FAITH OR FEAR BASSIST DIES ON STAGE (RIP)

zrock63

FAITH OR FEAR Bassist Dies After Suffering Apparent Heart Attack On Stage - Sep. 14, 2009

Clarence "C.J." Jenkins, bassist for the popular Philadelphia-based thrash-metal band FAITH OR FEAR, died Sunday (September 13) after suffering an apparent heart attack during the group's performance at the city's Arts, Music and Antiques Festival.

Jenkins, 50, collapsed around 2:45 p.m. as the band performed under a tent on High Street, said FAITH OR FEAR guitarist Chris Bombeke.

FAITH OR FEAR Bassist Dies After Suffering Apparent Heart Attack On Stage - Sep. 14, 2009

Clarence "C.J." Jenkins, bassist for the popular Philadelphia-based thrash-metal band FAITH OR FEAR, died Sunday (September 13) after suffering an apparent heart attack during the group's performance at the city's Arts, Music and Antiques Festival.

Jenkins, 50, collapsed around 2:45 p.m. as the band performed under a tent on High Street, said FAITH OR FEAR guitarist Chris Bombeke.

Jenkins, of Newport, was rushed to South Jersey Healthcare Regional Medical Center in Vineland, where he was later pronounced dead, said his sister, Karen Connors.

FAITH OR FEAR was in the midst of a comeback after reuniting last year.

The band released the CD "Instruments of Death" in June.

Sunday's performance was FAITH OR FEAR's first in its hometown of Millville in about 20 years, Bombeke said.

The band was nearly finished with its 30-minute set when Jenkins collapsed, according to Bombeke, who added that he and other bystanders performed CPR on the bassist until rescuers arrived.

"I don't think FAITH OR FEAR would have even been a name to talk about without C.J.," Bombeke said. "We never had another bass player."

Jenkins worked at Musikraft LLC, a Landisville-based company that makes necks and bodies for guitars and basses.

FAITH OR FEAR rose to prominence in the late 1980s after releasing the album "Punishment Area".

The band, which had started out rehearsing in a chicken coop, went on a national tour, but split up in 1991 without releasing another record.

FAITH OR FEAR's original lineup — minus guitarist Merritt Gant — reunited last year, playing shows in the Philadelphia area.

The band was considering a tour of Germany, Japan and South America — countries where there's been a thrash-metal revival — in 2010, Bombeke said, adding that he hasn't decided if he'll continue with FAITH OR FEAR.

Sad news...but at least he died doing something he loved. :beerbang:

Wow that is sad news indeed.. I always did like Faith or Fear.. I Shall crank their debut album in His honor!! :headbanger:

Dark Star doubtlessly remembers when we saw F-O-F open for Sepultura waaaaaay back in the day at L'amour in Brooklyn. He was more impressed with'em than I was. :lol: I remember watching their first few songs and then going to the bar for a couple of beers with my brother, after which we always referred to them as "Faith or Beer." :rofl:

Wow that is sad news indeed.. I always did like Faith or Fear.. I Shall crank their debut album in His honor!! :headbanger:

Dark Star doubtlessly remembers when we saw F-O-F open for Sepultura waaaaaay back in the day at L'amour in Brooklyn. He was more impressed with'em than I was. :lol: I remember watching their first few songs and then going to the bar for a couple of beers with my brother, after which we always referred to them as "Faith or Beer." :rofl:

Actually, didn't they play the Listening party for Overkill's "Years of Decay" Album?? that We got into for free??? If memory serves, at the Sepultura show were bands called Silo and Metal Storm?? though I COULD be wrong..... Although that DOES sound like You and Yer Brother, heading for the bar after a few tunes..... :rofl2:

Actually, didn't they play the Listening party for Overkill's "Years of Decay" Album?? that We got into for free??? If memory serves, at the Sepultura show were bands called Silo and Metal Storm?? though I COULD be wrong..... Although that DOES sound like You and Yer Brother, heading for the bar after a few tunes..... :rofl2:

Nah, I think that was Whiplash, not F-O-F. Although for all I know F-O-F could've been on the bill that night as well, we didn't stay for the whole thing as I recall...

But they were definitely on that Sepultura bill... Igor C. used Faith Or Fear's drum set cuz they hadn't brought all their gear over from Brazil yet...

Nah, I think that was Whiplash, not F-O-F. Although for all I know F-O-F could've been on the bill that night as well, we didn't stay for the whole thing as I recall...

But they were definitely on that Sepultura bill... Igor C. used Faith Or Fear's drum set cuz they hadn't brought all their gear over from Brazil yet...

I believe You would be correct sir.. Far be it for Me to argue with the Godly Lord Roadkill...... :bowdown:

And We didn't stay for the whole listening party cause L'amour was PACKED!!! But I DO remember Overkill DID play a few tunes..... :headbanger:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...