Science Fiction Fans!

Fat Freddy

Check this out:

This is the trailer to "StarCrash," a 1979 Italian-made ripoff of "Star Wars" (which also nods to/steals bits from "Flash Gordon," "Barbarella," and the Ray Harryhausen films of the '50s) that is quite possibly the BEST bad sci-fi movie in existence. I saw it once on TV when I was about fifteen years old and it's haunted my dreams ever since. When I found this clip on YouTube last night, I laughed so hard I damn near fell out of my chair so I simply HAD to share. I had almost forgotten this film existed, but now I gotta see if I can find it on DVD.

The film stars Christopher Plummer (who must've had a late mortgage payment, that's the only thing I could imagine that would make him accept a role in this turkey), former James Bond Girl Caroline Munro ("The Spy Who Loved Me") as the space babe Stella Starr, and a young David Hasselhoff (no kidding) in his first-ever movie role!!!

Enjoy!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that looks sweet is it out on DVD? :spvader:

I did some trolling on the Net for a DVD last night and found it at deepdiscount.com -- it's about twenty bucks. I may have to spring for it soon cuz now I'm DYING to see the entire movie again.

I did some trolling on the Net for it last night and found it at deepdiscount.com -- it's about twenty bucks. I may have to spring for it soon cuz now I'm DYING to see the entire movie again.

It looks like an even cheesier Flash Gordon.

I did some trolling on the Net for it last night and found it at deepdiscount.com -- it's about twenty bucks. I may have to spring for it soon cuz now I'm DYING to see the entire movie again.

WAY cheesier. But it's got THE HOFF, which makes it even cooler. :lol:

Check out THIS awesome clip of Hoff's light saber battle (!) with a very poorly animated stop-action droid. Seeing his white boy Afro should be all the proof you need that this is the greatest movie ever made. :lol:

WAY cheesier. Hell, it's got THE HOFF, which makes it even cooler. :lol:

Oh yeeeeeaaaah...don't Hassel the Hoff.

More clips (thank God for YouTube!)... here's StarCrash's version of Han Solo (played by another guy with a serious white boy Fro) fighting an alien dude who looks like a green Uncle Fester

"The Most Powerful Weapon in the UNIVERSE!"... which looks a lot like bubbles from a Lava Lamp to me

Man, they don't make movies this awesome anymore. :lol:

Awesomeness. Gotta love that leather Space Bikini. :lol:

Here's another...

I just posted this same one a minute ago. But it's OK cuz it's THE HOFF IN FULL EFFECT KICKIN' MAJOR ROBOT AZZ!! :lol:

Here's another...

I just posted this same one a minute ago. But it's OK cuz it's THE HOFF IN FULL EFFECT KICKIN' MAJOR ROBOT AZZ!! :lol:

That's right you can't get enough of the HOFF.

Someday I hope to meet David Hasselhoff just so I can tell him "Dude, I LOVED StarCrash." He'll probably say "Oh, so YOU'RE the guy. I thought you were just a legend." :lol:

Someday I hope to meet David Hasselhoff just so I can tell him "Dude, I LOVED StarCrash." He'll probably say "Oh, so YOU'RE the guy. I thought you were just a legend." :lol:

:lol: Probably so.

Although now that I just watched that compilation of fight scenes you posted, Bob, I think I'd rather meet those Space Amazon chicks from the second clip. :lol:

WOW is that ever bad.....I won't be watching it since I'm rather narrow minded when it comes to SciFi movies...if it's not serious or reasonably good I'm generally not interested.... <_<

You, sir, obviously have no sense of kitsch. :lol:

So...

Much....

CHEESE!!!!!!! :rofl2:

OMG those clips were SO Bad they were actually GOOD!!!

I KNEW you'd love it. :lol:

Continuing the "StarCrash" madness...

Here's a music video (!) some dude made of "StarCrash" clips set to some Ramones-sounding punk rock song ...the tune is not in English either, which only adds to the surreal quality...

Anyone who's interested in owning this masterpiece on DVD, you can get it from Best Buy for only $19.99. Here's the synopsis from their site...

