Best Swedish player in NHL.

Ali Rock

Hi there,

I wonder if there are any Ice Hockey maniacs here like myself here on the board. It would quite interesting to know who you people "over there" (and other people, off course) think is the best Swedish player in the league nowadays and the best Swedish player who has ever played in the league.

Ali Forsberg

Wow! A new fella here endearing himself to the board (well, ME, anyway) by talking hockey. You're more than welcome to come round these parts as often as you like. lol

As far as players currently playing, I'm thinking you're going to want to go with (as far as this current season) Henrik Zetterberg, or Daniel Sedin. (Henrik isn't far behind either.)

The past couple of years, those fellows, with maybe Markus Naslund, Daniel Alfredsson, and Nicklas Lidstrom. (Maybe Mats Sundin too, but I was saving him for next.)

And the all-time list, Peter Forsberg could PROBABLY sneak on there, but more likely Mats Sundin, Borje Salming, and, even though they had brief NHL careers, Kent Nilsson and Mats Naslund.

My favorite, though? Why, of course it's Hardy Astrom! :P

Seriously, though, it'd be Freddy O himself, Fredrik Olausson. He was poised for greatness from early on in his Winnipeg career and seemed to be achieving it. And after leaving the Jets, he just never quite quite recaptured that consistent half-point-plus a game scoring touch he had in Winnipeg, save his years with the high-powered (Kariya-Selanne) Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks.

Wow! A new fella here endearing himself to the board (well, ME, anyway) by talking hockey. You're more than welcome to come round these parts as often as you like. lol

As far as players currently playing, I'm thinking you're going to want to go with (as far as this current season) Henrik Zetterberg, or Daniel Sedin. (Henrik isn't far behind either.)

The past couple of years, those fellows, with maybe Markus Naslund, Daniel Alfredsson, and Nicklas Lidstrom. (Maybe Mats Sundin too, but I was saving him for next.)

And the all-time list, Peter Forsberg could PROBABLY sneak on there, but more likely Mats Sundin, Borje Salming, and, even though they had brief NHL careers, Kent Nilsson and Mats Naslund.

Seriously, though, it'd be Freddy O himself, Fredrik Olausson. He was poised for greatness from early on in his Winnipeg career and seemed to be achieving it. And after leaving the Jets, he just never quite quite recaptured that consistent half-point-plus a game scoring touch he had in Winnipeg, save his years with the high-powered (Kariya-Selanne) Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks.

Olausson, that's quite interesting choice. He was back in Sweden a couple of years ago in a team called HV71. He played a big in that team when they won the Swedish league that year.

I must say that Salming or Lidstrom have had the best carreers in the league but Forsberg was such a great player.

How about Pelle Lindberg. He would propably have been one of the best keepers ever played in the league if he han't been killed in the car crash.

This year I'm very impressed of Loiu Eriksson's goal scoring in Dallas.

Olausson, that's quite interesting choice. He was back in Sweden a couple of years ago in a team called HV71. He played a big in that team when they won the Swedish league that year.

I must say that Salming or Lidstrom have had the best carreers in the league but Forsberg was such a great player.

How about Pelle Lindberg. He would propably have been one of the best keepers ever played in the league if he han't been killed in the car crash.

This year I'm very impressed of Loiu Eriksson's goal scoring in Dallas.

Wow! Can't believe I forgot about Lindberg! (Then again he played in Philly, and hating ALL THINGS PHILLY, maybe it's excusable. lol)

Poor Eriksson's on that confounded Dallas team. They can't seem to put anything TOO strong together since their Stanley Cup in 99. They've had strong veteran presence with Modano, but now with Morrow out for the season and the lackluster goaltending they've gotten this year, they need their lesser knowns to step up. So far Eriksson and Ribiero have done their jobs, but Sergei Zubov hasn't gotten rolling and and Brad Richards is yet to regain his strong form of past years.

My favourite Swedish player of all time is Mats Naslund from way back when. I still have a jersey with his number 26 from his days with the Habs.

Another fav of mine is Tommy Salo, who let in that horrid goal against Belarus in the 2002 Olympics, which in turn helped Canada win gold, because without that brutal lose the Swedes would have certainly won it all.

My favourite Swedish player of all time is Mats Naslund from way back when. I still have a jersey with his number 26 from his days with the Habs.

Another fav of mine is Tommy Salo, who let in that horrid goal against Belarus in the 2002 Olympics, which in turn helped Canada win gold, because without that brutal lose the Swedes would have certainly won it all.

That was one of my sadest moments in sport. Especially since we had such a great team. But it was good that we won the Olympics in 2006. Mats Naslund is the general manager nowadays for the Swedish team. He was a great player.

Being a Washington Caps fan my favorite Swedish born player ever is Bengt Gustafsson. Like most Swedish player he was a great two way player. He was deadly with his shot from close range. He scored 5 goals in one game against the much hated Flyers... on only 5 shots. He played with passion... what he lack in talent he made up for in heart. He spent his whole NHL career in Washington. He had 555 points in 629 games, 196 of those points being goals. I'm sure he could have scored more goal but was one of the most unselfish players ever. He broke his leg in a game and missed a year and a half of playing time in the NHL. He came back after the injury to play one more year with the Caps posting solid numbers. I just really enjoyed watching the style in which Gustafsson played.

This past year the Capitals drafted his son Anton... I'm looking forward to following him as he climbs the ranks.

Also really like Daniel Alfredson, Mats Sundin, and Michael Nylander.

Being a Washington Caps fan my favorite Swedish born player ever is Bengt Gustafsson. Like most Swedish player he was a great two way player. He was deadly with his shot from close range. He scored 5 goals in one game against the much hated Flyers... on only 5 shots. He played with passion... what he lack in talent he made up for in heart. He spent his whole NHL career in Washington. He had 555 points in 629 games, 196 of those points being goals. I'm sure he could have scored more goal but was one of the most unselfish players ever. He broke his leg in a game and missed a year and a half of playing time in the NHL. He came back after the injury to play one more year with the Caps posting solid numbers. I just really enjoyed watching the style in which Gustafsson played.

This past year the Capitals drafted his son Anton... I'm looking forward to following him as he climbs the ranks.

Also really like Daniel Alfredson, Mats Sundin, and Michael Nylander.

Gustafsson took Sweden to the Olympic Gold and world Cup gold in 2006.

Calle Johansson was a great defender in Washington and Backstrom can be really good in the future.

Right now I'm watching the first semi in the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships from Ottawa. They play quite good Ice Hockey the Juniors.