The Good Old Days

We are in Bali at the moment.

Aussies tend to use this place as a cheap escape.

I haven't been her for 12 years. First time was 30+ years ago and I still have vivid memories of all the cassette shops blasting 80s hard rock.

I'd walk past and hear bands I'd never heard before. We weren't really able to hear new US bands easily. No hard rock radio etc, obviously no internet.

Remember hearing some songs blasting and thinking "who is THAT?" 

never Enough by LA Guns, Kix, XZY, Faster Pussycat Ballad Of Jayne, White Lion, etc

I'd come home with 20 or so knock off cassettes and hope to make it through customs with them. Always did.

Then I'd play the hell out of them and either turf them or replace them with albums, then terf the cassettes if they were good. Eventually I'd replace them with CDs when they became a thing. Never did the knock off CDs, always stuck with the tapes so I wasn't tempted to keep the fakes.

No music shops here any more, obviously times have changed, but I still walk the street reliving those glory days 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

We are in Bali at the moment.

Aussies tend to use this place as a cheap escape.

I haven't been her for 12 years. First time was 30+ years ago and I still have vivid memories of all the cassette shops blasting 80s hard rock.

I'd walk past and hear bands I'd never heard before. We weren't really able to hear new US bands easily. No hard rock radio etc, obviously no internet.

Remember hearing some songs blasting and thinking "who is THAT?" 

never Enough by LA Guns, Kix, XZY, Faster Pussycat Ballad Of Jayne, White Lion, etc

I'd come home with 20 or so knock off cassettes and hope to make it through customs with them. Always did.

Then I'd play the hell out of them and either turf them or replace them with albums, then terf the cassettes if they were good. Eventually I'd replace them with CDs when they became a thing. Never did the knock off CDs, always stuck with the tapes so I wasn't tempted to keep the fakes.

No music shops here any more, obviously times have changed, but I still walk the street reliving those glory days 🙂

That's okay, I don't think there are any specialty music stores in the U.S. either.