A Perfect Day - s/t

Stefan

A Perfect Day releases their debut on Frontiers Records Nov 23rd. First single 'Silent Cry' can be heard below.

aprd.jpg

Tracklist:

1 Another Perfect Day
2 Now And Forever
3 Long Road To Ruin
4 Alone And Free (Rockblind)
5 Silent Cry
6 Under The Same Sun
7 Here We Are Again
8 Waiting On The Edge
9 Warm Embrace
10 We Only Say Goodbye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cpo2gnrOnk

apd.jpg

Slow, but kind of okay. So who are these guys and why did Frontiers sign them? Like I said, this sounds okay but if the whole album is this slow I'd be bored shitless after 2 songs. Dokken and T&N have recorded enough plodders in recent years to last a lifetime and we needn't more.

• 1 month later...

This might be another proof that Frontiers need to consider a tighter process of band picking because what I've heard here is mostly a collection of very average hard rock stuffs that probably hundreds of other bands have done better, and even though I can see how the guitarist able to produce several interesting riffs and solos, I think the whole affair just fell apart through (mostly) weaker songs. Not really sure what are they listening, De La Cruz is sure a great pick-up by the label, but why not go after more potential bands like Diamond Lane, Osukaru, Loudguns, or the recently dissolved Shotgun Alley, rather than messing with this not-so-Perfect Day ?

The first song have some nice firey riffs, verse and reff is pretty good, but after that, the band slowly made you suffer, especially with 'Alone and Free' and 'Under The Same Sun'. Most of the songs are in slow and mid-paced tempo, but strangely, the arrangement is very hard rock-ish with modern flavor and even with nu-metal vibe sometimes. The ninth track, 'Warm Embrace' captured my attention, though it's nowhere near great, it's a better ballad than the rest. I can see how the label will shortly sell this cheap through their website coz I hardly believe many will like it.

62%

This might be another proof that Frontiers need to consider a tighter process of band picking because what I've heard here is mostly a collection of very average hard rock stuffs that probably hundreds of other bands have done better, and even though I can see how the guitarist able to produce several interesting riffs and solos, I think the whole affair just fell apart through (mostly) weaker songs. Not really sure what are they listening, De La Cruz is sure a great pick-up by the label, but why not go after more potential bands like Diamond Lane, Osukaru, Loudguns, or the recently dissolved Shotgun Alley, rather than messing with this not-so-Perfect Day ?

That is true. It seems that Frontiers Records is all about quantity rather than quality these days. It would be awesome if Shotgun Alley's latest work could get a physical release on Frontiers or AOR Heaven for example.

On the subject of Loudguns, they're gonna approach at least Frontiers Records and AFM Records as soon as they have a couple of songs to showcase. I've heard demo mixes of new songs like 'Silent Cries', 'We Don't Need A Hero' and 'Line Of Fire'. If they don't land a record deal with the second effort, the world as we know it is officially crazy!

Yeah, it's a good point. I don't hate this CD - actually rated it just about 70% for it's consistently pretty decent songs. But I totally agree that this will crowd bargain bins soon whilst instead they could have pursued a more suitable band for the label - there are plenty of very good bands out there at the moment without a decent label. Like you say, bands that would appeal to fans of this music much more.

And I should note that it's not only applicable to this band. This is by no means the worst band/CD on the Frontiers label.

These three gusy come from Labyrynth the prog power italian metal band.

That's the reason why they easily get signed by Frontiers. I like Labyrynth, Tiranti is an incredible singer, and Andrea is a very cool guy too.

A perfect day is not exactly my cup of tea, but they get my simpathy, 'cause I meet 'em and greet 'em when Labyrynth played

in my town.

• 4 weeks later...