Carousel

JC_AOR

CAROUSEL_band.jpg

I came across a CD of demos from this early 90's Melodic Hard Rock band, Carousel. I know very little about them except that they released two demo cassettes in 1992 and 1993.

In 2003, both of these demo cassettes were combined onto a CD as a bootleg by Time Warp Records. It's unfortunate that these songs are only available in demo quality (and on Time Warp) as they are truly awesome songs and easily comparible to some of that unreleased stuff by Garrison. The last four tracks 'Tell Me Why', 'Heaven Was Calling', 'Time Stops' and especially 'Hold Back' are absolutely essential listening if you like Garrison, early Harem Scarem ballads etc. The other songs are really good as well.

Anyone else heard these songs/know anything more about the band?

Carousel---Carousel.jpg

1. The Feeling Is Right

2. Kickin And Screamin

3. 19 And Nervous

4. Tell Me Why

5. Heaven Was Calling

6. Time Stops

7. Hold Back

Don Howell - Lead vocals

Rob Ferebee - Lead vocals, bass

Steve Miller - Drums, vocals

Louie Beltran - Guitar, vocals

Matt Clark - Guitar, vocals

Jay Haygood - Guitar, vocals

More stuff about Carousel I found on the net.

- The band is from Austin, Texas

- Don Howell was the original lead singer and was later replaced by bassist Rob Ferebee. I'm not sure which songs each of them sings but I believe that some of the above demos are sung by Howell and the rest by Ferebee.

- They were featured on the soundtrack for 80's movie Beach Balls.

Yep, our very own HH member Clutch hooked me up with these tunes around the time I first heard Garrison - excellent stuff, truly. Another band I would dearly, dearly love to see get a legit release. A whole bunch of these songs ended up on my Ipod. Luckily sound quality is a little better than the Garrison stuff too.

Yes. It is a shame that they got and are still being screwed by that rubbish Time Warp Records to this day from what is seen on eBay and Gemm.

As for the band, Not sure how many are aware of this, but Rob and Matt went on to form FREAK HOUSE which released a CD titled 'Addicted To The Numb'. This CD was more harder edge sounding as Rob had a harsher voice. They also released a CD titled 'Beautiful Misery' under the same name but spelled FREAKHOUSE. Rob used the last name of 'Escher' I believe but it was still Rob and Matt. That was even a harder progression on that CD.

Yes. It is a shame that they got and are still being screwed by that rubbish Time Warp Records to this day from what is seen on eBay and Gemm.

As for the band, Not sure how many are aware of this, but Rob and Matt went on to form FREAK HOUSE which released a CD titled 'Addicted To The Numb'. This CD was more harder edge sounding as Rob had a harsher voice. They also released a CD titled 'Beautiful Misery' under the same name but spelled FREAKHOUSE. Rob used the last name of 'Escher' I believe but it was still Rob and Matt. That was even a harder progression on that CD.

TI thought that freakhouse cd is quite cool but not as good as Carousel :)

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...