Altered - 'Dreaming Awake'

Geoff

Hey guys, any fans of the band Altered? They sort of came from out of nowhere and to be honest have kicked my ass. It's shaping up as one of my favourite modern releases on 2007 already. Here's a link to some samples:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/alteredrock

http://www.myspace.com/alteredrocks

Personally, for me, this guy has arguably my favourite voice in modern rock yet. The songs aren't quite as polished as a lot of other modern stuff, but there are some awesome hooks and the band has an awesome heavy sound.

Track listing for 'Dreaming Awake' is:

1 Remember

2 Sunday

3 Forgotten Heroes

4 Dreaming Awake

5 Tearing it Down

6 Blind Man's Eyes

7 Human

8 Breaking The Silence

9 Your Lies

10 The Road Home

That sounds kick ass. Dreaming Awake is my favorite. You are right. His voice is just awesome.

Yeah, the first 4 tracks are the strongest, IMO. I love 'Remember' and 'Sunday'. The dude's voice sounds excellent on one of the later slower tracks too.

"Sunday

I’ve seen this place before/ One time in a dream, I could feel so perfect and real/ I put on my happy face and say my grace so my week can waste, waste and peal

But have you ever woken up Sunday/ And wished it was Monday cause you don’t care at all/ And have you ever waited for Sunday/ One day in the week where redemption breaks your fall/ And now you fall…

This is the way that it goes/ These are your friends among foes/ Six days where faith isn’t real, and then the church doors open/ I’m not a perfect man, but at least I don’t get caught up in these games/ These people are all the same

Pass the plate around one more time/ Put in your tithe and return to your ugliness/ Sing your happiest song for Jesus/ You’re singing a different one for every day of the week"

At first, I thought this band, like every other modern rock band in the world, was another christian band, but closer inspection of these lyrics would indicate the opposite, would it not? This song is great, and very intriguing.

I believe it refers to church goers waking up on a Sunday where they're expected at church, and wishing it was a Monday so they'd not have to waste their time at church? Am I on the right trail? Or completely off it? Kick-ass song either way.

"Sunday

I’ve seen this place before/ One time in a dream, I could feel so perfect and real/ I put on my happy face and say my grace so my week can waste, waste and peal

But have you ever woken up Sunday/ And wished it was Monday cause you don’t care at all/ And have you ever waited for Sunday/ One day in the week where redemption breaks your fall/ And now you fall…

This is the way that it goes/ These are your friends among foes/ Six days where faith isn’t real, and then the church doors open/ I’m not a perfect man, but at least I don’t get caught up in these games/ These people are all the same

Pass the plate around one more time/ Put in your tithe and return to your ugliness/ Sing your happiest song for Jesus/ You’re singing a different one for every day of the week"

At first, I thought this band, like every other modern rock band in the world, was another Christian band, but closer inspection of these lyrics would indicate the opposite, would it not? This song is great, and very intriguing.

I believe it refers to church goers waking up on a Sunday where they're expected at church and wishing it was Monday so they'd not have to waste their time at church? Am I on the right trail? Or completely off it? Kick-ass song either way.

No, I don't think you're too far off base, though I think a case can be made that the lyrics are also talking about hypocritical Christians who go to church and act holy one day per week, but ignore their faith the other six days. In that respect, I suppose you could call it a "Christian" song, or at least a song with a spiritual message/truth to it, but I don't really think Altered is a Christian band in the strictest sense of the word.

As far as the music goes, I gave 'em a listen, but they failed to grab me. I do agree that the singer has a great voice though. Bottom line, nothing wrong with them, but nothing too special about them either, though I certainly can understand why some folks 'round here would enjoy them better than I.

Not bad at all....I'll pick this cd up!

I love the intro to "Breaking the Silence"......great melody to "Human"......

Yep....cool stuff....!

• 2 years later...

Wow, this is only $5.99 at CD Baby. I'm going to have a look on the site now as I still regularly search for this CD but have been unlucky so far. Aren't the shipping rates on CD Baby f*cked now, though?