost - Another pretty safe number. Enjoyable but not spectacular, & not overly memorable

11. This Is Goodbye - Killer closer with a glorious chorus-line. Another brutal song with big melodies.

Overall I do love this disc, but it's definitely not flawless. Using Brendan O'Brien has brought the best out of the band but the sound is too slick/polished, and their raw aggression is missing. There's no filler here, but tracks 7, 9 & 10 are not as memorable as they should've been - and this is definitely a weaker disc than the mighty "The End of Heartache". That said it's still pretty awesome, this band never release a weak disc and the fact this is short of their last 3 albums is simply because those were all incredible albums.

Overall a 9/10.

8. I Would Do Anything - Song of the year. Immense brutal tune. Love the time-changes, love the chorus. STUNNING.

That is a killer tune. Massive rolling riff. love it.

Spun this again last night... definitely still enjoying it. I don't know enough about these guys to comment on their best album, but I think for me this might be it for me. I do agree with you, Tim, though, it is a little too polished. And by that, I mean I like great production jobs, but a lot of these modern producers keep it clean and tight as hell, but do not steal balls from the recordings. It just feels in a few places like the real power has been taken. As I said above, I think new albums from bands like Silverstein and A Day To Remember even come off sounding a little heavier than this, purely because of the production.

Spun this again last night... definitely still enjoying it. I don't know enough about these guys to comment on their best album, but I think for me this might be it for me. I do agree with you, Tim, though, it is a little too polished. And by that, I mean I like great production jobs, but a lot of these modern producers keep it clean and tight as hell, but do not steal balls from the recordings. It just feels in a few places like the real power has been taken. As I said above, I think new albums from bands like Silverstein and A Day To Remember even come off sounding a little heavier than this, purely because of the production.

Yep O'Brien was a pretty poor choice to produce IMO. Even heavy songs like "The Reckoning" come off sounding slick & mechanical. They can be a brutal band (their live show slays), and their last disc was verging on Deathcore at times, but this one is like a fairly heavy rock album. This is definitely a less memorable album than "The End of Heartache" which is much heavier and hookier, but I'm still playing this pretty regular...

Yeah, I saw them live back in 2005 when I wasn't a fan (Taste of Chaos tour). But they blew my f*cking head off and were actually one of my favourite bands of that night, just based on how awesome they sounded that night.

• 10 years later...

These guys are chugging away with a pretty cool new album, if you've liked them before. They're just doing what they do. Possibly a bit heavier than the last album, but I find their songs quite listenable. The new album is called 'Atonement' and this is my favourite cut from it (don't be mislead - it's the only one without heavy screams);