RAVAGE

Fat Freddy

ravagemetal.jpg

m_2a085dfe98124e0ca0d712e8108d69e0.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/swwr

http://www.ravagetheearth.com

These guys have been kickin' around Massachusetts since the early '00's but I never checked 'em out till recently when I picked up their FREEDOM FIGHTER 6-track EP on a whim from CDBaby. Pretty cool stuff, bringin' back the old school Maiden/Priest vibe with a slight thrash injection. I'm diggin' it. Plan to pick up their current full length (THE END OF TOMORROW, out now on Metal Blade) next chance I get.

Any fans?

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing piece of artwork from Ed Repka!!

If you're a "retro" band you can't go wrong with a Repka.

They do a pretty good cover of Judas Priest "Nightcrawler" too.... :beerbang:

Yeah, they do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITBzu_pY3s4

• 11 months later...

OK, so I've had THE END OF TOMORROW for about a month and a half now and it's still a frequent player. It's in my "to be listened to" stack again today, in fact. Nothin' fancy, just good, solid old school retro-metal. :beerbang:

A day or two ago on their Facebook page, the band asked fans if they were to do a covers album, what songs should they cover? I told 'em "Take Control" or anything by Raven, cuz the singer's vox remind me a lot of John Gallagher's (especially when he squawks!... besides, it would fit their 'retro' vibe quite nicely.

"The Shredder" gives me an 80's Thrash feel while "The End of Tomorrow" is way better and has more of a Maiden sound to it IMO.

Cool band but not as good as the awesome Pharaoh IMO.

This lot?: Pharaoh

Are they Power Metal or straight up HM?

"The Shredder" gives me an 80's Thrash feel while "The End of Tomorrow" is way better and has more of a Maiden sound to it IMO.

Cool band but not as good as the awesome Pharaoh IMO.

This lot?: Pharaoh

Are they Power Metal or straight up HM?

Yep, that's the Pharaoh Wes is referring to.

I wouldn't call'em "power" metal, they're more Maidenish. There's a thread around here about the band somewhere, where I think I said something to the effect of "they sound like an Americanized version of Maiden circa POWERSLAVE," if that makes any sense.

EDIT: found and bumped the thread if you're interested, J.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• New song 'Fans Of The Dark'.    
    • Shadows of Yesterday - Vinnie Moore
    • Sorry, that wasn't really what I meant. What I was really going for is that the songs on other albums seem to me to have more of a similar feel to them, like you can tell the songs for Freedom Rock were pretty much all written at the same time. I'm not saying that the songs on Force Majeure don't sound like H.E.A.T (even though I maintain it's not as good, based on the first few spins, as their previous efforts), but that they sound, to me, more "scatterbrained" than the selections from other records. That's not an easy thing to explain, but "direction" was the best word I could think of.    Again, I probably could explained my point better. I wasn't advocating for more guitars so much, but for more variety in the guitars we get. One of the best things for me about the first two H.E.A.T albums (less so for Address the Nation, but still there) was the subtle trade-offs between Dalone and Rivers and the solos that switched between them (good examples of this include the guitar work on "Late Night Lady," "Danger Road" and "Tonight," off the top of my head). Simply because Dalone and Rivers played different set ups and had some variance in tone, you could tell the difference between their playing (though admittedly there were times where Eric Rivers was completely underutilized and overshadowed). Because of the the combination of this record's production and the guitars being all Dave, you don't have as much of that, and that's what I was trying to convey.
    • Agree it reminds of earlier material, but I'm much less of a "Hang Tough" guy and much more of a "What A Shame" kind of guy.
    • Skid Row Nelson Steel Panther Harem Scarem WASP Van Hagar Saliva Joey Tempest Michael Sweet White Lion Mr. Big ... are the easy ones for me. Possibly Warrant as well come to think of it. Some other popular ones listed taht I don't agree with would be Slaughter - 2nd album pipped it GNR - always preferred either UYI albums Tuff - really only had 1 1/2 albums so don't count    
    • and the lyrics tick tock time to rock don't make you cringe?? if it was 1986 and I was 16 it might have been just passable but now, no. 
    • Another release that seems to have been completely overlooked here on HH... check out those vids for "Give It Up" and "Love Will Not Let You Down". I swear both tunes sound like something you'd hear from AdrianGale!  Compassion | Akiba Music (bandcamp.com)  
    • I might stone thrown at me, but hear some Scorpions.
    • "One Voice", which is a demo, is the only one I hear the tape "hiss" on...
    • Is that cassette tape hiss I hear at the start of the song? Is the whole album like that or only the demo tracks?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.