Faber Drive

Geoff

About a month ago Dave (zacharyamelie) kindly let me know I needed to check these guys out, and it's now time to say a huge thanks. I finally got around to hearing their new album 'Seven second surgery' and these guys are absolutely awesome. If you like SR-71 or Hedley it is a guarantee that you will love these guys too.

The choruses are just mind blowing... there's solos and pretty much every song is excellent. Be warned this is on the lighter side of current rock bands, but check them out and surprise yourself:

Official site:

http://www.faberdrive.com/index.htm

Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/faberdrive

Videos:

'Second chance':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqLyLo39Xk

'Tongue Tied':

Whoops... sorry, there was another thread too:

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.ph...;hl=faber+drive

Hear Hear! Yes, Faber Drive "Seven Second Surgery" is indeed a fantastic slice of modern melodic rock. And, IMO, blows away anything SR-71 and Hedley have done. This band needs to get the attention they deserve. "Second Chance" and "Sleepless Nights" are killer.

Hear Hear! Yes, Faber Drive "Seven Second Surgery" is indeed a fantastic slice of modern melodic rock. And, IMO, blows away anything SR-71 and Hedley have done. This band needs to get the attention they deserve. "Second Chance" and "Sleepless Nights" are killer.

Wow, big call mate, but I agree these guys are great. To be honest, I don't think they're as good as the mighty SR-71 and I probably still prefer Hedley... but they're close. These guys have everything going for them and I love the hell out of them ('Second Chance' will more than likely make my top 10 songs this year) but my only slight, tiny "thing" with them is every now and then I get small flashes of Simple Plan and Busted when I'm listening to them.

There's just that slight, and ever so slight leaning with these guys towards pop over rock. Still, they do kick ass and I am absolutely loving the CD. I'll be interested to see if I actually end up preferring 'Seven Second Surgery' over Hedley's newie, 'Famous Last Words'. I love both... it's going to be a tight contest.

Bump. Any more thoughts on this one? This is the best debut from a new band in 2007, if you ask me. Absolutely loving this disc!!!

Tim, you heard it yet?

Yeah I've been playing this one quite a bit. It's one of the better modern releases of this year. I pretty much enjoy the whole CD.

Yeah, everytime I pop it in I think it fades off towards the end... but it doesn't. Every song is actually really good to excellent. Even the Simple Plan-esque closer.

Bump. Any more thoughts on this one? This is the best debut from a new band in 2007, if you ask me. Absolutely loving this disc!!!

Tim, you heard it yet?

Just checked this out, & I f***ing love it. Man that "Second Chance" tune is absolutely huge. I am all over this. Top recommendation.

• 1 year later...

For those interested:

The band is currently their working on their new single "Move Your B-B-Body" which is produced by Dave Rave Ogilvy (Nine Inch Nails). The Single should be hitting the radio in middle or end of May.

The album is due to be released in the beginning in summer (July).

Hate the single title but this could be a contender this year.

For those interested:

The band is currently their working on their new single "Move Your B-B-Body" which is produced by Dave Rave Ogilvy (Nine Inch Nails). The Single should be hitting the radio in middle or end of May.

The album is due to be released in the beginning in summer (July).

Hate the single title but this could be a contender this year.

Yes, I AM interested. Let us know when the single hits the air. I can't wait to hear some new material from this band. These guys just do killer choruses.

• 5 months later...

Well guys, colour my balls with purple paint, ogle them and tell your friends, but I got to hear the new album, 'Can't keep a secret' last night. Released on 10th of November, if I understand correctly. Here's the new tracklist:

1. The Payoff

2. G-Get Up And Dance!

3. You And I Tonight

4. I'll Be There

5. Give Him Up

6. Our Last Goodbye

7. Lucky Ones

8. Forever

9. Never Coming Down

10. Just What I Needed

11. By Your Side

12. I'll Be There [Ft. Jessie Farrell]

Check out the magnificent ballad, 'You and I tonight'. Sadly, the other two new tracks on myspace are not overly representitive of the whole CD:

As I was saying in the first spins thread, if you love the debut you'll love this. There are a few songs like 'The Payoff', 'G-Get Up And Dance!' and 'Give Him Up' which really see the band trying to break with a hit single... but the fact is I love these songs too. These guys just cannot write a poor hook/chorus. Every song is so freakin' catchy.

Only negatives of the album are the slightly electronic feel of those 3 songs, the double-up of the amazing 'Ill be there' (there is the original version as well as a duet at the end of the album) and a cover song - 'Just what I needed'. But to counter these negatives, the 3 electronic songs are still great and the cover of 'Just what I needed' is actually magnificent.

