Mark Edwards - Land Of The Living (35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

Stefan

NTAtMTAxMC5qcGVn.jpeg

From MelodicRock Classics:

MelodicRock Classics is proud to announce the label’s first collaboration with a classic Australian artist. Aussie melodic rock artist singer / songwriter / guitarist Mark Edwards joins the label to compile all his solo recordings into one place for the very first time, with numerous tracks making their debut on CD.

Mark Edwards made his debut in 1983 in the band Runners, with a line-up that also featured fellow singer/songwriter/guitarist Paul Norton. After the band disbanded with just the one album to their name, Mark signed with WEA Records to release his acclaimed solo album ‘Land Of The Living’ in 1986. It would turn out to be his only record, but still delivered one of that summer’s breakout hits ‘World’s Away’.

Subsequent singles ‘Land Of The Living’ and ‘Only A Love’ were released with non-album b-sides; followed by a stand alone single ‘High Times’ the following year. There were also a few Extended Versions available on the 12” Singles released, none of which ever made it to a CD release. In fact, some of the audio was so scarce, vinyl rips came from MRC owner Andrew McNeice’s own collection

The album itself was subject to a very limited CD run in the late 80s, pressed before the use of barcodes and long since designated a true Australian rarity. As was commonplace with many other titles released on CD in the early days, the sound suffered a lack of bottom end.

Now, thanks to the partnership between MelodicRock Classics and Mark Edwards, his complete solo recordings are being compiled into a fantastic double disc set, featuring the original album and all the singles and b-sides, all fully remastered by JK Northrup for this special limited edition release.

Featuring on the various recordings are some familiar names in the Oz rock scene – vocalists Sharon O’Neill and Vanetta Fields; James Morrison on trumpet; and multi-instrumentalist and co-producer Michael Hegerty. Not to mention, acclaimed session men Ricki Fataar and Rick Chadwick.

‘Land Of The Living – 35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition’ will be released via MelodicRock Classics October 8 with pre-sales available this week, alongside the label’s other October 8 release TBA.

The full track listing is:

Disc 1: The Album

01. Land Of The Living 3.51

02. World's Away 4:12

03. So Listen 5:45

04. Something New 4:00

05. Candy Baby 4:03

06. Wedding Ring 3:53

07. Only A Love 4:11

08. Life And Times 3:31

09. Time Goes By 3:18

10. Somebody Like You 3:53

Disc 2: Bonus Tracks

01. Hard Times (1987 Single) 3:55

02. Up From Under (Unreleased Demo) 3:20

03. Moonbeam (B-side) 3:34

04. Shah And Kim (B-side) 4:00

05. Land Of The Living (Extended Mix) 7:19

06. One And Only (Extended Version) 6:32

07. Only A Love (Extended Mix) 6:21

08. High Times (Extended Mix) 7:19

09. World's Away (Single Edit) 3:55

10. So Listen (Edit Version) 5:04

11. Land Of The Living (Long Version) 7:31

Edited by Stefan

• 2023 Gold Donors
9 hours ago, Doggy said:

Runners were a very underrated band, even some Australia didn't heard of them. They got some of Cutting Crew sound.

Can't say I've ever heard of "Runners".

I've heard of Paul Norton. He had a lot of commercial success in 1990 with this one

The amount of Aussie talent mentioned above is impressive, so I'm interested, but that track isn't really doing it for me.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Can't say I've ever heard of "Runners".

I've heard of Paul Norton. He had a lot of commercial success in 1990 with this one

The amount of Aussie talent mentioned above is impressive, so I'm interested, but that track isn't really doing it for me.

You can add that Paul is married to Wendy Stapleton from Wendy & the Rocketts