Ali Handal

What are everyone's thoughts on The Blues Rock Queen Ali Handal? She's sighted Aerosmith as a huge influence and actually plays in an Aerosmith cover band and has done work Tony Franklin. I definitely think she fits on the site. I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts. 

https://youtu.be/wOLjZ4APIDs?si=fEzr3-jRLpbvehH5

Okay, let's break down your submission... her 2010 release "Make Your Move". It starts out well enough, with "All the Way", and then a cover of the Knack's "My Sharona", but then goes off the rails in relation to being hard rock, blues rock, or even modern rock (which is what you submitted it as).  "Pin Me Down", "You're Worth More", and "Really Really Really" all sound like something you'd have heard on the alt rock stations in the 90s.  "You're Still With Me" is some sort of dreamy, poppy track, "Shut Your Mouth" which you've referenced above, is probably the closest thing to traditional hard rock on the disc, followed by another decent rock track "Need More Time", the closes with the funky "It's Up to Me", and then the bordeline grunge of "Canned Hunt".  Point blank, she is all over the fucking place. Yes, there are a couple of rockers on the disc, but that doesn't necessarily make her HH appropriate. I checked out her 2017 release "That's What She Said" to see if perhaps she had gone in a more defined direction; nope. First track is a bluesy, country rocker, followed by no rockers for the next few tracks. I did stop to appreciate the song "I Love My Pussy... Cat", but again, she's all over the place.  I stand firmly by my rejection.

Since we're here, let's look at your other submissions:

image.png

Kissinger - VERY borderline, and I damn near added it, but in the end, it was a NO

Witherfall - A power metal band. Yes, the disc you submitted is an acoustic effort, but they are Power metal. I forwarded it to Brutal Metal and will add them over there when I get the chance.

America - Soft rock / pop rock. They've been discussed before, and it was a NO in the past. We're still discussing the possibility of adding them. If anyone else wants to chime in with an opinion on them, please do.

The Datsuns - Alterna rock / garage rock. Not a million miles from what you find on HH, but again, not really HH appropriate. 

Matt Steady - Celtic Rock.  A Few songs with some prog influence do not make this HH material.

Ali Handal - Addressed above

The Inferno Doll - Gothic Metal. Forwarded to Brutal Metal

Wolfcry - Power Metal. Forwarded to Brutal Metal

---------------------------------------------------

You're one of the few people actually bothering to submit CDs to the site, so I thank you for that, BUT, this batch of submissions seems almost like you're intentionally picking borderline artists, and just trying to see who you can "sneak in". As Dan has said, if you're uncertain about anyone you plan on submitting, don't hesitate to ask a question here on the board, or drop one of us a PM. 

Also, I can assure you, and Dan will attest to this, no submission is rejected lightly. I absolutely HATE not adding something that someone has taken the time to submit; that's why when it's at all feasible, I'll forward them to Brutal Metal and add them there if appropriate.

Mike

I appreciate you taking the time to address my submissions. I'm really not trying to submit borderline stuff as I said in our DMs I'm going through my extensive CD collection and if I come across something that I think fits I submit it. In case you couldn't tell I'm pretty disappointed that the Datsuns weren't given the greenlight because I think there's quite a few bands on HH who they have things in common with sonically but as I said in my previous post I respect the decision of everyone involved. I really enjoy HH and I've found so many great bands on the site. I'm really just trying to help others do the same. Do you suggest that I post threads about releases that I want to submit before I submit them or should I just try to work on submitting the right stuff?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dramarama said:

I appreciate you taking the time to address my submissions. I'm really not trying to submit borderline stuff as I said in our DMs I'm going through my extensive CD collection and if I come across something that I think fits I submit it. In case you couldn't tell I'm pretty disappointed that the Datsuns weren't given the greenlight because I think there's quite a few bands on HH who they have things in common with sonically but as I said in my previous post I respect the decision of everyone involved. I really enjoy HH and I've found so many great bands on the site. I'm really just trying to help others do the same. Do you suggest that I post threads about releases that I want to submit before I submit them or should I just try to work on submitting the right stuff?

My suggestion; if you have any discs by bands already on HH that aren't listed, obviously, it's cool to submit them. :tumbsup:

When it comes to other stuff, if it seems the least bit questionable in your mind, you can always PM myself or Dan to ask if it's cool.

If you feel 100% sure that something is HH appropriate, go for it.

Again, thanks for the submissions.  :drink:

Mike

• Like 1

I've got 5 cds I was planning on submitting tonight. 3 of them I'm confident fit (even though I could be wrong) the other 2 are The Witness by Meytal and Get It by The Lashes I think that they both could have a place on the site but I also feel like they could be rejected. To me the Lashes are similar to Jet and the Struts and are just a sleazy, fun rock band and Meytal is great modern hard rock with killer vocals, great harmonies and beyond competent musicians. They remind me of Nickelback and Daughtry a bit.

Meytal is Nu Metal/Alterametal and is definitely Brutal Metal material. 

The Lashes are pop punk in the same vein as say a Green Day. That would be a no. 

• Like 1

I've never checked out Brutal Metal. Maybe I should sounds like there might be some bands I dig over there.

• Like 1