As for the rest of the songs... love them all. I was hoping the band would go in a little heavier direction and if anything they've gone in a little softer/poppier direction, but there's just no mistaking the ability of these guys to write a stunning hook/chorus. This will be in my modern top 5 without a doubt.

Well guys, colour my balls with purple paint, ogle them and tell your friends, but I got to hear the new album, 'Can't keep a secret' last night. Released on 10th of November, if I understand correctly. Here's the new tracklist:

1. The Payoff

2. G-Get Up And Dance!

3. You And I Tonight

4. I'll Be There

5. Give Him Up

6. Our Last Goodbye

7. Lucky Ones

8. Forever

9. Never Coming Down

10. Just What I Needed

11. By Your Side

12. I'll Be There [Ft. Jessie Farrell]

Check out the magnificent ballad, 'You and I tonight'. Sadly, the other two new tracks on myspace are not overly representitive of the whole CD:

As I was saying in the first spins thread, if you love the debut you'll love this. There are a few songs like 'The Payoff', 'G-Get Up And Dance!' and 'Give Him Up' which really see the band trying to break with a hit single... but the fact is I love these songs too. These guys just cannot write a poor hook/chorus. Every song is so freakin' catchy.

Only negatives of the album are the slightly electronic feel of those 3 songs, the double-up of the amazing 'Ill be there' (there is the original version as well as a duet at the end of the album) and a cover song - 'Just what I needed'. But to counter these negatives, the 3 electronic songs are still great and the cover of 'Just what I needed' is actually magnificent.

As for the rest of the songs... love them all. I was hoping the band would go in a little heavier direction and if anything they've gone in a little softer/poppier direction, but there's just no mistaking the ability of these guys to write a stunning hook/chorus. This will be in my modern top 5 without a doubt.

I had no idea they had a new album out. Awesome, thanks for the heads up Geoff. 'Seven Second Surgery' was killer. I must now hunt down this newie. Thoughts and opinions to come shortly :)

Yeah Chris, I think you'll love the ballads but I'm a little nervous having just spun 'Seven Second Surgery' this morning. I (rightfully so) compared that CD to the likes of SR-71 and Hedley. Who whilst being pop-orientated, do still rock hard enough.

However, I'd compare this new album more to the likes of stuff like Boys Like Girls. Whereas the debut was just guitars, bass, drums and some faint keys, there is absolutely NO mistaking the electronic influence on the more uptempo songs on the new CD. And overall, it is softer. The ballads are flawless and untainted, but I am concerned what a few of you guys will think of some of these songs. Could be patchy affair for some. I seriously await your thoughts on it. :)

Yeah Chris, I think you'll love the ballads but I'm a little nervous having just spun 'Seven Second Surgery' this morning. I (rightfully so) compared that CD to the likes of SR-71 and Hedley. Who whilst being pop-orientated, do still rock hard enough.

However, I'd compare this new album more to the likes of stuff like Boys Like Girls. Whereas the debut was just guitars, bass, drums and some faint keys, there is absolutely NO mistaking the electronic influence on the more uptempo songs on the new CD. And overall, it is softer. The ballads are flawless and untainted, but I am concerned what a few of you guys will think of some of these songs. Could be patchy affair for some. I seriously await your thoughts on it. :)

WTF...I'll say it again, WTF. How did we go from 'Seven Second Surgery' to this? O man, to say I'm a bit disappointed would be an understatement. But, after reading somewhere that they lost their main songwriters and their lead guitarist, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. They were definitely a smooth polished rock band to begin with, but these electronic and pop influences just did not cut it. The saving grace on this album is that the ballads are still pretty good. 'You and I' was definitely the best of the bunch. I dunno Geoff, I think I might download two, maybe three songs, and call it a day on this one. I don't think I'll be tracking a hard copy down. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I didn't even know that about the guitarist but now that I do it explains a lot. They mustn't have much confidence in the new guitarist as he is nowhere near as present as the last guy was.

I do wonder about the "main song writer" having left the band, though. I assume the guitarist probably wrote a lot of the music, including guitar parts (I will check my CD in the car on the way home) but there is no mistaking that the lyrics and ability to pen an amazing hook and infectious chorus is still extremely present.

Wow, I didn't even know that about the guitarist but now that I do it explains a lot. They mustn't have much confidence in the new guitarist as he is nowhere near as present as the last guy was.