"Italian schlock-master Luigi Cozzi (billed as Lewis Coates here) directed this low-budget Star Wars rip-off in 1978, right when the sci-fi craze was hitting audiences on a world-wide scale. The story begins familiarly enough, with a huge spaceship tracking through an extremely colorful space scene while under attack by some kind of unknown and deadly force resembling a lava lamp. Being no match for the '60s acid-flashback rays, they manage to jettison a few escape pods just before being blown to kingdom come. Fast forward now to the other end of the galaxy, where we find the best smugglers in town -- gorgeous Stella Star (Caroline Munro) and space-pimp Akton (Marjoe Gortner) -- outrunning a band of cops on their tail. Eventually, they're caught, taken into custody, and sentenced to intense Labor Camps, where Stella is forced to wear a skimpy Barbarella-like outfit by the extreme, merciless guards. A break-out ensues, and in the intense laser shoot-out, Stella manages to escape, only to be captured again by the semi-green-skinned Thor (Robert Tessier) and his annoying southern-drawled robot, Elle (voiced by genre veteran Hamilton Camp). Brought in front of the Emperor of the Galaxy (Christopher Plummer) and reunited with Akton, the sexy duo find themselves suddenly in charge of finding Prince Simon (David Hasselhoff). Thus begins the heroes' amazing adventure through space and time as they search for Hasselhoff and end up fighting Amazons, Cavemen, and the Evil Count Zarth Arn (Joe Spinell) along the way."

And a review from All Movie Guide:

Star Crash: AMG Review

Jeremy Wheeler , AMG

Star Crash is what all Star Wars rip-off fans have been searching for: Everything one loves about Lucas' epic is here, except multiply that by a hundred, and make it extremely cheap! Lightsabers, space battles, and even a whiny, nervous sidekick robot (with a Texan accent!) are all here -- right alongside some of the best perms, egg-carton model work, and the worst that 1978 Italian special effects had to offer! As a precursor to the glossy and surreal productions of his later Lou Ferrigno Hercules movies, director Luigi Cozzi fills each frame with as many garish colors as humanly possible. Creating a virtual assault on all the senses through super-sexy costumes, space-age sets, and extreme sound effects, Cozzi fills the frame with enough eye candy so that as little attention can be payed to the barely comprehensible plot that his gorgeous leads all work their way though -- and what thespians they are! Look up "charisma" in the B-movie handbook and sure enough, one would find Marjoe Gortner! With every appearance, his fiery eyes and pearly white teeth light up the screen as he chews up every terrible line of babble with enough gusto to kill a large elephant. And how about that dialogue? Endless cheesy lines are spewed out in scene after scene of this magnificently charming film. In fact, the dialogue and dubbing are so over-the-top in Star Crash, it's amazing that Luigi Cozzi managed to convince real-deal actor Christopher Plummer to even be in this flick! And just what is he doing here anyway? Hard to say, but it's just another reason that this terrible sci-fi opera is so great. Look out for TV hunk David Hasselhoff in an early role as he battles two stop-motion robots with his trusty lightsaber and feathered hair.

watched the Trailer, it looks like they just used the same plot form "The Gun On Ice Planet Zero" from Battlestar.

atleast, i think that was the name of the episode..

Possibly... but "The Gun On Ice Planet Zero" was just a ripoff of "The Guns of Navarone" set in outer space. :lol: The old "Galactica" show was notorious for borrowing plots from movies. Ever seen "Fire In Space," which was their take on "The Towering Inferno?" :lol:

i have the whole series on DVD, but havent seen them in a few years now.

i think my favourite was the one where Apollo gets trapped on a planet, and theres a Cylon there, who hangs around the bar?

i dont think Starbuck was on the planet, so id assume that Apollo crashlanded.

just looked it up, the episode im thinking of is "The Lost Warrior"

gotta love that vintage Sci-Fi

i have the whole series on DVD, but havent seen them in a few years now.

i think my favourite was the one where Apollo gets trapped on a planet, and theres a Cylon there, who hangs around the bar?

i dont think Starbuck was on the planet, so id assume that Apollo crashlanded.

just looked it up, the episode im thinking of is "The Lost Warrior"

gotta love that vintage Sci-Fi

That's the one where he winds up defending a small Frontier style town, right? The whole episode is like a bad Western film. At the end of it Apollo has to face off against the Cylon ("which the villagers call "Red Eye") in an OK Corral style shootout. Ugh, that one was awful.