Silverstein - 'A Shipwreck in the sand'

Geoff

I think Jason and I are possibly and probably the only fans of this band on this board, but if there are any silent fans in hiding, prepare yourself for a monster new album. One of my most anticipated albums of 2008 has arrived. Like most modern rock bands, have they gone soft (not that has been a bad thing yet)? No, I'm only halfway through this but this sounds like possibly their heaviest disc yet. Like FFAF the guys have tried their hand at a concept album, and like FFAF it sounds like a smashing success. Probably not heavy enough for Tim or Mark, but this has plenty of balls. Killer melodies, nice guitar, strong choruses... everything that has forced me to adore this band. Loving it.

http://www.myspace.com/silverstein

cover.jpg

TRACK LISTING

Chapter One: It Burns Within Us All

1. A Great Fire

2. Vices

3. Broken Stars

Chapter Two: Liars, Cheaters And Thieves

4. American Dream

5. Their Lips Sink Ships

6. I Knew I Couldn't Trust You

7. Born Dead

Chapter Three: Fight Fire With Fire

8. A Shipwreck In The Sand

9. I Am The Arsonist

10. You're All I Have

Chapter Four: Death And Taxes

11. We Are Not The World

12. A Hero Loses Everyday

13. The Tide Raises Every Ship

14. The End

And here's the story to accompany the album:

Betrayal. Arson. Infidelity. True Love.

Once upon a time, before the lakes and rivers were polluted, before the animals were poached to extinction, and before man had destroyed the earth's atmosphere, there was a great ship. This vessel was to venture into new waters to find new resources, and create a contemporary world, to make life easier and more enjoyable. It was a simple mission for the crew who were excited to be a part of this union. They pledged their allegiance to the captain, and vowed to be there no matter what, in sickness, health, and possible death.

As time passed by, there was no new land to be found. As the days grew shorter, and the nights grew longer and colder, the crew became more and more skeptical about the captain's vision. Originally passionate and committed, true and faithful, they now began to revolt.

As the mutiny started, and the captain was overthrown and chained. He asked them why they had so quickly and so drastically changed their course of action. They replied that there were no riches and no wealth to be found on this journey and that they would not die for this. The captain retorted that he promised no treasure, no riches, and questioned their motives. This union was not about love. This union was not about the cause. This union was for the wrong reasons...

...A man, a woman, and their child sleep in their home. The man awakes to the smell of smoke. He saves his family from a fire. As they struggle with the flawed insurance systems in place, and move to a hotel, everything starts to unravel. The promise of the American dream is gone. A hope for a life of luxury, money and wealth has dissolved. Adultery, addiction and enmity take its place. Passion once felt is no longer. Hatred grows. A union of trust once pledged is now questioned. This union was not about love. This union was not about the cause. This union was for the wrong reasons...

This is the story of A Shipwreck in the Sand.

I've never liked this band much, but I liked the new soundbytes so picked this one up (despite the fact that concept albums are usually a waste of time). First spin was very promising, a bit heavier than before (though they could still be a LOT better with beefier guitars). They remind me of a softer A DAY TO REMEMBER, but they're not as good, but I'll continue to spin this one...

'Vices' and 'Broken stars' are my early favourites so far. Overall, this is a really cool album and these guys don't really write songs I don't enjoy, but I have a feeling this may not quite match the 'Arrivals and Departures' disc for me. Man I ended up loving that disc so much.

So where should I start with this band...get the debut and work from there or should I pick up a later disc first?

"Arrivals and Departures", then get the new one....

So where should I start with this band...get the debut and work from there or should I pick up a later disc first?

Yeah, I agree with Tim. 'Arrivals and Departures' is probably their most accessible disc. It's the most "hard rock" sounding one and has the least screams of all. But really, really cool riffs all over the place, and very strong songs.

Then get this new one next, but 'Discovering the waterfront' is hugely essential too. I'm not sure how much you like your screams, but there are a few on this. However, it is probably, overall, still my favourite Silverstein CD. I just LOVE the songs on that one.

