Motor Ace

Geoff

This will probably mostly be for the Aussies here, but are there any other fans of these guys here?

I actually rate these guys in my top 5 all-time favourite Aussie bands. The debut EP is flawless hard rock and the debut full-length album, 'Five star laundry' is so f*cking awesome it's hard to believe at times. The next album, 'Shoot this' wasn't quite as awesome, but a very good album anyway. The last album, 'Animal' was a huge disappointment bar a couple (literally) of songs. I was sad to see them call it quits, but it may have been best if 'Animal' was the direction they were headed.

The other awesome thing about this band was their singles. I pretty much have ALL their singles because they all have 2-3 unreleased tracks, which were often as good as their album tracks. For a long time these guys couldn't write a filler... or very few anyway.

These were the first band I ever saw live and I saw them a couple of times and they were always f*cking excellent.

Their earlier work is just awesome, imo. I love Patrick Robertson's style of song-writing. Beautiful, sincere and personal... just the way I like it.

Any other fans at all?

A couple of video links:

'Criminal Past':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R7cwFGqSPw...feature=related

'Hey driver':

'Five star laundry':

'Keeping secrets':

'Tomorrow's gone':

I am huge huge fan of Motor Ace, have been since their 5 track EP.

Five Star Laundry is one of my highest rated albums ever. It's hard to pick a favourite track but Five Star Laundry, Lorenzo, Budge, Siamese, Enemies, Criminal Past and Money & Sympathy are all very cool tracks. Hey Driver, Death Defy, American Shoes and Chairman Of The Board are cool as well but I think I played those one to death when the album came out.

As for the follow up album 'Shoot This', I think it deserves much more attention than fans have given it. There are some stellar rock songs on this CD, especially toward the end of the album such as Keeping Secrets, Ride The Wave, Where Did You Go, When The Day Falls and When The Feelings Gone.

Their 3rd and final album before disbanding 'Animal' was very poor.

Geoff I hear what your saying about the singles, I've got a heap of cool tracks that were never released on the albums but could quite easily have had their place on them. The singles I have are death defy, hey driver, carry on, keeping secrets, tomorrow's gone. Do you know of any others?

They were a sensational band to see live. I remember back in '01 or '02 seeing them play with two other Aussie bands Speedstar and Denvar, both bands that I since became a fan of.

Awesome... good to see another fan, mate.

I'll check my singles on the weekend and let you know what I have. I think I have quite a few. I like 'Shoot this' a lot too. I still think there was only one filler on that one or something like that. They were consistent as hell. So many songs made it onto my Ipod...

I'll check my singles on the weekend and let you know what I have. I think I have quite a few. I like 'Shoot this' a lot too. I still think there was only one filler on that one or something like that. They were consistent as hell. So many songs made it onto my Ipod...

Mate - I'm not posting here for an argument, just to post my opinion, but this really is complete bollox. Shouldn't this 'Hard Rock' band be called Motor Arse - surely some mistake!!! My god your list gets longer rapidly!! :whistle:

Mate - I'm not posting here for an argument, just to post my opinion, but this really is complete bollox. Shouldn't this 'Hard Rock' band be called Motor Arse - surely some mistake!!! My god your list gets longer rapidly!! :whistle:

Sorry mate, this thread was directed towards people who can appreciate sincere, passionate song writing mixed with beautiful melody and a hard rock backbone.

Haven't you got some H.I.M. CDs you need to turn down the lights, give up on life and drink blood to, mate? :tumbsup:

Sorry mate, this thread was directed towards people who can appreciate sincere, passionate song writing mixed with beautiful melody and a hard rock backbone.

:rofl2: You really have lost it haven't you. You say some decidedly strange things in describing bands sometimes, but this takes the top prize!!! By the looks of this thread, you are also pretty much talking to yourself as well, because, like most of this other bands that sound like this, people of a certain age (ie above 16) couldn't give a monkeys. Hard rock backbone - my arse.

