Travis Tritt

66 mustang

NEW CD out Tuesday

It's time to pull out the Harley t-shirts, the ripped jeans, boots and bandanas, country outlaw Travis Tritt is back with a turbo-charged new album, My Honky Tonk History.

The leather pant-wearing, long-haired, guitar-slinging rebel tears it up on the twelve track disc. Songs like the mile-a-minute "The Girl's Gone Wild" and the attitude filled "When In Rome" are sawdust floor country-rock cuts with enough rootsy grit to please both the Skynyrd and Haggard crowds. "When in Rome, you can do like the Romans/ But when you're down home, you'd better do like us," Tritt growls on the latter track.

"Honky Tonk History" is a hard-edged number with plucky banjo and driving electric guitars. Tritt lists the scars, the bullet holes and the bounty he's collected during a lifetime of hanging out in and around beer joints. Redneck woman Gretchen Wilson adds her whiskey-drenched vocals to "Tonight Ive Gone Too Far To Turn Around," a song she co-wrote with Jon McElroy and Cory Mayo. Tritt slips into a rambler's skin for the southern seasoned cut, playing a man haunted by the things he's done. Wilson's and Tritt's voices blend together perfectly.

Tritt has enough electricity coursing through his veins to power a city the size of Nashville for an entire month. The Georgia native can get down and dirty with the best of them. From the barrelhouse blues of "Monkey Around," to the Allman-esque "When A Good Ole Boy Goes Bad," the man has all the right moves. "It's All About The Money" has Tritt taking shots at sleazy lawyers and money hungry losers. John Mellencamp joins the singer for a duet on "What Say You," a number that wouldn't sound out of place on one of his own albums.

The rock and roller in Tritt may show up more often than the hardcore traditionalist, but make no mistake, this rocker has a country soul. The old-school "Circus Leaving Town," one of the album's best tracks, has plenty of sorrow and sinuous steel guitar to go around. Tritt wraps his tear-stained voice around an aching production. "We've Had It All," a co-write with Marty Stuart, and the only song on the disc Travis had a hand in writing, is cut from the same cloth as past hits like "Anymore" and "Tell Me I Was Dreaming."

Not only is My Honky Tonk History Travis Tritt's best album, it's one of the best country-rock releases to come out of Nashville in the last five or six years.

By Todd Sterling

:headbanger: Cool!!!!  I love Travis Tritt!!!!!

But what about Steve Earle, MJ? He rocks too.

I don't know who he is........someone I should check out???

:headbanger: Cool!!!!  I love Travis Tritt!!!!!

But what about Steve Earle, MJ? He rocks too.

I don't know who he is........someone I should check out???

If you can.... Download these songs by Steve Earle.

Guitar Town

Goodbye's All We Got Left

Copperhead Road

Snake Oil

Devil's Right Hand

Good Ol' Boy (Gettin' Tough)

Steve Earle is a serious badass who never really got the recognition he deserved as an artist and a songwriter. For some stupid reason, country radio won't touch him. Too bad, because he'd be huge by now, not just an artist with a "cult" following. :( I'll send you "Copperhead Road" - I'm pretty sure it's on my hard drive! :lol:

Wow!!!!! Thanks Christine!!!! :D

I found the song "I Love You Too Much" and really REALLY like it!!! LOL.....love the way he does the line "You must think that I'm easy doooaaaawwwwnnncha?" :lol:

Wow, I had no idea there were other Steve Earle fans around here. I have his album Copperhead Road and love it, especially the title track, "Johnny Come Lately" and "Devil's Right Hand".

Steve Earle is a serious badass who never really got the recognition he deserved as an artist and a songwriter. For some stupid reason, country radio won't touch him. Too bad, because he'd be huge by now, not just an artist with a "cult" following. :( I'll send you "Copperhead Road" - I'm pretty sure it's on my hard drive! :lol:

I couldn't have said it better myself Christine. You're right he is a badass, and that's why country music radio won't play his music. He doesn't run with the "in crowd." I like to think of Steve as "the last of the outlaws."

Back in the 50's, 60's, and even the 70's you had guys like Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, and Willie Nelson who were the bad boys of music. Now-a-days, it's the rock n rollers that O.D. and go to prison. But back then it was the country outlaws that were tearin' things up, and always gettin' into trouble. Steve Earle is the same way.

Steve Fain Earle was born Jan. 17th, 1955 in Fort Monroe, Virginia, but grew up in the San Antonio area. He got his first guitar at age eleven, and started taking drugs at thirteen. As far as I'm concerned, he was destined for greatness, but Nashville is a dictative, puke hole, and becuase of that, Steve wasn't give enough credit.

......The last of the outlaws.......

• 2 weeks later...

OMG........going through some TT stuff today that I found on my computer......found the song "Start The Car"........

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is the same song as on Jude Cole's (duhhhh.....) "Start The Car"!!! :headbanger:

Have you heard that one James??

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...