"Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated"

Fat Freddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re_rUF5i_jI

I'm sure that most of us grew up on one of Scooby-Doo's seemingly endless seriesof cartoon shows. My kids have become big Scooby fans thanks to the re-runs that run on Cartoon Network's "Boomerang" channel about 17 hours a day. They seem to get a special kick out of the old "Scooby Doo Movies" from the '70s where the Mystery Machine gang would hang out and solve a mystery with the help of a celebrity guest in each episode. I do find it somewhat odd that they like these particular shows so much, cuz 9 times out of 10 they have no idea who the "guest stars" are and I end up having to explain it to them. ("Daddy, who's Mama Cass Elliot? Daddy, what's a Harlem Globetrotter? Daddy, who's Don Knotts? Who's Dick Van Dyke?" :rofl2:)

Anyway, the young'uns recently became aware of the newest "Scooby" series (the 12th, for those of you who are keeping score), "Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated," a "reboot" of the series which started airing on Cartoon Network about a month ago. I have to admit, it's pretty damn good. The animation's way nicer than any of the 70s versions, and the humor isn't just for kids either - every one I've seen so far has made a couple of self-aware jokes picking on the cliches' of the old series (i.e. the bad guy is always a guy in a costume, the "I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids" line, etc.), obviously aimed at the folks who grew up with the show and are now watching it with their kids. I especially laughed my ass off at a few scenes in one episode that were obvious nods to scenes from famous horror movies, like "Night of the Living Dead," the original "Halloween," and even "Quarantine." I'm like "Damn, the guys who make this show are hip!"

In this version, the Mystery Machine gang have some issues to work out aside from solving mysteries. Daphne now has a long standing (but unrequited) crush on the clueless Fred, whilst Velma has a thing for Shaggy (though it doesn't always appear to be mutual).

Trivia note, Matthew Lillard, who played Shaggy in the two "Scooby" live action movies, also does Shag's voice in this version. Velma is voiced by Mindy Cohn (aka "Natalie," the fat chick from "The Facts of Life") who's apparently been portraying her in the various direct-to-DVD Scooby 'toons for some time now. The mysterious "Mister E" (get it?), an as-yet-unseen character who sends the gang cryptic notes and clues to send them off on investigations, is voiced by comedian Lewis Black of "Daily Show" fame.

Funny stuff all around... and thankfully, there has been no sign of Scrappy-Doo in any of the shows I've seen thus far.

Worth a look for 'toon fans young and old, I'd say.

Yeah, it isn't too bad. I kind of like it. have you seen the cameo's yet? Don Knots was in the first episode and you see an teenage Bam-Bam and Peables in the ManCrab episode.

Nah, I've only seen two shows thus far, haven't seen Knotts or Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm yet. There are about a half dozen of 'em available on Cartoon Network on Demand (for free) though so I told the kids I'd record 'em all onto a DVD for 'em, so I'm sure I'll see them eventually.

I also hear that Cartoon Network is planning a crossover between the new "Scooby" show and their Batman "Brave & The Bold" cartoon, a la the old "Scooby Doo Movies" episode where the Mystery Machine gang helped Batman and Robin on a case. :lol:

I've seen most of the new Scooby Doo I really like it.

So Bob, which one would you rather... Daphne or Velma? :lol: I'm Team Daphne.