Siam - Prayer

T-BONE

A friend gave me a copy of a cd the other day of a band I had never heard before... he said just listen to the first few tracks and say the first band that comes to mind. It took me all of the first verse to think of Geoff Tate. After a few tracks he informed me that the band was called Siam. I had to go look them up only to find that the singer was Tony Mills. While I have never been impressed with much of his catalog, especially the newer stuff, I. Must say that this cd is pretty damn good. Some nice axework, thoughtful lyrics and smooth production. They are very similar to Queensryche although different enough to stand on their own. They are also a little heavier in my opinion.

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=1065&CDName=Prayer

An amazing band and a hell of a singer.

They also have "The Language Of Menace" from 1994 (the japanese press has no bonus) & the cool 2-CD compilation under the same name which contains unreleased stuff & video clips. They also did an extremely limited homemade dvd-r in 25 hand numbered copies called "LIVE FROM "THE WOUGHTON CENTRE", MILTON KEYNES 1994" the period between the 2 albums. Obey!!

My photo's link is still active. Here's the dvd cover :

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6913/cover2ds0.jpg

Tracklist :

Playlist :

1.Insanity

2.Soundcheck

3.The Search

4.The Language Of Menace

5.Interaction

6.Signals Of Intuition

7.New Age Warning

8.The Queen Of Swords

9.It' Ain't Easy

10.Christian

11.After Gig

To be totally honest, I thought both Siam CDs were half decent (not great, imo) but it was the total wrong choice for a vocalist,imo.

Yeah, Mills' name alone probably sold them all the albums they did actually sell, but I personally thought he was a terrible fit for the band.

A friend gave me a copy of a cd the other day of a band I had never heard before... he said just listen to the first few tracks and say the first band that comes to mind. It took me all of the first verse to think of Geoff Tate. After a few tracks he informed me that the band was called Siam. I had to go look them up only to find that the singer was Tony Mills. While I have never been impressed with much of his catalog, especially the newer stuff, I. Must say that this cd is pretty damn good. Some nice axework, thoughtful lyrics and smooth production. They are very similar to Queensryche although different enough to stand on their own. They are also a little heavier in my opinion.

are you saying you haven't got into STATE OF ROCK - POINT OF DESTINY?????

Tony Mill's stuff with SHY are fab imho :)

To be totally honest, I thought both Siam CDs were half decent (not great, imo) but it was the total wrong choice for a vocalist,imo.

Yeah, Mills' name alone probably sold them all the albums they did actually sell, but I personally thought he was a terrible fit for the band.

You have buried the 90% of HH's releases. That doesn't make sense.

:unsure: If Tony Mills was not THE MAN for that band who is suitable? Chris Boltendahl? :hammer:

are you saying you haven't got into STATE OF ROCK - POINT OF DESTINY?????

Tony Mill's stuff with SHY are fab imho :)

I didn't like his voice on that release... Too worbely. Like he was trying too hard to stay in key or something. Musically, the cd was great because it's basically Frontline

:unsure: If Tony Mills was not THE MAN for that band who is suitable? Chris Boltendahl? :hammer:

Not sure what you mean by that, but I think anyone with a more aggressive voice would have been better. No idea who Chris Boltendahl is, but if he sings with some balls, sure, give him a go. As I said, I have no one specific in mind, but someone with a Sebastian Bach kind of style probably would have suited this well. I just personally think Mills has a very weak voice. He sounds at home in Shy because he is a distinct part of what Shy is and always will be. But outside of Shy I am not a fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what you mean by that, but I think anyone with a more aggressive voice would have been better. No idea who Chris Boltendahl is, but if he sings with some balls, sure, give him a go. As I said, I have no one specific in mind, but someone with a Sebastian Bach kind of style probably would have suited this well. I just personally think Mills has a very weak voice. He sounds at home in Shy because he is a distinct part of what Shy is and always will be. But outside of Shy I am not a fan.

Oops I just saw that. Chris Boltendahl is the Grave Digger's vocalist a German guy with harsh vocals & some success in the middle 90's.

When you hear Queensryche clone bands (in a good way imho) like Majesty (NY-Pomona), New Religion (NY), En Force (MD), Siam (UK), Talamasca (WI) & tons of more you do expect a guy who is close to Tate's voice you don't expect aggressive (?!) vocals. Of course if you don't like Mills for various reasons it's a different discussion & it has nothing to do if his voice is good for similar 'ryche bands... If he'll try to sing in My Dying Bride we will laugh like Russians rustics...