Carmen Suite - The Gift

JC_AOR

I recently purchased Carmen Suite - The Gift LP. It's a 6 track LP which was released in 1987 on Reflex Records in very limited numbers and has never been released on CD. I can't seem to find info on this band anywhere. Does anyone know about them?

They are an Aussie band, presumably from Melbourne and as far as style goes, the seller I purchased from made comparisons to Safire, DeMont, Avalon, Zambelis and Roxus; though I haven't unpacked my record player after a recent move so can't comment on the style myself.

54342e8f75.jpg

Track Listing:

Side 1:

Sail Away

Stop It

So Alone

Side 2:

Call Me

Watch Your Step

Who Knows What

Band Members:

19ffb34932.jpg

Bob Topping - Lead Vocals

Paul Loannidis - Bass, Vocals

Vic De Marco - Electric & Acoustic Guitars, Vocals

Jimmy Stoitis - Guitar, Vocals

Tony Pinuto - Drums

Recorded at:

Silkwood Sound Studios, Melbourne, 1987

I've never seen this one for sale before, got mine for AU$60 including postage

Bobby was in band called Fair Warning before Carmen Suite, and release 1 ep. Then he was in a Ac/Dc tribute band "Back In Black", now happy retired from music.

But $ 60 for that ep is bit steep, I remember get my for $15 on day of released at their gig at Bell St Rock in Preston.

Bobby was in band called Fair Warning before Carmen Suite, and release 1 ep. Then he was in a Ac/Dc tribute band "Back In Black", now happy retired from music.

But $ 60 for that ep is bit steep, I remember get my for $15 on day of released at their gig at Bell St Rock in Preston.

Thanks for the info...now I'm keen to hear that Fair Warning EP. As for paying $60 for the album, yeah I was a bit hesitant but figured it was quite rare and I have to say I was really very interested in the music. BUT...after some extensive searching today I found 2 more copies, one for $10 and another for $20...why does that always happen to me? So I should have a spare copy or two soon if anyone is interested.

how much crap has been compared to "Safire, DeMont, Avalon, Zambelis and Roxus" over the years on ebay though?! i just ignore those comparisons..

Yeah your right...it seems every Melodic Rock/AOR band from Australia gets compared to those bands on the basis of where they come from, not on the basis of music style. We may as well compare them all to Wildland as well.

• 7 years later...

I hope you picked up the Fair Warning ep, it is on the Cleopatra label (Australia label) not WEA cause that the German band.

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, Craig Manger said:

Can anybody tell me where I can purchase the album. I used to see them at Bell Street Rock every time they played there.

If you in Melbourne area,, there a store called Radical Records in Dandenong. They got a copy for $50.

• 3 years later...

I worked with Carmen Suite in the late 80's, ending up as their lighting guy.
The played a LOT in Melbourne pubs, and supported a few notable bands ( Boom Crash OpPera, Noise Works) when they did the pubs. They were a regular at Bell Street Rock.
Most notable music comparisons were to AC/DC, and Bobby Topping ( vocalist) ended up playing in an AC/DC cover Band.
I Video recorded quite a few of their shows, and will have to get them transferred so that others can see this awesome band!

Ric

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ric said:

I worked with Carmen Suite in the late 80's, ending up as their lighting guy.
The played a LOT in Melbourne pubs, and supported a few notable bands ( Boom Crash OpPera, Noise Works) when they did the pubs. They were a regular at Bell Street Rock.
Most notable music comparisons were to AC/DC, and Bobby Topping ( vocalist) ended up playing in an AC/DC cover Band.
I Video recorded quite a few of their shows, and will have to get them transferred so that others can see this awesome band!

Ric

We had great bands around that time , S.A.S. , De Arrow, New Holland and Knight.

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2009 at 10:25 PM, JC_AOR said:

I recently purchased Carmen Suite - The Gift LP. It's a 6 track LP which was released in 1987 on Reflex Records in very limited numbers and has never been released on CD. I can't seem to find info on this band anywhere. Does anyone know about them?

They are an Aussie band, presumably from Melbourne and as far as style goes, the seller I purchased from made comparisons to Safire, DeMont, Avalon, Zambelis and Roxus; though I haven't unpacked my record player after a recent move so can't comment on the style myself.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/54342e8f75.jpg

Track Listing:

Side 1:

Sail Away

Stop It

So Alone

Side 2:

Call Me

Watch Your Step

Who Knows What

Band Members:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/19ffb34932.jpg

Bob Topping - Lead Vocals

Paul Loannidis - Bass, Vocals

Vic De Marco - Electric & Acoustic Guitars, Vocals

Jimmy Stoitis - Guitar, Vocals

Tony Pinuto - Drums

Recorded at:

Silkwood Sound Studios, Melbourne, 1987

I've never seen this one for sale before, got mine for AU$60 including postage

Vic  is currently playing in a covers band called Einsteins Toyboys. They mainly cover the 60's70'sand a few 80's songs from the top 40 but occasionally pull out a surprise or 2.