High N' Dry - Hands off my toy!

Geoff

I was just listening to this album again today and the thing that strikes me every time I hear it, is what I penned on the main pages of this very site a decade ago:

That rating above is a little harsh. This contains an excellent production job for a 1988 indie (Better than a lot of big name releases at the time) and there is some very strong playing here, just not very great songs. Not bad at all though, and there are worse out there. Solid 80's hard rock. I think this would have a decent fanbase if heard.
All in all, songwise it is not a very memorable CD by any means. But I can never get over the production, considering this was an indie release, back in 1988. If you can show me a more well-produced CD in 1988, I will eat my anus. And who is credited with the production of this CD? Merely the band's guitarist, Deiter Kowaiewski.
It just leads me to ask, does anyone know whatever happened to this guy? It seems a crime that even though his band didn't make a splash in the world, that he didn't go on to be a prolific producer of music.
Also, in looking this up, I saw that he resurrected this band name with a new entourage in 2008. Anyone have it? Only one comment on the main page, but it is positive. I'd be interested to hear how it sounds, considering it is a completely different band line-up to the debut, including a female vocalist. In fact, I can't understand why he used the High N' Dry band name again. But I'd be interested mostly to hear how it sounds, production-wise...

just checked out a couple of songs on youtube and I like what I'm hearing so far. Agreed that the production on this for what it is, is fantastic. Puts some modern albums like Nelson's new one for example to shame, when you consider this is an Indie release

just checked out a couple of songs on youtube and I like what I'm hearing so far. Agreed that the production on this for what it is, is fantastic. Puts some modern albums like Nelson's new one for example to shame, when you consider this is an Indie release

Production-wise, it puts many major label releases from the era to shame, and as you say, even now almost 30 years later it sounds a hell of a lot better than some big name releases within "our genre." The dude should have gone on to be one of the most sought after producers in music, in my honest opinion.

Probably recorded this one in an actual studio using analog tape with all of the members of the band being present rather than the Pro-tools garbage they spew-out now-a-days whereby the lead vocalist is in Kansas City while the guitar player is in Helsinki, Finland with levels boosted to (10) on every single setting in order to please the iPod crowd.

Don't get me started on this subject as I'll rant all day. Modern production techniques absolutely suck most of the time.

Probably recorded this one in an actual studio using analog tape with all of the members of the band being present rather than the Pro-tools garbage they spew-out now-a-days whereby the lead vocalist is in Kansas City while the guitar player is in Helsinki, Finland with levels boosted to (10) on every single setting in order to please the iPod crowd.

Don't get me started on this subject as I'll rant all day. Modern production techniques absolutely suck most of the time.

Absolutely!!!