Tomi Malm - Walkin' On Air

Stefan

R-10867444-1505640090-1259.jpeg.jpg

This may not be for everyone but I know Jez will like it.

I really like the work he did with Fireal and with the late PJ Rautianen (RIP). I guess the demos cut with PJ won't be officially released.

From www.contanteysonante.com:

Tomi Malm hails from Finland and has been a respected figure for the past twenty-plus years on the North-European music scene. Malm works as a composer, arranger, orchestrator and producer on a multitude of successful records, TV themes and multimedia scores. In 2009, Malm rose to international attention with the now-classic release of Fly Away: The Songs Of David Foster, also on the Contante & Sonante label. Malm arranged and produced a number of David Foster's classics on Fly Away. Malm showed such creativity and freshness on these recordings that he gained high praise and blessings from “The Hitman” David Foster himself. That project took the West Coast/quality pop music scene by storm, and in the past few years it has become a landmark for musicians and fans of the genre on every corner of the planet.

Today, Tomi Malm returns with Walkin’ On Air, his debut solo album, another stunning ride on pop music's most elegant grooves. On this collection of winning tracks, the Finnish wizard wrote or co-wrote all but two of the songs. The track list presents a variety of styles, from jazz-infused pop gems to refined ballads, smooth funky jams and pristine fusion instrumentals.

Featuring an extraordinary cast of world-class vocalists, including Jason Scheff, Clif Magness, Jeff Pescetto, Warren Wiebe, ZoSia, Frank Adahl, Julian Thomas, Jerry Lopez, Shem von Schroeck and Ashton Moran, Malm's inventive arrangements and top-notch production are brought to life thanks to the usual ace session roster that includes legends such as Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting, Zappa, Herbie Hancock), John “JR” Robinson (Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Quincy Jones) and Simon Phillips (Toto, The Corrs, Peter Gabriel) on drums, Dan Warner (Madonna, Timbaland, Barry Gibb) and James Harrah (Aaron Neville, Herbie Hancock, Chris Botti) on guitars, Neil Stubenhaus (Roberta Flack, Joe Cocker, Michael McDonald) and Alex Al (Michael Jackson, Al Jarreau, George Duke) on bass, Robbie Buchanan (Whitney Houston, Barbra Streisand, Chaka Khan) on keyboards plus Luis Conte (James Taylor, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton) on percussion. The horn department is also stellar, with aces like Eric Marienthal (Chick Corea, Barbra Streisand, Elton John) and Brandon Fields (Tower of Power, The Rippingtons, George Benson) on sax, and a guest appearance from the smoking Santa Fe & The Fat City Horns.

Get the CD here: http://contanteysonante.bigcartel.com/product/tomi-malm-walkin-on-air

Tracklisting:

01. “Kuwakaribisha” (Tomi Malm)
02. “Favor” Featuring Frank Adahl (Tomi Malm / Frank Adahl)
03. “When You’re Gone” Featuring Julian Thomas (Tomi Malm / Cecily Gardner)
04. “Walkin’ On Air” Featuring Jason Scheff (Tomi Malm / Jackie Kavan)
05. “Show Me A Sign” Featuring Warren Wiebe & ZoSia (Hank Easton)
06. “Perfect Imperfection” Featuring Jeff Pescetto (Tomi Malm / Jackie Kavan)
07. “Still Life” (Tomi Malm)
08. “Wouldn’t It Be Kinder” Featuring Shem (Tomi Malm / Cecily Gardner)
09. “Let’s Get To It” Featuring Jerry Lopez (Tomi Malm / Jerry Lopez)
10. “A Reason To Smile” Featuring Julian Thomas (Jeremy Lubbock)
11. “You Belong To Me” Featuring Clif Magness (Tomi Malm / Jeri Lynne)
12. “Today” (Tomi Malm / Jyrki Manninen)

Got this this morning and have been playing it most of the day. Super smooth West Coast is the order of the day and of it's type, this is gonna be hard to beat this year. Absolute top drawer

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
On 10/9/2017 at 9:11 PM, Jez said:

Got this this morning and have been playing it most of the day. Super smooth West Coast is the order of the day and of it's type, this is gonna be hard to beat this year. Absolute top drawer

Finally got round to hearing this and agree 100% Jez, superb album. Probably to lite for most on this board but i love westcoast aor, so i put on the cans and just enjoyed,again,superb album.