Godsmack - When Legends Rise

tts42572

I know I'm 5 yeas late lol but just wanted to see what people thought about this album as I've been listening to it recently.

First off, I was never into Godsmack.  I mostly thought they were just modern heavy metal and I never paid much attention to anything they did as a result as that' genre just mostly isn't my cup of tea.  However, I heard a couple songs from the When Legends Rise album on a local radio station that I liked (title track and Bulletproof) so thought I'd give the album a listen while I'm waiting for a barrage of new albums to start hitting.

Anyways, I've been digging the album.  The first 5 tunes are some catchy modern hard rock and Under Your Scars is a well done ballad that really surprised me with the orchestration.  The album loses some steam after that but the first half is very good.

In reading some reviews, it seems like this is probably their most "commercial" album and not sure I'll find much more in their catalog that will grab me.  I've tried their newest album and while there's a couple good tunes with Soul on Fire being my favorite, it's not grabbing me nearly as much as When Legends Rise.

I'll probably investigate their catalog a little bit more but not sure I'll find much.  Either way, been digging this album for a change of pace.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

I probably have all their releases and have seen them live 3 times. Sully Erna is a very talented musician.

When Legends Rise is closer to hard rock than their other releases. I think that their top releases are the self titled release9 which is their 1st) , and The Oracle. If you like instrumentals listen to the song The Oracle.

• Like 2

For me, the new one, "Lighting Up the Sky", is the best thing they've done since those first 3 releases, and is an excellent mix of modern metal and a more traditional hard rock sound. "When Legends Rise" was qood, but just didn't grab me the way the new one has.  Solid band, who when I look up and down their discography, I don't really see what I'd call a "bad" release. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, nyoilers said:

I probably have all their releases and have seen them live 3 times. Sully Erna is a very talented musician.

When Legends Rise is closer to hard rock than their other releases. I think that their top releases are the self titled release9 which is their 1st) , and The Oracle. If you like instrumentals listen to the song The Oracle.

I think I'm digging When Legends Rise so much probably because it's more hard rock than some of their other stuff.  Really good melodic hard rock album IMO.

Slowly checking out some of their other stuff and finding some good songs but some of it gets too modern metalish for me.  The newest album isn't too bad but for my tastes the When Legends Rise album seems to be my favorite release of theirs.

Edited by tts42572