Friday Night Lights

66 mustang

first let me say that I am shocked I've not started a thread for this show. now has anyone been watchiing this show besides me??? I know I a few years late in starting a thread but I've watched it from season 1 and season 4 just started on NBC a couple weeks ago.

much better than the movie IMO

Really? I enjoyed the movie but I had never read the book.

of course the book is so much better than the movie.

my problem with the movie is that they had so much material to cover they just focused on Football. now mind you, I LOVE football (yes, for everyone else, American football) but the movie didn't do anything to make me care about any of the characters. remember in the moive when Boobie got his knee taken out at the end of a game in a blowout? well that didn't happen that way. what really happened was he blew his knee out in a scrimage before the season. It was a great football movie but Remember The Titans was a better movie. RTT made me care about the characters and still had plenty of football action. FNL was football with no character development. the book really fleshed out the characters and makes me think "what could have been".

anyway, the tv show was born out of all the stuff left out of the book and movie. In the special features of season 1 they are talking to the guys who did the movie and talking about all the material they had left and how it went into season 1 of the tv show. they had to change the name of the town and the team from Odessa Tx and the Permain Panthers with their black and white uniforms to Dillon Tx and the Dillon Panthers with Blue and White colors for some reason, can't remember why. different characters but you know after reading the book which characters they are based on or a combination of characters a certain person is based on. of course they add their own story's or take stories from different times and add to todays team. even had 2 actors from the Movie in the tv series.

check it out, I think you might like it.

Once filming on the movie was completed, Berg turned his attention to adapting the story for television. Berg expressed in various interviews following the film how he regretted having to jettison many of the interpersonal topics covered in the book because of the time constraints of a feature film. Creating a TV series, particularly one based on fictional characters, allowed many of those elements to be brought back and addressed in-depth.[10]

The show chose not to use Odessa as the setting and instead used it as inspiration for the fictionalized town of Dillon, Texas. The football team did, however, retain the Panthers name. Berg made a number of conscious choices in carrying elements from the film to the series and as such, much of the work that went into the creation of the pilot was duplication of the work that was done on the movie.[11] Another of these choices included casting Connie Britton to play Head Coach Eric Taylor's wife and Brad Leland to play football booster Buddy Garrity, in similar roles to the ones they played in the movie.[12][13] Furthermore, Berg used Explosions in the Sky, a band that wrote most of the film's soundtrack,[14] for some situational music. Though many people have assumed that the show's theme song is also by Explosions in the Sky, it is actually the work of noted TV music composer W.G. Snuffy Walden and Bennett Salvay.

With this conception in hand, filming for the show's Austin, Texas-based pilot began in February 2006. Berg described filming the pilot and eventually the show in Texas as "a deal breaker" for his weekly participation in the project. Even so, the show features a number of homages to its Texas heritage. In filming the pilot, Berg ensured this homage by featuring Texas Longhorn coach Mack Brown as a Dillon booster and having a caller to the fictional “Panther Radio” compare Panthers' coach Eric Taylor to Brown.[15] The pilot also incorporated much of the surrounding area. Football scenes for the pilot were filmed at Pflugerville High School's Kuempel Stadium and at the RRISD Complex. The Dillon Panther football and coaches' uniforms were based heavily on the uniforms of the real life Pflugerville Panthers.[16]

• 11 months later...