But Motor Ace sound just like Toto!!!!

YOU BASTARD!! They do not! They sound like Cauterize!!

Do they??? Zzzzzzzzzzz

Ill be quiet now

Best be - we don't want any one else slating the boy bands around here besides me thanks.

:rofl2: You really have lost it haven't you. You say some decidedly strange things in describing bands sometimes, but this takes the top prize!!! By the looks of this thread, you are also pretty much talking to yourself as well, because, like most of this other bands that sound like this, people of a certain age (ie above 16) couldn't give a monkeys. Hard rock backbone - my arse.

It seems that your fondness for Toto and Pride of Lions has taught you a complete disregard for the art of a good song. Their first 2 CDs rock as hard as any band. If it's not your style of hard rock, fair enough. So be it. But just keep in mind not every band has to sound like some shitty 40 year old AOR band to be classified as rock, or to be good music. :)

It seems that your fondness for Toto and Pride of Lions has taught you a complete disregard for the art of a good song. Their first 2 CDs rock as hard as any band. If it's not your style of hard rock, fair enough. So be it. But just keep in mind not every band has to sound like some shitty 40 year old AOR band to be classified as rock, or to be good music. :)

Preacher and resident fucking know all now telling me what a good song sounds like and how to label bands. Me thinks a Fuck off is in order. And I ain't joking either.

Preacher and resident fucking know all now telling me what a good song sounds like and how to label bands.

Isn't this what you've just done in 3 other threads today? :tumbsup:

Preacher and resident fucking know all now telling me what a good song sounds like and how to label bands.

Isn't this what you've just done in 3 other threads today? :tumbsup:

Not preaching to anyone, just giving you my valuable opinions that you should take note of and treasure, that's all .You will thank me when you start listening to proper music when you are a little older. And I am certainly not a fucking know all either buddy. Just musically wise shall we say!!!

• 1 year later...

For those who care, probably not many, but these guys have a DVD coming out soon. I'm not yet sure of the track list but hopefully it will be mainly songs from their first album 'Five Star Laundry'. Very under-rated band!

Wow, I thought you'd brought it back to life to tell me they were back together. :( Odd time to bring a DVD out - hope it means there is hope for a reunion. But as you say, as long as it sounds like their early days and not 'Animal'.

• 10 months later...

I think I'm only speaking to Geoff here, but anyway the Motor Ace DVD is now out.

LIBDVD1095_1.JPG

"Motor Ace was an Australian rock band that formed in Melbourne in 1998. Signed to Mushroom Records, they released 3 albums, the second 'Shoot This' debuted at #1 on the ARIA chart. in 2005, one of our finest rock bands called it quits. This film captures their final ever performance shot at the Hi-Fi Bar in Melbourne on a sweltering summer night in December 2005. Interwining reflections and candid filmed footage of the band members with one final blistering performance, this film is both a tribute and a lament. Produced & Directed by Rhys Graham & Natasha Gadd.

Track Listing"

1. Keeping Secrets

2. The Time, The Place

3. Five Star Laundry

4. Criminal Past

5. Tomorrow's Gone

6. Not So Blue

7. Shoot This

8. Siamese

9. Lorenzo

10. Pieces

11. Where Did You Go?

12. Chromakey

13. Here Comes The Rain

14. A Little Closer

15. Death Defy

16. Carry On

17. Mind Up

18. Fluke

19. Hey Driver

20. Chairman Of The Board

Ordered mine today from JB Hi-Fi for $22

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. Is it good? I saw them quite a few times live and they were always excellent. Would be keen to check this out. A few classics missing, but overall a pretty cool tracklist.

Nice. Is it good? I saw them quite a few times live and they were always excellent. Would be keen to check this out. A few classics missing, but overall a pretty cool tracklist.

Will let you know as soon as it arrives. Agreed, a couple of their best tunes are missing from the track list (especially from 'Shoot This'), but overall looks pretty good.