ALL THAT REMAINS - "Overcome"

TIM (2)

http://www.myspace.com/allthatremains

They've really toned down the Metalcore on this new disc, & cranked up the technicality (love the scorching solos). Cool stuff... :banger:

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.myspace.com/allthatremains

They've really toned down the Metalcore on this new disc, & cranked up the technicality (love the scorching solos). Cool stuff...

Didn't care for the band's last album, but this sounds pretty good. I'll add this to my ever-expanding list of CDs to buy.

I also haven't cared for their past work, but after a few comments from Sir Tim my interest in this is there. I'll have to check it out. How much screaming are we talking on this one?

How much screaming are we talking on this one?

Hardly any. In fact they've gone too far with this one IMO. The production is sensational, & I love the guitar work, but songs like "Two Weeks" and "Chiron" are just like pop/metal. The singer is awesome, one of the best vocalists in the genre, but it's a pretty dramatic shift....

How much screaming are we talking on this one?

Hardly any. In fact they've gone too far with this one IMO. The production is sensational, & I love the guitar work, but songs like "Two Weeks" and "Chiron" are just like pop/metal. The singer is awesome, one of the best vocalists in the genre, but it's a pretty dramatic shift....

Excellent! I'll be checking it out asap!! :)

Wow, listen to that chorus in 'Chiron'!!! I'm up to track 6 and I like this. Again, I feel it's going to be one of those screamo albums (there's still quite a lot of screaming here) that I enjoy - seriously, this is really cool - but when it comes down to the crunch in the future I am not sure this'll be the kind of album I reach for in my car stereo. That said, it's entertaining me delightfully at the moment. Nice guitar work too.

• 2 months later...

Finally picked this one up and am really liking it. This is the sort of modern heavy/thrash metal I like: some screams here and there, but with commercial, cleanly-sung choruses. Thanks to Tim(2) for the recommendation on this one; hell, 98% of my modern heavy/thrash metal collection was purchased based on his suggestions! (But I'm still too wussy to listen to Job for a Cowboy.)

Their second album "The fall of ideal" is sensational IMO. One of the best modern metal albums ever made. It is very agressive but with melodic choruses that you can die for. Just listen to "This calling". It's also good to here a modern rock band that gives away some great guitar solos.

Sorry lads but I don't think Overcome is near as good as Fall of ideals. But I will most likely go and watch them play here in Sweden.

Finally picked this one up and am really liking it. This is the sort of modern heavy/thrash metal I like: some screams here and there, but with commercial, cleanly-sung choruses. Thanks to Tim(2) for the recommendation on this one; hell, 98% of my modern heavy/thrash metal collection was purchased based on his suggestions! (But I'm still too wussy to listen to Job for a Cowboy.)

Glad you like it! I actually agree with Ali Rock in that it's not as good (though much more commercial & better produced) than "The Fall of Ideals" which is a stunning Metalcore disc, one of the best ever IMHO. Another disc I reckon you'd like, if you haven't already heard it, is SONIC SYNDICATE'S "Love & Other Disasters". Ignore the disappointing first single "Jack of Diamonds" & pick up the album, some of the years best chorus-lines on this one....

Glad you like it! I actually agree with Ali Rock in that it's not as good (though much more commercial & better produced) than "The Fall of Ideals" which is a stunning Metalcore disc, one of the best ever IMHO. Another disc I reckon you'd like, if you haven't already heard it, is SONIC SYNDICATE'S "Love & Other Disasters". Ignore the disappointing first single "Jack of Diamonds" & pick up the album, some of the years best chorus-lines on this one....

I have actually had it in the player the last couple of time I have excercised. Some of the songs are good. I think Powershift is great. It is better than the last album IMO. They have taken a leap from the last album. If they are out playing as much as they are doing at the moment they will be great in the future.

The have recieved so much bad gossip here in Sweden. Many people say they are a copy of In Flames. This is propably because they are very young and we have a large jealousy in Sweden.

