Science Fiction Fans!

Fat Freddy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its the only one i remember seeing as a young kid, so whenever people mention Galactica, that one sticks out in my mind...

Oddly enough, the episode that always jumps to my mind is the first one you mentioned, "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero." That was the first episode of the show I saw when I was a kid... and yes, I'm old enough that I saw it during its original run!!

I loved the old "BSG" back then... I had the action figures, the comic books, read the novels, all that happy horse sh*t.

About ten years ago I met Richard Hatch (aka Captain Apollo) -- he wrote a new "BSG" novel called "Armageddon" and did an autograph signing to promote it at a bookstore near my house. Hell of a nice guy. I totally geeked out when I got to talk to him.

Don't really care for the "re-imagined" version that's on Sci-Fi Channel now though. Too dark, too depressing. The old "BSG" was just plain fun!

its the only one i remember seeing as a young kid, so whenever people mention Galactica, that one sticks out in my mind...

Oddly enough, the episode that always jumps to my mind is the first one you mentioned, "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero." That was the first episode of the show I saw when I was a kid... and yes, I'm old enough that I saw it during its original run!!

I loved the old "BSG" back then... I had the action figures, the comic books, read the novels, all that happy horse sh*t.

About ten years ago I met Richard Hatch (aka Captain Apollo) -- he wrote a new "BSG" novel called "Armageddon" and did an autograph signing to promote it at a bookstore near my house. Hell of a nice guy. I totally geeked out when I got to talk to him.

Don't really care for the "re-imagined" version that's on Sci-Fi Channel now though. Too dark, too depressing. The old "BSG" was just plain fun!

The Old BSG was great!! I too had the action figures and even the spaceship...

wasn't Barbra Stanwick in that series or am I just loosing it.. :unsure:

I see nothin' on IMDB about Barbara Stanwyck ever being on the old series...

I see nothin' on IMDB about Barbara Stanwyck ever being on the old series...

I must be losing it...for some reason I thought she was in that series ..... :wacko:

the new one sucks, i mean Boomer and Starbuck are girls!! thats just not right..

the new one sucks, i mean Boomer and Starbuck are girls!! thats just not right..

It DOES have that hot blonde Cylon-in-disguise-as-a-human chick though... whatever her name is...

I was totally jacked when Sci-Fi brought "BSG" back, I remember being all psyched when I first watched the initial mini-series... I thought it was done well, but I haven't bothered with it since... it just wasn't "my" BSG, if ya know what I mean.

Too modern, lacks the classic feel.

Let's face it, not everything can have the timeless quality of 'StarCrash.' :lol:

I SO need to get that movie on DVD now!!

I gotta see this...is it SO bad that it's good?

I'd say "yes" but then I have terrible taste in movies. :lol: Check out the YouTube clips and judge for yourself. It all depends on your tolerance for cinematic cheez, I guess. Seriously though, this movie has got EVERYTHING...hilarious special effects, light sabers, hot Space Babes, a robot with a Texan accent, and David FREAKIN' Hasselhoff. How can you possibly go wrong with all that??

Disclaimer: If you actually DO bother to track down this movie, I take no responsibility for the 90 or so minutes of your life that you will never get back. :lol:

WOW is that ever bad.....I won't be watching it since I'm rather narrow minded when it comes to SciFi movies...if it's not serious or reasonably good I'm generally not interested.... <_<

You, sir, obviously have no sense of kitsch. :lol:

So...

Much....

CHEESE!!!!!!! :rofl2:

OMG those clips were SO Bad they were actually GOOD!!!

I KNEW you'd love it. :lol:

Kitsch...isn't that Polish for "Oh my God that stinks" :lol:

It DOES have that hot blonde Cylon-in-disguise-as-a-human chick though... whatever her name is...

I was totally jacked when Sci-Fi brought "BSG" back, I remember being all psyched when I first watched the initial mini-series... I thought it was done well, but I haven't bothered with it since... it just wasn't "my" BSG, if ya know what I mean.

