Edwards out in KC; Shanahan in?

whiplash1972

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was fired Friday. And former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan may be in line to replace him.

Edwards was 15-34 in three seasons with the Chiefs, including 2-14 this season. He had one year remaining on his original four-year, $12 million contract.

"On behalf of my family, I want to thank Herm for his service to the Chiefs," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a team statement. "After careful deliberation over the last week, Scott and I decided that it was in the best interests of the Chiefs to move forward in a different direction.

"This was not an easy decision. Herm is an outstanding football coach and a man of integrity. We appreciate his leadership over the past three seasons, and we wish him all the best in the future."

The Chiefs have been in negotiations to land Shanahan as their next coach and a deal is near, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Edwards' status has been in doubt since the Chiefs hired Scott Pioli as their general manager on Jan. 13. Asked at his introductory news conference about Edwards' status, Pioli declined to say.

"Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation," Pioli said in a statement. "After careful consideration, Clark and I felt that it was best to make a change. What I conveyed last week in the press conference I still believe to be true -- Herm is a great man and a tremendous football coach. He respects the game and the league, and he is passionate about his players and his craft.

Chiefs season wrap-up

"Over the course of this last week, I have also spent time meeting and visiting with most of the assistant coaches, and I will continue to do so over the next several days. All of the coaches from last year's staff, with the exception of one, are under contract through the 2009 season."

Edwards was 41-44 in five seasons as head coach of the New York Jets, including three trips to the playoffs.

Edwards came to Kansas City from the Jets and made the playoffs in his first season, when the team was 9-7. But he was under fire after the team finished 4-12 in 2007. Team management gave him its support, but expected a run at the playoffs. Instead, the team went 2-14.

In Edwards' three seasons in Kansas City, only three teams had worse records: Detroit, Oakland and St. Louis.

Prior to joining the Jets, Edwards spent five seasons serving as assistant head coach/defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, working under head coach Tony Dungy. Edwards served as a scout for Kansas City from '90-91 before joining Marty Schottenheimer's staff as defensive backs coach ('92-94).

How long does Shanahan coach the Chiefs before he moves on to the Chargers to complete the cycle? :popcorn:

Being a life long Bronco fan I hope and pray that Mike don't take this job.

I'd rather him wait and jump to an NFC team or at least a team in a different division.

What's your feeling on Shanahan being fired in the 1st place? Fair play or raw deal? Dig the Riot logos. Great band. :banger:

Herm...nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey...goodbye :)

My take is that they just need to get someone in that can coach all those young players. Herm was too much like Vermeil imo....

As for Shannahan...it's a rumor or it's not...who knows. I have hated the man for years but he would be better than Herm. Plus he'd love to stick it to the donks & faiders twice a year. I am of the opinion though that we are still going to try & lure Cowher out of broadcasting or possibly go after the Cardinals OC, who I really like. Time will tell...

Herm...nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey...goodbye :)

Plus he'd love to stick it to the donks & faiders twice a year.

That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard this. I still don't understand how a coach that has won 2 championships is out and a coach like Marvin Lewis, who has tanked with all that talent in Cincy, is still employed. Maybe he has blackmail material on the owner.

Being a life long Bronco fan I hope and pray that Mike don't take this job.

I'd rather him wait and jump to an NFC team or at least a team in a different division.

What's your feeling on Shanahan being fired in the 1st place? Fair play or raw deal? Dig the Riot logos. Great band. :banger:

I thought it was Bullshit but it wasn't his coaching that got him fired it was his personel decisons.

It's to bad he couldn't of stepped down from that position and just coached but I'm sure he wouldn't of done that. I think he's worked so long to get that power he wouldn't of wanted to let it go. I'm sure the new guy will be fine but it's not the offense that's the problem it's the D and that's why I was expecting them to go after the Giants D Coordinator.

As for Riot, yes great band and one of my favs and that goes for all eras of the group. :banger:

heaven&hell hit it right on the head. Shanahan's problem was never coaching, it was his personnel decisions. It will be interesting to see if some NFL owner will give him all that power again or if he will take a "coach only" position.

heaven&hell hit it right on the head. Shanahan's problem was never coaching, it was his personnel decisions. It will be interesting to see if some NFL owner will give him all that power again or if he will take a "coach only" position.

I think the days of giving coaches "the final say" are all but gone. Very rare nowadays. That said, you need a coach and GM that see eye to eye. Look at the Chargers. 14-2 and they fire Marty for Turner. Still waiting on that super bowl.

I think the days of giving coaches "the final say" are all but gone. Very rare nowadays. That said, you need a coach and GM that see eye to eye. Look at the Chargers. 14-2 and they fire Marty for Turner. Still waiting on that super bowl.

There was just a great story on Yahoo sports yesterday talking about the Chargers GM Smith and how stupid he is. They should of kept Marty and fired him instead. Norv Turner is a good play caller but a head coach not so much. And yes the days of the head coach having all of the power are gone, or at least they should be.