Machine Head: "Unto the Locust" review

While this won't appeal to most people here, my review of Machine Head's new album, "Unto the Locust," is now available over at Hardrock Haven. Click the link below to check it out:

Machine Head review

If you have a taste for the modern heavy/thrash metal sound, this one is tough to beat.

Is it better than The Blackening? That one was highly rated. I own the first three with the debut "Burn My Eyes" being my fav. That one came out of left field to kick my ass back in '94.

Didn't read the review, did ya? ;) Yes, in my opinion, it's significantly better than "The Blackening," in that it's far more accessible but doesn't sacrifice intensity & heaviness in the process. I expected little from the album and wound up rather impressed.

Is it better than The Blackening? That one was highly rated. I own the first three with the debut "Burn My Eyes" being my fav. That one came out of left field to kick my ass back in '94.

Didn't read the review, did ya? ;) Yes, in my opinion, it's significantly better than "The Blackening," in that it's far more accessible but doesn't sacrifice intensity & heaviness in the process. I expected little from the album and wound up rather impressed.

Guitly as charged no I didn't read the review but i will right away. :anon:

I always love your reviews Mark. Even if it's something I wouldn't like you still write an interesting review. :git:

Guilty as charged...no, I didn't read the review but I will right away. :anon:

I always love your reviews, Mark. Even if it's something I wouldn't like you still write an interesting review. :git:

Why, thank you, my good man. I don't subscribe to the theory that music reviews must be a dry, boring litany of the facts. Instead, I try to deliver those facts in an entertaining way that's interesting to read. Whether or not I succeed is up to each individual reader to decide...

• 1 month later...

Even though I'd bare-knuckle fight you in the streets over your opinion on "The Blackening" (best Metal album in 10 years IMO), I think you're on-the-money with this one. The production is thick and heavy, and the whole thing sounds brutal and intense, and the quality of guitar-work is unrivalled - though Lamb of God come close. I'm not a big fan of the acoustic tune nor the use of strings/orchestra and the choir, so would rate this lower than "The Blackening", but otherwise it's pretty essential if you like Modern Metal. Plus my version has an awesome "fan-pack" with a magazine/patch/keyring etc.