I do wonder about the "main song writer" having left the band, though. I assume the guitarist probably wrote a lot of the music, including guitar parts (I will check my CD in the car on the way home) but there is no mistaking that the lyrics and ability to pen an amazing hook and infectious chorus is still extremely present.

That part about the main songwriters and lead guitarist leaving I read from a customer reviewer on Itunes. I never did verify it myself. But, whether he's gone or not, this sophmore release doesn't come anywhere near the debut. Can they really believe that this is what fans of the first release wanted to hear? Again, the couple of ballads are good. The rest of the album is a complete throwaway no matter how much I like the band.

That part about the main songwriters and lead guitarist leaving I read from a customer reviewer on Itunes. I never did verify it myself. But, whether he's gone or not, this sophmore release doesn't come anywhere near the debut. Can they really believe that this is what fans of the first release wanted to hear? Again, the couple of ballads are good. The rest of the album is a complete throwaway no matter how much I like the band.

Yeah, I checked on wikipedia after your post and sure enough, the original guitarist and drummer did leave the band. Original vocalist and bass player still there. I do also believe the debut is far superior but I do think 'You And I Tonight', 'I'll Be There', 'Our Last Goodbye' and 'Forever' are all easily on par with the material from that CD.

Of the rest, here's my quick summation:

'The Payoff' ; a song desperately aimed at radio success. I actually like it, but it is totally throwaway stuff.

'G-Get Up And Dance!' ; negative stuff. 80% dance / 20% rock... but again, I'd be lying if I said I hated the hook.

'Give Him Up' ; again, painfully electronic but I'll be goddamned if I don't actually really dig this song. I actually love it. :lol::(

'Lucky Ones' ; another great ballad. Not as excellent as the 4 I noted above, but almost there. Great track.

'Never Coming Down' ; songwise the most average thing on the CD. Again, though, I still like it. Good, just not amazing stuff.

'Just What I Needed' ; this CD did not need a cover, but this is a good version of this song.

'By Your Side' ; another excellent ballad. Again, not as good as the above 4 but by no means a slouch.

'I'll Be There [Ft. Jessie Farrell]' ; I hate when bands repeat songs on CDs. Wasted track.

So there, as you can see there's actually nothing I dislike on here. I fully understand and appreciate the disappointment aimed at the electronic influence, and as I said above I was hoping they'd rock it up more when they in fact went the opposite route, but I can't deny that I still love it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else try this one out yet? I have to say, I'm loving it. If I honestly compare it to the debut I don't really think there's that much more pop influence this time round. There's only a couple of songs that really incorporate electronic overkill in them, but the rest is very much in line with what the debut offered. Loving these songs! :)

Anyone else try this one out yet? I have to say, I'm loving it. If I honestly compare it to the debut I don't really think there's that much more pop influence this time round. There's only a couple of songs that really incorporate electronic overkill in them, but the rest is very much in line with what the debut offered. Loving these songs! :)

Finally got around to checking this out. I was a fan of the debut and I think this one is pretty good as well. 'You And I Tonight' is the best of the ballad type songs and the rest of the CD is really good as well. Nothing to skip over. I don't really like the way they did the Cars cover though.

Finally got around to checking this out. I was a fan of the debut and I think this one is pretty good as well. 'You And I Tonight' is the best of the ballad type songs and the rest of the CD is really good as well. Nothing to skip over. I don't really like the way they did the Cars cover though.

Yeah, 'You and I tonight' is about the biggest ballad of the year. Amazing. Haha... I, as king of cover haters, actually like the cover. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, 'You and I tonight' is about the biggest ballad of the year. Amazing. Haha... I, as king of cover haters, actually like the cover. :lol:

ouch, sorry guys but this just isnt for me at all.........too 'kiddies rock' for my liking. A couple of good tracks. that's all.

I can understand why you like this Geoff as some of hooks are good, but that sound just puts me off.

Sounds like something my 11 yr old nephews should be listening too.

Simple Plan are the best at this sound as they pull it off with some credibility.

ouch, sorry guys but this just isnt for me at all.........too 'kiddies rock' for my liking. A couple of good tracks. that's all.

I can understand why you like this Geoff as some of hooks are good, but that sound just puts me off.

Sounds like something my 11 yr old nephews should be listening too.

Simple Plan are the best at this sound as they pull it off with some credibility.

I spun the last 2 Simple Plan CDs back to back the other day - can't wait for something knew from them. I really love those discs.

• 2 years later...

WOWSER! These guys have a new album, already released - 'Lost In Paradise.'