I also think the production by Jonas Kjellgren is better on this album. Have you heard of his band "Scar Symmetry". A great band in my opinion. The last album is softer than the previous but I think both are great. They are such great musicians in that band, especially the guitarists.

Glad you like it! I actually agree with Ali Rock in that it's not as good (though much more commercial & better produced) than "The Fall of Ideals" which is a stunning Metalcore disc, one of the best ever IMHO. Another disc I reckon you'd like, if you haven't already heard it, is SONIC SYNDICATE'S "Love & Other Disasters". Ignore the disappointing first single "Jack of Diamonds" & pick up the album, some of the years best chorus-lines on this one...

IMO, this blows away "The Fall of Ideals," which I spun only once and immediately jettisoned like a pair of shoes that just don't fit; something about it failed to click with me. Not really surprising though, because as you know by now, I like the more commercial side of the heavy/thrash/core metal genre.

Will check out Sonic Syndicate ASAP.

Glad you like it! I actually agree with Ali Rock in that it's not as good (though much more commercial & better produced) than "The Fall of Ideals" which is a stunning Metalcore disc, one of the best ever IMHO. Another disc I reckon you'd like, if you haven't already heard it, is SONIC SYNDICATE'S "Love & Other Disasters". Ignore the disappointing first single "Jack of Diamonds" & pick up the album, some of the years best chorus-lines on this one...

IMO, this blows away "The Fall of Ideals," which I spun only once and immediately jettisoned like a pair of shoes that just don't fit; something about it failed to click with me. Not really surprising though, because as you know by now, I like the more commercial side of the heavy/thrash/core metal genre.

Fuelhead is another unknown Swedish band which is worth checking out if you like more melodic modern metal. :guitbannana:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=40436964

Fuelhead is another unknown Swedish band which is worth checking out if you like more melodic modern metal.

Checked out Sonic Syndicate and liked everything except the vocalist; something about the way he screams just grated on me. You were spot-on about those stellar choruses though...

Will try to listen to Fuelhead tonight. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

The have recieved so much bad gossip here in Sweden. Many people say they are a copy of In Flames. This is propably because they are very young and we have a large jealousy in Sweden.

I also think the production by Jonas Kjellgren is better on this album. Have you heard of his band "Scar Symmetry". A great band in my opinion. The last album is softer than the previous but I think both are great. They are such great musicians in that band, especially the guitarists.

Yeah there's definitely an element of In Flames there, but lets face it... even In Flames are rehashing their own formula these days. And, like Soilwork, just making it more & more melodic each time. I do like Scar Symmetry (though Kjellgren just left to focus on producing albums, I believe), but their latest album is a little too melodic IMO. "Pitch Black Progress" was better. But Sonic Syndicate's "Love..." is a killer disc IMO, such amazing tunes & choruses... :banger:

Yeah there's definitely an element of In Flames there, but lets face it... even In Flames are rehashing their own formula these days. And, like Soilwork, just making it more & more melodic each time. I do like Scar Symmetry (though Kjellgren just left to focus on producing albums, I believe), but their latest album is a little too melodic IMO. "Pitch Black Progress" was better. But Sonic Syndicate's "Love..." is a killer disc IMO, such amazing tunes & choruses... :banger:

Kjellgren is still working alot with Scar Symmetry. Actually the singer has left and and one has become two singers. One growling and one singing the clean stuff. I also think Pitch black progress is their best effort.

Try Fuelhead the are also quite good not that much growl and maybe a little bit melodic for my taste.

...In Flames are rehashing their own formula these days. And, like Soilwork, just making it more & more melodic each time.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. :P

...In Flames are rehashing their own formula these days. And, like Soilwork, just making it more & more melodic each time.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. :P

Yeah yeah! I can see why people love the more commercial sound of their last 2 albums, but it needs to be heavier for me. Plus I always thought CHILDREN OF BODOM were a better band anyway....