Hair Metal/Glam "scenes"

JC_AOR

whitelion.jpg

This might be a dumb topic but here goes...

We all know and love music from the "L.A./Sunset Strip" Hair Metal/Glam scene, but are there (were there) other well known and no so well known Hair Metal/Glam "scenes" in the US and other parts of the world??

For example, I've heard of the "Tulsa Glam Scene" and I vaguely remember reading something about a "tri-state" scene in the US (which states?). And what about Tampa, Florida and Bay Area SF, California? I know they were famous for Thrash Metal but did those areas have much of a Hair Metal/Glam scene as well?

What other "scenes" do you know of? Not just in the US but the rest of the world too.

savage87.500w.jpg

There's a cool website dedicated to bands from Detroit, and has heaps of Hair Metal/Glam bands on there. At present there is 1009 Detroit bands listed and a huge number of them seem to be of the Hard Rock variety. I guess Detroit must have had a pretty big Hair Metal scene in the 80's? Check it out:

Motor City Rock

Truth be told MOST of those bands seemed to relocate to either LA or NYC / NJ. In LA we had a lot of bands from Tampa, Dallas (which also had a pretty good - and strong - "glam scene"), Chicago, Toronto, the Carolinas, you name the area they flocked to LA. Even bands from NY/NY/PA (that "tri-state area") were heading to LA.

Outside of the US I recall London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Frankfurt and Stockholm being strong.

Yeah, I think it was pretty much a matter of relocation back in the day.

The hair and glam bands all relocated to LA and all the thrash bands to the bay area.

If you wasnt playing the strip, you wasnt likely to get signed!

Even guys like Phil Lewis and Vicki James Wright knew you had to relocate to make it!

>> Even guys like Phil Lewis and Vicki James Wright knew you had to relocate to make it! <<

LOL My roommate for a while in LA was this girl Leslie who had a thing for Vic. She had an old "Vicki James Wright Band" flyer and setlist she showed me one day. When I looked at it I saw that it was pretty much the full 'Black Hearts And Jaded Spades' album along with "Lightning Strikes" from Tokyo Blade. I ran into him a few weeks after that and brought it up and he did forefinger to his lips thing ("shhhhh!") and laughed and said, "nobody knew!!!"

Good stuff

North Carolina had a few bands that did some cool things back in the day...Firehouse, Dimage, Paris Red, DuBeel all called NC home...obviously, Firehouse was the only one to make it huge...Roy (Rory) Cathey from Cold Sweat was from Raleigh and lives there now and the drummer from Baton Rouge was from and now is back in the Winston-Salem area...

Roy (Rory) Cathey from Cold Sweat was from Raleigh <<

Ahhhh, he was from Fayetteville, actually :) Found out one day when we found out we were on the same flight going to NC for Christmas (my parents live in that huge metropolis known as Whiteville - ha!). And hey, don't forget Sugarcreek / The Creek!

Roy (Rory) Cathey from Cold Sweat was from Raleigh <<

Ahhhh, he was from Fayetteville, actually :) Found out one day when we found out we were on the same flight going to NC for Christmas (my parents live in that huge metropolis known as Whiteville - ha!). And hey, don't forget Sugarcreek / The Creek!

Fayetteville :unsure: Oops. He's a cool guy. A buddy of mine Marc Anthony plays in a band with him called The Fifth now.

I forgot about The Creek...