One Baby Girl = Two Beers

LV KIX

THIS IS A TRUE STORY

It may just be the craziest thing I have ever heard:

(May 18) -- Police in Chicopee, Mass., have charged a 24-year-old man with reckless endangerment of a child after he allegedly offered to swap his 3-month-old baby girl for two 40-ounce bottles of beer.

"For two 40s, you can have her," Matthew Brace, the infant's father, told an employee at a Pride gas station and convenience store, Police Chief John Ferrao Jr. said.

According to police, Brace and his girlfriend entered the gas station Monday afternoon. When an employee asked the couple how old their child was, Brace made his offer, then placed his child and her stroller in the employee's truck, police said.

The employee then called police, a Chicopee police spokesman told AOL News. When officers arrived, Brace was discovered with his daughter behind the gas station near a trash bin. His girlfriend, who has not been charged, was inside the store buying cigarettes.

The Republican newspaper of Springfield, Mass., reports that the couple live at the Econo Lodge that abuts the gas station. Brace, his girlfriend and the baby were placed at the hotel by the state as part of a program to house the indigent.

After his arrest, Brace was sent to Baystate Medical Center for an evaluation, The Republican reported.

At a news conference, Ferraro said Brace's offer to trade his baby for beer was no laughing matter. "It's not a joke; this is very serious," he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two 40's...? ... I wonder what kind of beer he was asking for..?

Not sure why this article left out such important information.

I personally would've held out for three 40s, but that's just me.

Haha, I wasn't sure what the term "40's" meant, never heard it here in Australia. So I did some research. This comes from the Urban Dictionary:

"A bottle containing 40 fluid ounces of malt liquor beer. The beer is of low quality and fairly cheap to buy. A bottle can run you usually between 2 and three dollars depending on brand. 40's are popular in a variety of areas and are drunken by many types of people. Gangstas will drink 40's and will sometimes pour out a little of the beer onto the ground for their dead homies. Teenagers also like to drink 40's because it is a fast way to get drunk and all the beer is in one bottle opposed to drinking several smaller 12 ounce bottles and/or cans. Some brands of beer produced in the 40 ounce variety are Clot 45, Olde English, Mickey's, and King Cobra."

Some quality quotes from the Urban Dictionary:

"Pass me that 40 motherfucka!"

"I'm gonna pick up some 40's for tonight."

"Judy, get me a 40 bitch."

"Yo i got a set of forty in my trunk lets screw theys ho's and get drunk."

"Hey my man go to the liquor n grab some 40z. I wana get shitfaced."

"Shut up and give me a 40, dumbass."

Out of interest, the largest beer you can routinely buy here in Australia (that I know of) are called "Tallie's" which is a 24oz/750mL bottle compared with a 40 which I now know is American vernacular for a 40oz/1.18L. Americans always have to show us up! What about the English and Irish, what's their biggest beer?