College Football 2011

hsf

Saturday night isn't for fighting.... it (and the rest of Saturday) is for college football!

So, got the first big goose bumps for the season today. Getting pretty excited. Hoping, if nothing else, the Buckeyes can put a hurting on Michigan.

So, anyway, I saw this and, as big an Ohio State fan as I fancy myself, I had to laugh:

210454.jpg

Being a diehard Miami fan since the Testeverde days I still find that funny.

But I am pissed that after the down years with Shannon they seem to make a good move with a new coach and somehow they don't know that some Ponzi Schemer Booster is giving half the team money. WTF?

There is no doubt in mind that all of the things that Miami, USC and Ohio State are in trouble for probably happens at at least 50% of schools they just don't get caught. Then again some of these guys can barely take a shit without breaking some type of obscure NCAA rule.

But I am pissed that after the down years with Shannon they seem to make a good move with a new coach and somehow they don't know that some Ponzi Schemer Booster is giving half the team money. WTF?

There is no doubt in mind that all of the things that Miami, USC and Ohio State are in trouble for probably happens at at least 50% of schools they just don't get caught. Then again some of these guys can barely take a shit without breaking some type of obscure NCAA rule.

I'm an Arizona State Sun Devils fan, and Dennis Erickson (who won a NCAA title at Miami) is our coach. Since he's been here he's run a really clean program...and we've either stunk or been mediocre. That should tell you everything you need to know. You don't get to be an "elite" program by being a totally clean program.

Even with all the crap going on I'm still looking forward to the season. I'm interested to see how things with the new Pac-12 conference will turn out.

Np - Art In America - s/t (LP!)

www.wishingwellonline.com

I'm an Arizona State Sun Devils fan, and Dennis Erickson (who won a NCAA title at Miami) is our coach. Since he's been here he's run a really clean program...and we've either stunk or been mediocre. That should tell you everything you need to know. You don't get to be an "elite" program by being a totally clean program.

That's a great observation and probably not to far off.

Dennis was a great coach at the U and his son Craig was a heck of a QB and is pretty overlooked in Miami history since Kosar, Kelly and Testeverde and even Toretta since he won the heisman get remembered well, but Erickson, Steve Walsh and Ken Dorsey were great QB's as well.

• 1 month later...

Boy, it's a good thing nothing interesting has gone on in college football in the 5+ weeks since the last post in this thread. :whistle:

I remember when one could come to HH for some scintillating sports discussion. Anywho, go college fantasy football. That and watching good games in which I don't have a vested interest are about all I have going for me. (That said, next Saturday night, it'll be praying for some miracle for the Buckeyes and drinking some good beer and eating some good food. Ohio State may not be the same, but thank God for college football Saturdays!)

Boy, it's a good thing nothing interesting has gone on in college football in the 5+ weeks since the last post in this thread. :whistle:

I remember when one could come to HH for some scintillating sports discussion. Anywho, go college fantasy football. That and watching good games in which I don't have a vested interest are about all I have going for me. (That said, next Saturday night, it'll be praying for some miracle for the Buckeyes and drinking some good beer and eating some good food. Ohio State may not be the same, but thank God for college football Saturdays!)

I agree not much conversation going on lately as we had the last five or six years. I've had a hard time keeping up and seem to be busier than normal and missing many games. I will say that Wisconsin looks really good with not only their normal great running game but now that have a great QB in Wilson so they could have a chance to run the table. The winner of Bama and LSU will most likely play in the Championship. Boise State will probably run the table as well so should be there at the end too. One thing I hate is the movement from conference to conference especially the new Big East teams jumping to the ACC. I hate that you're gonna blow up a great basketball conference for football and money especially when teams like Syracuse are never that great in football. Very sad to see long time rivalries going away. I'm wondering after yesterdays ass whooping if Nebraska is missing the Big 12 North. :lol:

I agree. This realignment stuff is nuts. I can see why the Big Ten would grab one more team and the Pac-10 would grab 2 more teams, but why does the SEC need to rip apart other leagues further. (Or the Pac-10 need to grow.) I know, money, but what we grew up loving is going by the way side.

Maybe, just like with the rest of the world, it's just a sign of the apocalypse.

(I agree Wes, Nebraska has to miss that home cookin'!)

LSU looks TOUGH this year. That game with Bama is looking incredible! (And I'm guessing the SEC Championship will be as well.)

At this point, my season not being a waste (and a reason to consume even more beer than normal) rests on beating Michigan at season's end, although as of now, I'm thinking not getting embarrassed badly will be a more realistic goal. Hope something changes between now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

Phew! Nebraska must have just needed a bit to get going in the Big Ten because BOY, did they make the greatest comeback in the history of comebacks last week.

I wish there was a sports network that just did play-by-play and didn't feel the need to spoil the game by inserting a foot in to their gaping maws. All many ("all" lately?) talking heads (yes Mark May, that was directed right at your nerdy, narrow-minded, lucky-to-still-be-employed ass) are able to do is slam Ohio State and how horrible they've been this year (or they have even slammed them when they were on top) and took such satisfaction at their mediocrity. Yet, when the Buckeyes were routing Nebraska 27-6, there was no talk of these "World Beaters".

However, one bad play (at minimum stopping a clock-chewing drive, at max a 14-pt swing) and a bad plant by Miller and Nebraska had momentum. But for fuck's sake, they came back against the worst quarterback in NCAA history, Joe Bauserman. When Nebraska completed the comeback and the game was over, it's like Nebraska had defeated last year's Buckeyes or the nationally ranked Buckeyes of the past decade(s).

Am I denying that the Miller strip, and it's subsequent point swing, and Miller going out of the game were big turning points? No. Am I not giving Nebraska credit for the actual comeback they staged? No way. To be down 3 touchdowns with a quarter and a half to go and have sustained no offensive momentum as of yet in the game and to jump to 4 TDs in 22 minutes is an impressive feat. But to do it against a team with an electronic football game quarterback as your field general (who throws a ball that not only goes out of bounds, but sails over the fucking benches at the back of the sideline), is not quite the stuff of legend that folks want to make it out to be.

I fucking hate sports announcers. 11-1.gif

• 3 months later...

It's not really about college football, at least the 2011 season per se, but I just thought I'd check in to see what, if anything, was said/thought about Joe Paterno's passing.

I'm not quite sure how to rationalize 45+ years of good memories/strong leadership/"right thing" espousal versus knowing young boys were being sexually abused and not either kicking someone's ass or ratting them out to everyone that you could that wouldn't get you in trouble legally (which would include telling the cops). While I feel for his family, I feel for them more knowing that this great man tarnished a incredible legacy he built and they'll have to live with the fact that, if nothing else, he hung himself out to dry/enabled Sandusky to get away with something more/be free a bit longer.

Paterno touched many lives in an extremely positive way... it's too bad he couldn't count a few young boys in there as well because they weren't abused since he helped get Sandusky caught by telling the cops.

(Not that it has any bearing on today's subject matter, but I don't know how that fuck McQueary doesn't get the shit kicked out of him by the court of public opinion. He's the major douchebag in all of this, right behind Sandusky.)