We definitely view SciFi differently as I love the new BSG and the old one is rather irritating.... :whistle:

• 2 years later...

Bumpin' an ancient thread here... latest scoop has it that "Starcrash" will finally have a DVD release in the US this August, as part of the "Shout Factory" label's roll-out of the Roger Corman film library. Coooool. I may finally get to re-experience this flick after all. It's been 25+ years.

Bumpin' an ancient thread here... latest scoop has it that "Starcrash" will finally have a DVD release in the US this August, as part of the "Shout Factory" label's roll-out of the Roger Corman film library. Coooool. I may finally get to re-experience this flick after all. It's been 25+ years.

And yet another reason why I MUST see this... Roger Corman also did "Rock and Roll Highschool"!!! :beerbang:

That is just the best...lol, the part with the sword wielding robot on the beach in the original trailer link at the 1:47 mark is a complete Jason and the Argonauts copy. Then the head under the glass dome later on is just like 1953's Invaders from Mars. hahaha Class stuff....love to see the full film!

That is just the best...lol, the part with the sword wielding robot on the beach in the original trailer link is a complete Jason and the Argonauts copy. hahaha Class stuff.

EVERYTHING in that movie is ripped off from somewhere else... the most obvious ones are "Star Wars" and "Flash Gordon" (the Queen soundtracked, "FLASH! AAAAAAAAHHHH!" version of course) but there are tons of other nuggets hidden in it... the guys who wrote this movie didn't have an original idea to call their own. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Welp, I finally pulled the trigger on this DVD. When I was ordering the new Accept CD from Amazon yesterday, I went "Awww, what the hell" and threw "Star Crash" in my cart at the last minute to go with it. The DVD gets released the same day as the Accept disc (Sept. 14) so I imagine they'll both arrive on the same day. Soon I shall re-experience the film that's haunted my dreams for the past 25 years! :rofl2:

Next on my "Must-Have" list from the Roger Corman Cult Classic Library: Joe Dante's original "Piranha"

• 2 weeks later...

My Amazon order came today so I am now the proud owner of this cheeseball classic :banana:

starcrash-dvd-boc-211x300.jpg

Believe it or not, there's an entire 2nd disc loaded with bonus features... interviews, making-of stuff, trivia, etc., etc. Who knew that so many people actually remembered this flick?

Watched the movie Thursday night before I went away for the weekend... and yes, it's just as cheeseball as I remembered. I smiled all the way through it. "Star Crash" is crap, but it's such AWESOME crap... :P

Had so much fun watching this flick a few nights ago that I posted a review of it on IMDb:

Starcrash (1978) Rating: 7/10

Yeah, it's Crap...but it's AWESOME Crap!, 20 September 2010

I was a teenage sci-fi geek when I first stumbled across "Star Crash" on Sunday afternoon TV (circa 1984). I had never heard of the film but at the time I was interested in seeing anything space-based. As soon as the opening scenes rolled by, it quickly became obvious that I should not expect a classic, but as the film continued I had a blast laughing at the nonsensical dialogue, hammy over-the-top acting, cheap special effects, candy-colored set designs, and blatant 'steals' from other films. It was mostly terrible, but I loved it. "Star Crash" was a deliriously cool "B" movie that made quite an impression on me.

Time went by and though I never saw "Star Crash" again on TV or in the video store, the film haunted my dreams for nearly 25 years. Let's face it, it'd be pretty hard for any red blooded American boy to forget the gorgeous Stella Starr and her leather space bikini, not to mention the seemingly endless (cheesy) space battles, a white guy with an Afro battling badly animated stop motion robots, and a young David Hasselhoff! Thus, when Shout Factory announced a deluxe 2-DVD (!) edition of "Star Crash" was in the works as part of their awesome "Roger Corman Cult Classics" series, I had to plunk down my $$ for a copy. I watched the film a few nights ago with a big stupid smile on my face the entire time. Yes, "Star Crash" is crap ... but it's such AWESOME crap that you can't help but love every minute of this Italian-made mish-mash. Director Luigi Cozzi (a protégé of horror meister Dario Argento) is apparently a lifelong sci-fi fan who had always wanted a chance to do a film in that style. When "Star Wars" became a monster hit in 1977, the Italian B-movie industry naturally wanted to get in on the action and so they called Cozzi. Like any good fanboy would do if given his dream opportunity, Cozzi went absolutely nuts, gleefully borrowing bits not only from "Star Wars," but also "Barbarella," "Jason and the Argonauts," and the old "Flash Gordon" and "Buck Rogers" serials (to name just a few), putting'em all in a blender on the "liquify" setting, and coming out with a flick that ended up being way more than just a simple "Star Wars" cash-in. "Star Crash" is not only a truly bizarre movie in its own right, but it's also Cozzi's love letter to an entire film genre.

