Martin Popoff - Ye Olde Metal

Nick C

Has anyone bought any of these books...if so what are they like?

I have to say I'm yearning to buy them as I cannot think of anything more I'd like to read as most of the albums are big players in the shaping of my tastes back in the day... there is a series but here's the last three (details sent to me from STARZCENTRAL.COM), but the prices at the moment are a little too high, maybe I could get 1 a month lol!

I think each one covers the story behind the making of each album

Ye Olde Metal: 1976

Max Webster – Max Webster, Scorpions – Virgin Killer, Point Blank – Point Blank, Angel – Helluva Band, Rex – Rex, Moxy – II, Teaze – Teaze, Lone Star – Lone Star, Starz – Starz, Ted Nugent – Free For All, Boston – Boston, Foghat – Nightshift, Kansas – Leftoverture

Photo of Frank Dimino of Angel on cover

Ye Olde Metal: 1977

Derringer – Sweet Evil, Angel – On Earth As It Is In Heaven, Sweet – Off The Record, Moxy – Ridin' High, The Dictators – Manifest Destiny, Starz – Violation, Triumph – Rock & Roll Machine, Styx – Grand Illusion, Motorhead – Motorhead, Lone Star – Firing On All Six, Dirty Tricks – Hit & Run, Piper – Can't Wait, Goddo – Goddo, Ram Jam – Ram Jam, Rex – Where Do We Go From Here?, Point Blank – Second Season, Hydra – Rock The World, Legs Diamond – A Diamond Is A Hard Rock

Photo of Michael Lee Smith & Richie Ranno of Starz on cover

Ye Olde Metal: 1978

The Hounds – Unleashed, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush – Live, Starz – Attention Shoppers!, Yesterday And Today – Struck Down, Teaze – On The Loose, Ram Jam – Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Ram, The Dictators – Bloodbrothers, The Boyzz – Too Wild To Tame, Starz – Coliseum Rock, The Godz – The Godz, DMZ – DMZ, Styx – Pieces Of Eight, Pat Travers – Heat In The Street, Dead Boys – We Have Come For Your Children, Streetheart, Meanwhile Back In Paris…, Uriah Heep – Fallen Angel

Has anyone bought any of these books...if so what are they like?

I have to say I'm yearning to buy them as I cannot think of anything more I'd like to read as most of the albums are big players in the shaping of my tastes back in the day... there is a series but here's the last three (details sent to me from STARZCENTRAL.COM), but the prices at the moment are a little too high, maybe I could get 1 a month lol!

I think each one covers the story behind the making of each album

Ye Olde Metal: 1976

Max Webster – Max Webster, Scorpions – Virgin Killer, Point Blank – Point Blank, Angel – Helluva Band, Rex – Rex, Moxy – II, Teaze – Teaze, Lone Star – Lone Star, Starz – Starz, Ted Nugent – Free For All, Boston – Boston, Foghat – Nightshift, Kansas – Leftoverture

Photo of Frank Dimino of Angel on cover

Ye Olde Metal: 1977

Derringer – Sweet Evil, Angel – On Earth As It Is In Heaven, Sweet – Off The Record, Moxy – Ridin' High, The Dictators – Manifest Destiny, Starz – Violation, Triumph – Rock & Roll Machine, Styx – Grand Illusion, Motorhead – Motorhead, Lone Star – Firing On All Six, Dirty Tricks – Hit & Run, Piper – Can't Wait, Goddo – Goddo, Ram Jam – Ram Jam, Rex – Where Do We Go From Here?, Point Blank – Second Season, Hydra – Rock The World, Legs Diamond – A Diamond Is A Hard Rock

Photo of Michael Lee Smith & Richie Ranno of Starz on cover

Ye Olde Metal: 1978

The Hounds – Unleashed, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush – Live, Starz – Attention Shoppers!, Yesterday And Today – Struck Down, Teaze – On The Loose, Ram Jam – Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Ram, The Dictators – Bloodbrothers, The Boyzz – Too Wild To Tame, Starz – Coliseum Rock, The Godz – The Godz, DMZ – DMZ, Styx – Pieces Of Eight, Pat Travers – Heat In The Street, Dead Boys – We Have Come For Your Children, Streetheart, Meanwhile Back In Paris…, Uriah Heep – Fallen Angel

I certainly wouldn't mind a read of all 3 of those. Quality.

By the way - Did you get that Saga biography in the end mate?

I got a couple :tumbsup:

1968 to 1972

1973 to 1975

Interesting reading. They are a little pricey, but Martin is top notch in the field!!

I disagreed with him on the comments he made in his other books, but opinions vary.

Backed on all counts. Martin seems to like the grunge scene in the 90's and NOT much of an AOR fan, but I do agree with alot of his early rock opinions (well, more like some). Regardless, pretty good writing even if I do shake my head sometimes (and mouth the word bastard).

I got a couple :tumbsup:

1968 to 1972

1973 to 1975

Interesting reading. They are a little pricey, but Martin is top notch in the field!!

I disagreed with him on the comments he made in his other books, but opinions vary.

Backed... :banger:

It was in his guide to 1970's Heavy Metal that I read that he gave Black Sabbath's "Never Say Die" a 10 out of 10.

I still would like to send Mr. Popoff the receipt for that purchase to demand him to pay for it.

Well!

I'm sure we all have that album that would make anybody say WHAT THE FUCK!!!

I'm not sticking up for MR. POPOFF.

I'm a huge STARZ fan! What I don't understand is Martin Blasted STARZ in his 70's book. The band didn't even make MARTY'S top 100 heavy metal albums section (IGGY POP & DERRINGER did).

Yet he has them on the cover for 1978 (Which is fine by me). I just don't get it!!

He also gave B.T.O.'S NOT FRAGILE a 7/8 to me, It would be a 10!!!

I don't want to be too hard on the guy. I will buy all his books as I have in the past....