PLANET 3 - Music From the Planet (remaster)

TIM (2)

I notice this one has just been remastered by Sonic Thrust (with a terrible cover), containing the bonus track "Dreamers" and some liner notes by Dave Reynolds of ex-Kerrang! fame. Whereas this is in my all-time Top 5 AOR albums and is an absolute monster of killer tunes by Jay Graydon/Clif Magness, the bonus track is pretty average (I already have it) and this is based upon the Euro-version with the awful "Modern Girl" tagged onto the end - not sung by Magness. This album is utterly essential IMO, but it is worth every single penny to seek out the Japanese version called "A Heart From the Big Machine" with the better packaging and with one of the greatest ever westcoast/AOR songs on the end called "I Will Be Loving You" - sung by Magness. Skip this re-mastered version IMO.

what ive heard from this album is pretty chill, way light, but killer catchy tunes, to hunt down the japanese version which im sure is dirt cheap, I need someones reassurance that every song on here is equally as good as the first 2, which are the ones I heard at my step dads house, does this group have anything to do with Jay Graydon or not? give me a little backing info, cause generally Tim i dont ever admit it but i look into shit you post on here, and find you are hardly ever off, or hardly ever say a band is good, if it is not, but i just havent heard this whole cd, is it all at least as good as the first part of the disc?

what ive heard from this album is pretty chill, way light, but killer catchy tunes, to hunt down the japanese version which im sure is dirt cheap, I need someones reassurance that every song on here is equally as good as the first 2, which are the ones I heard at my step dads house, does this group have anything to do with Jay Graydon or not? give me a little backing info, cause generally Tim i dont ever admit it but i look into shit you post on here, and find you are hardly ever off, or hardly ever say a band is good, if it is not, but i just havent heard this whole cd, is it all at least as good as the first part of the disc?

Yeah this is Jay Graydon's project, along with Glen Ballard and Clif Magness. The harmonies are sensational and the first 7 songs are all utterly flawless IMHO with very little to choose between them. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick a best track then it would be "I Don't Wanna Say Goodnight", but there are at least 7 (depending upon which version you get) outright monster tunes. This is a little like Magness' own album "Solo", but more consistent. The Euro version ends with a song sung by Bill Cantos which is just MOR drivel, whereas the JAP closing song is utterly incredible.

'I Don't Wanna Say Goodnight' is magical, pure westcoast perfection, a very Chicago vibe there don't u think ?

btw i'm also lookin for this disc but hell it's not an easy job to look for the original pressing especially Jap, btw yeah i think the remastered version's cover is horrible but even that thing is very rare these days, or do you know any place cheap ?

'I Don't Wanna Say Goodnight' is magical, pure westcoast perfection, a very Chicago vibe there don't u think ?

btw i'm also lookin for this disc but hell it's not an easy job to look for the original pressing especially Jap, btw yeah i think the remastered version's cover is horrible but even that thing is very rare these days, or do you know any place cheap ?

Sorry don't know anywhere cheap, though AOR Heaven have the new re-master. Agree it's a bit like Chicago, though Magness' smooth vocs remind me of the more AOR singer-songwriter types like Brett Walker/Stan Meissner/Tim Feehan. There are plenty of different versions of this thing available but my advice would always be to seek out the JAP one, whatever the cost. And avoid the "Gems Unreleased" follow-up disc, which has very few "gems" on it.

How come Jez hasnt piped in on this? that's kind of what im waiting for???