The story: Sexy space pirate Stella Starr (former Bond Girl Caroline Munro, who looks astoundingly hot in the aforementioned leather bikini and go-go boots) and her co-pilot Akton (wooden '70s character actor Marjoe Gortner) are arrested by the Space Police for various crimes against the Galaxy, but the Emperor of the Universe (Christopher Plummer, dropping in to earn a quick mortgage payment) offers them a reprieve if they go on a quest to find the "secret planet" of the evil Zarth Arn (a miscast Joe Spinell of "Maniac" fame; he's channeling Ming the Merciless if he were being played by Freddie Mercury). Zarth (ha!) is threatening the universe with a super powerful weapon that must be destroyed. The Emperor's son disappeared while trying to find it, so hey, if Stella and Akton could pick him up while they're at it, well, that'd be swell too.

Thus, Akton and Stella head off on a series of interstellar adventures with their annoying Police Robot sidekick "El," who for some reason is programmed to talk like a Western cowboy, which gets old really quick. As she travels from planet to planet, Stella runs afoul of a gang of hot Space Amazons and their giant, sword-throwing robot with boobs, barely survives being frozen on an arctic planet, and finally hooks up with the prince (David Hasselhoff in his first major film role) on a world of savage cavemen. It just so happens that Prince Hoff crash landed on the same planet that houses Zarth's secret weapon, so they call in reinforcements for the Space Battle to End All Space Battles, with hundreds of plastic model-kit ships zipping past multi-colored starfield backgrounds, exploding left and right, while the Emperor's forces fight it out with Zarth's army aboard his fist-shaped base ship. (Try not to crack a smile as Spinell stalks back and forth across the bridge of his ship, barking "KILL! KILL!" at the top of his lungs as his soldiers race around having laser gun battles with the good guys. Seriously. Just try.) Do the good guys win? Does it matter? "Star Crash" moves along at such a breathless pace that you barely have time to think about how silly the whole thing is until it's over. The cast seems to be having a blast, and though director Cozzi obviously didn't have a huge budget to work with on this flick, he squeezed the maximum out of every dollar (or perhaps that should be "every Lira"). The movie is absolutely packed with eye candy (and I'm not just talking about Caroline Munro, though the fact that she IS in nearly every scene helps a lot) and has a unique, ridiculous look that's all its own.

Shout Factory's DVD is stuffed with a multitude of bonus features including interviews with Munro and Cozzi, two (!) commentary tracks by obsessed "Star Crash" scholar Stephen Romano, documentaries on the special effects and music, an art gallery, and probably a few dozen other things that I haven't even found yet. The Roger Corman Cult Classics DVDs has been a killer series thus far and "Star Crash" is no exception. These are people who truly love their "B" movies! Seriously folks, if you buy just one Italian-made low budget "Star Wars" ripoff this year, make sure it's this one. "Star Crash" is now ready to be re-discovered by a whole new generation of film junkies. If you haven't seen it before, now is your chance. Go for Hyperspace!

I Must Own :blink:

Yes, you must. Stella Star commands you.

Caroline+Munro+-+Star+Crash.jpg

starcrash_caroline_munro.jpg

2006-10-01_140202_caroline_munro1.jpg

"You WILL buy my DVD, Dom. Or I will order the Imperial Starship to stop the flow of time merely by batting my eyelashes."