Pics of Sam and Band

80s Metal / Journey Tribute band 'Highwire'. Sam is , of course , top left.... top middle is Steve Plocicca from Apocrypha , bottom right is Michael Christian (formerly with Christian rockers Traxter) and bottom left is JOURNEY GEOFF , the guy that Neal Schon flipped out over when he heard his Perry-like pipes and is still on the cards for the Journey gig. Bottom pic is Sam rocking out.

highwire.jpg

sam.jpg

What do you use as a piano sound for the ballads? I see you've got a Triton LE (not a bad board), but I never thought much of the piano sounds on it. Do you use another board live or just the Korg? I'd be interested in hearing what your stage set up is, from a keyboardist perspective.

Well I have a number of keyboards.

Piano sounds actually come from a Yamaha.

Organ comes from a Roland VK-7 with ProMotion Leslie Simulator.

Most synth sounds come from various other boards. I have 2 Tritons , an old 01w/FD , 2 Alesis boards QS8 and QS6.1 , a Korg X5D (which I don't use much) and a REALLY old Ensoniq ESQ-1 (which hasn't seen daylight since 1992 - lol).

I also like using the Roland AX-1 mobile board for moving around a little.

Of course I don't use ALL these keyboards at one time , I just pick and choose for various gigs.

ROCK ON.

I'd also like to add that you can see footage of me playing live with Carmine Appice , Terry Ilous (XYZ) , Greg Douglass (Steve Miller Band) , Joey Molland (Badfinger) and Mario (of Huey Lewis and the News) right here.....

http://www.internationalrockshow.com/

Cameras mainly focus on the other guys (obviously) but you can see my rig at times.... :banger:

I bet the b-3 simulator would do an excellent job on "Walks Like a Lady", if that song ever found its way onto a Highwire set list. What a fun track to play live that would be. I miss some of those old bluesy Journey moments. Rolie was more inclined that way than Cain. Out of curiosity, between the two keyboardists, which one do you prefer, Sam?

PS, cool rig. I once had an Ensoniq too. They had a pretty good sampler back in the day.

lol - Walks Like a Lady is in the set!!

um , I'd have to say I am a bigger fan of Cain mainly because of his songwriting abilities and choice of sounds but Rolie gets a thumbs up for being a more 'gifted' player technically.

I did just go see Gregg Rolie live and he bored me to tears though. He played 5 Santana songs that lasted an hour and a half and no hint of a Journey tune. Not even his solo stuff!!! Boo!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.