ELLIOT MINOR

TIM (2)

http://www.myspace.com/elliotminor

This one's a bit of a long-shot, but fans of Modern Pop/Rock ought to dig this. They're classically-trained kids playing catchy Modern Pomp/Pop-Rock with keys. They've made the UK Album Charts & I really like the album (it's all a bit more interesting than the singles "Parallel Worlds" & "Jessica" would suggest)....

I've never heard of them before now, but you've got me interested. They're fairly fast paced pop/rock songs (not a bad thing) but it's those high pitched keys that really make it stand out for me. I'll add this to the want list. Thanks.

I've never heard of them before now, but you've got me interested. They're fairly fast paced pop/rock songs (not a bad thing) but it's those high pitched keys that really make it stand out for me. I'll add this to the want list. Thanks.

Trust me, the songs that aren't singles (or on the Myspace page) are better....

Trust me, the songs that aren't singles (or on the Myspace page) are better....

Shock horror, I got this one through yesterday and I am liking it quite a bit I can tell you. I liked the singles, but that was all I was really expecting. TIM is quite right in saying the album tracks are really strong. Very enjoyable indeed.

Why is this name so familiar? I must have heard about these guys when they were getting started... but damn the name rings familiar. Looking forward to checking it out...

Not sure about this one, guys. This sounds kind of like Something Corporate or Kid Courageous leftovers.

I don't mind some piano and orchestral arrangments, but there's a bit of overkill on this one, imo. The music is, for lack of a better term, "too involved" without being brilliant as it is still very simple. But there doesn't seem to have been as much effort put towards song writing and the hooks.

If Faber Drive, Change of Pace and Yellowcard are their peers, they have a hell of a long way to go to match it with any of those guys imo. :)

If Faber Drive, Change of Pace and Yellowcard are their peers, they have a hell of a long way to go to match it with any of those guys imo. :)

I think they're pretty different from these bands (though here they are outselling those bands easy), although the market for the music is probably the same. To me they're kinda like a poppier Muse, a bit more Indie-sounding. Love the keys on it, but I agree it's not as good as the Faber Drive or Yellowcard or Paramore....

I think they're pretty different from these bands (though here they are outselling those bands easy), although the market for the music is probably the same. To me they're kinda like a poppier Muse, a bit more Indie-sounding. Love the keys on it, but I agree it's not as good as the Faber Drive or Yellowcard or Paramore....

The last song was actually pretty nice. I agree they're kind of different to those bands, but I also agree the market would be the same, and the guy's voice is similar to those others.

I've only heard samples of Muse, but what I remember they do sound a lot like this.

The last song was actually pretty nice. I agree they're kind of different to those bands, but I also agree the market would be the same, and the guy's voice is similar to those others.

I've only heard samples of Muse, but what I remember they do sound a lot like this.

Hmm have heard Faber Drive, Yellowcard etc and You know my feelings on them. I much prefer this by million miles.

A poppier Muse!! I didn't look at Elliot Minor like that, but I can see where you are coming from, big arrangements wise especially. I love Muse, so probably a reason I really like this!!

Hmm have heard Faber Drive, Yellowcard etc and You know my feelings on them. I much prefer this by million miles.

A poppier Muse!! I didn't look at Elliot Minor like that, but I can see where you are coming from, big arrangements wise especially. I love Muse, so probably a reason I really like this!!

I think this is where our main difference is, my buddy from a distant land, Jez.

For me it's always been about the song. I love a great song and if a bunch of goons who are not stunning musicians like Poison or Yellowcard or Faber Dirve play it it doesn't matter to me. I would much rather a great song with not quite as much musical technique instead of poor songs (imo, of course) and better musicianship.

In all honesty, I actually can't see how you could enjoy Elliot Minor and be so harsh towards Faber Drive or Yellowcard... but to each their own, I guess. :D:P

I think this is where our main difference is, my buddy from a distant land, Jez.

For me it's always been about the song. I love a great song and if a bunch of goons who are not stunning musicians like Poison or Yellowcard or Faber Dirve play it it doesn't matter to me. I would much rather a great song with not quite as much musical technique instead of poor songs (imo, of course) and better musicianship.

In all honesty, I actually can't see how you could enjoy Elliot Minor and be so harsh towards Faber Drive or Yellowcard... but to each their own, I guess. :D:P

I see your point, and I agree with you about a great song being the main ingredient. I think besides EM being pretty good at what they do musically, there are, for me anyways,some really good tunes on this disc as well. There were one maybe two on the Faber Drive disc that I thought were ok and the same on the Yellowcard disc, but the EM tunes just hit home a lot more for some reason. You mentioned earlier about the orchestral arrangements and being too invloved etc, so that is probably another reason why I like this. I'm not saying they are brilliant, as this sort of stuff isn't my usual listening pleasure at all, but I just like it, that's all.

• 1 year later...

Just fyi, I believe these guys have released or are releasing a new CD. I saw the opportunity to give it a spin, but I think I'll leave this one. But for those interested, the news is delivered. Let me know if it's any good. ;)