01. Set It Off

02. Life Is Waiting

03. Candy Store (Feat. Ish)

04. Dead On The Dancefloor (Feat. Proper Villains)

05. Do It In Hollywood

06. Lost In Paradise

07. Too Little Too Late

08. Inside Out

09. Don’t Stop

10. Solitary

faberdrive.jpg

F*cking Canadians. :lol:

No holds barred, f*ck Faber Drive and f*ck this shit they call a new CD. What the f*ck are they honestly thinking? There are deadset, honestly not even guitars on this album. It's not a pop rock CD with a few sneaky modern elements, like the awesome 'Can't keep a secret.' It's a c*nt. Simple as that. It's a full dance/pop CD with no hint of the rock (pop-ish as it was) band that they used to be.

The songwriting is still there, just, on the few times they resort to a ballad. They're pop ballads, but still pretty good I have to say. But nothing makes up for the rest of this shit. They have completely abandoned everything that made them who they were on the first 2 CDs and it's a whole new sound/style. It really makes me sad. These guys should be a blind purchase but I can't see any way that I'll ever buy this CD.

And to my first comment, what is up with great Canadian modern rock bands? A quick summary of some of the best albums in recent history:

Cauterize - pure perfection only to cease as a band and then we never hear from the members again... :(

Hedley - absolutely brilliant debut, great 2nd release and then they come to realise they're a dance/pop band? I liked a few songs from their last CD, but what the f*ck happened to these guys? Why are they not a rock band anymore?

Summerhero - awesome debut... then gone. Not a whisper out of them or the members ever again.

Faber Drive - killer debut, great 2nd disc, though a clear veer away from the sound of their debut. Then by the third CD they're an unrecognisable dance/pop group without a guitairst?

Seriously, f*king Canadians. ;) What is happening to your promising modern rock bands up there? :(

Faber Drive, R.I.P.

F*cking Canadians. :lol:

No holds barred, f*ck Faber Drive and f*ck this shit they call a new CD. What the f*ck are they honestly thinking? There are deadset, honestly not even guitars on this album. It's not a pop rock CD with a few sneaky modern elements, like the awesome 'Can't keep a secret.' It's a c*nt. Simple as that. It's a full dance/pop CD with no hint of the rock (pop-ish as it was) band that they used to be.

The songwriting is still there, just, on the few times they resort to a ballad. They're pop ballads, but still pretty good I have to say. But nothing makes up for the rest of this shit. They have completely abandoned everything that made them who they were on the first 2 CDs and it's a whole new sound/style. It really makes me sad. These guys should be a blind purchase but I can't see any way that I'll ever buy this CD.

And to my first comment, what is up with great Canadian modern rock bands? A quick summary of some of the best albums in recent history:

Cauterize - pure perfection only to cease as a band and then we never hear from the members again... :(

Hedley - absolutely brilliant debut, great 2nd release and then they come to realise they're a dance/pop band? I liked a few songs from their last CD, but what the f*ck happened to these guys? Why are they not a rock band anymore?

Summerhero - awesome debut... then gone. Not a whisper out of them or the members ever again.

Faber Drive - killer debut, great 2nd disc, though a clear veer away from the sound of their debut. Then by the third CD they're an unrecognisable dance/pop group without a guitairst?

Seriously, f*king Canadians. ;) What is happening to your promising modern rock bands up there? :(

Faber Drive, R.I.P.

I didnt want to poop on your party, but I read on Melrock that this was a pile of horse shite

Yeah, sadly any negative word on this album would be a true one. I do confess I like the title track and 'Too Little Too Late' - 2 very nice ballads, and I think there is a guitar in the title track. I think. Actually, maybe even a little in the 2nd verse of 'Too little too late' too? It's a really sad situation when you find yourself listening to a CD for any trace of a guitar.

Okay, so I have to admit I fell asleep at this point last night and didn't hear the rest of this, so just hearing it now. It's not a great song, but there is definitely guitar in 'Inside Out.' Probably the only song on the CD so far where the guitarist was actually required in the studio.

And maybe 'Don't stop' is okay too. Not great and very poppy, but a pretty catchy tune. I dunno, I'll spin it a couple more times, but there may be about 4 keepers on this. Still no excuse for the majority of the thing sucking... but maybe a few moments to hold onto. Actually, this 'Solitary' track sounds pretty decent come chorus time too, with probably the *ahem* "heaviest" guitar work on the album. I wonder if I'm stoned, or if there truly was no guitar at all in the first 5 songs, yet there is on the last 5? I'll review that...