As for the debut, mate, I only just bought that a few weeks ago in the Secondspin sales. It's not really very good at all. Mostly screamo with a much rawer sound. Definitely leave that one for last and get the other three. :)

One thing I would say with this band though is try-before-you-buy. They have a pretty formulaic Metalcore sound (i.e, screamed verses, melodic choruses) and are not really Modern Rock (i.e, Story of the Year/Shinedown) as they have screaming/breakdowns etc, though they're not actually that heavy. They're good, don't get me wrong, and their harmonies are killer. So is their ability to write a catchy chorus. But they have less identity than bands like Atreyu and Funeral For A Friend, and they just look silly in any comparisons to the best bands in this genre (like Killswitch Engage).

• 1 year later...

These guys just released a new EP called 'Transitions,' with 3 new songs, a cover and a remix of an old track. Three new songs are very nice, especially 'Darling Harbour.'

• 5 months later...

Anyone pick up 'Rescue' yet?

Looks like these guys will have a similar year to a band I have long associated them with, Funeral For A Friend. Both bands hit the scene about the same time and have consistently delivered great new albums through the years. Both released a decent digital only EP last year and both hit back this year with a new disc. Unfortunately, both new discs are probably not going to leave a mark on the year that is 2011.

'Rescue' is good (like you'd expect from Silverstein) but it fails to really reach a peak higher than being just good. There's a few standout tracks, but also quite a few that just don't hit the mark when it's time for a good hook or chorus. There are 6 "bonus tracks" which kind of detract from the CD too. Two acoustic versions of songs on the CD, three demos and a song that appeared on the EP (the other two songs from that EP are album tracks on this). The demos are pretty much as polished as the album tracks, and aside from one sounding better than the album track, the other two sound pretty pointless.

Overall it's a good solid album, but not something special like I was hoping for.

Rock Sound magazine gave away a free disc with 3 new tunes on it, and it sounded okay to me but nothing special. A bit more clean singing than before but just more-of-the-same in terms of sound. Too much other good stuff around to buy this one IMO...

Rock Sound magazine gave away a free disc with 3 new tunes on it, and it sounded okay to me but nothing special. A bit more clean singing than before but just more-of-the-same in terms of sound. Too much other good stuff around to buy this one IMO...

Overall there's still plenty of screaming on this one. As noted with any other band before, I prefer clean vocals obviously. But as I was listening to this CD I acknowledged the fact that Silverstein is one band I make an exception for. These guys have stuck to their guns since 'Discovering the waterfront' (I prefer to forget about the debut as it was too raw and under-done to be considered alongside their "proper" releases) and the screams have always been plentiful and a trademark of their sound.

In all honesty, because he's actually got a pretty bad pop punk voice when he's not screaming, often I prefer the screams... as he does have a powerful voice when it comes to that, both live and on disc.

Overall there's still plenty of screaming on this one. As noted with any other band before, I prefer clean vocals obviously. But as I was listening to this CD I acknowledged the fact that Silverstein is one band I make an exception for. These guys have stuck to their guns since 'Discovering the waterfront' (I prefer to forget about the debut as it was too raw and under-done to be considered alongside their "proper" releases) and the screams have always been plentiful and a trademark of their sound.

In all honesty, because he's actually got a pretty bad pop punk voice when he's not screaming, often I prefer the screams... as he does have a powerful voice when it comes to that, both live and on disc.

That's why I don't like the new BLACKOUT album. I don't mind whether the singing is clean/screams/growls/pig-grunts/dogs-barking etc etc, as long as it sounds good. The BLACKOUT singer(s) can't sing, and sadly it spoils the music. Leto screamed a bit on the first two 30 SECONDS TO MARS discs and it sounded shite, so he canned it. The Blackout should go back to screaming!

That's why I don't like the new BLACKOUT album. I don't mind whether the singing is clean/screams/growls/pig-grunts/dogs-barking etc etc, as long as it sounds good. The BLACKOUT singer(s) can't sing, and sadly it spoils the music. Leto screamed a bit on the first two 30 SECONDS TO MARS discs and it sounded shite, so he canned it. The Blackout should go back to screaming!

Haha, yeah I can agree with that. The Blackout certainly are no vocal gods, but thankfully I love the second half of that new disc... some great tunes. :)