Puressence

JamesEagle

Has anyone heard the debut album by British indie band Puressence? It's the best album I've heard that isn't hard rock or metal; all the songs are great, but 'Near Distance' is possibly my favourite song ever, a great, building pop/rock song.

It's not immediate and takes a few listens, but for me was a grower and now in my top five albums of all time. I recommend this album so strongly - if only one person has a listen to this band after reading this I'll be really pleased!

• 2 weeks later...

bump!

A couple of tracks from Youtube (just the songs), someone do me a favour and check them out!

This is a b-side, but is one of my top 3 or 4 songs of any genre ever, just incredible. Took a couple of listens to get into, but can't get enough of it now:

This is amazing as well, great lyrics too:

I dig it but it is very proggy, which I love. Jez and Paul (switer) might like this too but I don't think the majority of HH would like it. "Mr. Brown" is particularly intriguing.

I dig it but it is very proggy, which I love. Jez and Paul (switer) might like this too but I don't think the majority of HH would like it. "Mr. Brown" is particularly intriguing.

Thanks for listening!

Proggy? I don't find that, but interesting that you do, I've listened to these tracks so many times I just can't categorise them.

Not rock or metal as I said, but the quality of the music will hopefully win over one or two on here. Give it a go folks (but the songs aren't really immediate, so might take a few listens if you have the patience)!

Wow, proggy? I didn't get that at all either. I found it more kind of typical (Sorry James!) dull Brit pop/soft grungy rock.

Wow, proggy? I didn't get that at all either. I found it more kind of typical (Sorry James!) dull Brit pop/soft grungy rock.

No worries, just give it a few more spins at some point if you can be bothered, you might change your mind. I did!

Can see the comparison with other British stuff, but it has so much more depth ... hence takes a few listens. But different strokes and all that.

Notice I didn't say "progressive". They are weird kinda like Mansun from the mid-90's. Proggy in their music, yes its soft, but its far from pop...maybe soft grunge might be a better term but nowhere near pop.

Notice I didn't say "progressive". They are weird kinda like Mansun from the mid-90's. Proggy in their music, yes its soft, but its far from pop...maybe soft grunge might be a better term but nowhere near pop.

Fair point, great post until you used the g word. Urgh!

;)