Khymera

Dead Planet

Oh wow, can't wait for this one!!! I love 'The new promise'.

Me too. If anyone isnt at work & can play the soundbytes would love to hear how they sound...

Me too. If anyone isnt at work & can play the soundbytes would love to hear how they sound...

Its sounding good... just had a quick listen to a few of the samples. Sounds like a good follow on from the last album.

Why wasnt Ward singing lead long ago in some way!

Its sounding good... just had a quick listen to a few of the samples. Sounds like a good follow on from the last album.

I agree. He has a great voice and I would have loved to hear him sing on the debut Khymera release too. Would have boosted that CD’s quality up a bit too.

I agree. He has a great voice and I would have loved to hear him sing on the debut Khymera release too. Would have boosted that CD’s quality up a bit too.

I dunno, I thought his voice was no better than okay. Not much range to it. They really need to get someone like Jeff Scott Soto singing on these albums...

I dunno, I thought his voice was no better than okay. Not much range to it. They really need to get someone like Jeff Scott Soto singing on these albums...

I thought he actually sounded like Soto in places. :)

I love Soto as much as the next guy but he's already on so many albums it's nice to have a different voice here and there.

I love Soto as much as the next guy but he's already on so many albums it's nice to have a different voice here and there.

agreed

Fair point about Soto being everywhere though, & this stuff is probably a bit lite for him. They do need a decent vocalist if Khymera is going to be a long-term thing though. A shot-to-pieces Steve Walsh & a bassist/producer-turned vocalist without much power/range doesn't cut it for me. The acoustic version of "If You Dare To Dream" that was on the Jap version of the last album was sung totally out-of-tune, worse than Poley on the first Melodica CD....

• 5 months later...

Well pat my buttocks with a cricket bat if I'm not coming around full circle with this one.

When I heard it I was in love and raved about how it was better than 'A new promise' but after a few spins I put it back in line and realised it wasn't quite that good... then I even went as far as to (stupidly say) I was kind of "over it". I just looked at my last 'Best of 08' list and it was at 17th postition??? Well, I just fixed that up and it's back in the top 10, just knocking out Journey.

Thank Jeebers I had the good sense to spin this in all it's glory last night as I made pizza. After all is said and done, this is as good as I first thought it was - gem after gem... which in reality is not quite as good as 'A new promise', but still excellent in it's own right.

I am back on track.

Well pat my buttocks with a cricket bat if I'm not coming around full circle with this one.

When I heard it I was in love and raved about how it was better than 'A new promise' but after a few spins I put it back in line and realised it wasn't quite that good... then I even went as far as to (stupidly say) I was kind of "over it". I just looked at my last 'Best of 08' list and it was at 17th postition??? Well, I just fixed that up and it's back in the top 10, just knocking out Journey.

Thank Jeebers I had the good sense to spin this in all it's glory last night as I made pizza. After all is said and done, this is as good as I first thought it was - gem after gem... which in reality is not quite as good as 'A new promise', but still excellent in it's own right.

I am back on track.

it's also worn thin on me... along with work of art but that action's s-t is still up there. :beerbang:

I am back on track.

it's also worn thin on me... along with work of art but that action's s-t is still up there. :beerbang:

I heard that ACTION album & thought it was pretty average. I LOVE the Khymera. I've always thought it was their best album yet, some amazing tunes. Plus even the vocals sound okay this time around....

I am back on track.

I heard that ACTION album & thought it was pretty average. I LOVE the Khymera. I've always thought it was their best album yet, some amazing tunes. Plus even the vocals sound okay this time around....

I was really excited about Action, but it turned out to be more forgettable melodic rock that doesnt need to be heard.

Khymera at first was thin, but has grown alot on me now. Still dont think its as good as a new promise.

Tim you dont like Wards vocals? I love them

I love Dennis' vocal chords too.

I like Action, but as I said many times there is just too much potential left on the table to put that one up with the big boys. Good disc, but should have been so much more. I prefer Khymera and Work Of Art, but I am a big fan of Action too. Three great releases.

• 11 months later...

Had to revive this thread as I've been listening to this CD quite a bit lately because it's SO DAMN AWESOME!

I'm admittedly old-school, and don't buy much "new" music unless it sounds like it could have been released in 1985... Can anyone provide me with more "new" titles in the same vein as Khymera (I don't keep up on new releases all that often)?

This one harkens back to Giuffria - Silk & Steel and that's a REALLY good thing for me and I WANT MORE!