SHM-CD

I've always wondered this too. I can't imagine there is a whole lot of difference and they certainly wouldn't be worth the additional costs. But lets hear from someone has has heard one of them.

I've just got the Maxus - S/T re-issue that is a Japanes SHM-CD. Compared to the original, there is definitely more definition, depth and more subtle nuances going on and the general overall sound is crystal clear, but that could be down to the original excellent production, and some good remastering, over the actual material used in manufacturing SHM-CD's. I don't own a mega expensive audio system either - fairly good quality CD player, mid range amp, plus some nice speakers and good cables, so I really think that for the average person with a similar set up like mine, they wouldn't notice too much difference in a normal remastered CD to the SHM-CD to be honest. I would have to have a copy of the normal CD and the SHM-CD version and play them back to back to really tell if their was a difference. I have read varying reports some saying that they definitely are better quality, to others that are not so convinced. The judge remains firmly out in my case and whilst I love getting updated, remastered versions of alot of my cd's, I certainly won't be rushing out to update them to SHM-CD in the near future.

• My Little Pony

I've just got the Maxus - S/T re-issue that is a Japanes SHM-CD. Compared to the original, there is definitely more definition, depth and more subtle nuances going on and the general overall sound is crystal clear, but that could be down to the original excellent production, and some good remastering, over the actual material used in manufacturing SHM-CD's. I don't own a mega expensive audio system either - fairly good quality CD player, mid range amp, plus some nice speakers and good cables, so I really think that for the average person with a similar set up like mine, they wouldn't notice too much difference in a normal remastered CD to the SHM-CD to be honest. I would have to have a copy of the normal CD and the SHM-CD version and play them back to back to really tell if their was a difference. I have read varying reports some saying that they definitely are better quality, to others that are not so convinced. The judge remains firmly out in my case and whilst I love getting updated, remastered versions of alot of my cd's, I certainly won't be rushing out to update them to SHM-CD in the near future.

Yeah, I've read a few--actually one--reviews that really favoured the SHM-CD format, but I'm such a skeptic, I just assumed they were over-sensationalizing. I believe that's a word.