Tango Down gets a 90% Rating!

KIVELRECORDS

Latest review on the TANGO DOWN. 90%!! From melodicrock.com

tangodown-identitycrisis.jpg

90%

Tango Down's new album - their third - might just be the surprise package of 2012. The band's last album Damage Control was solid and enjoyable, but now some 3 years since its release, I'm struggling to remember any song from it. But that won't be the case for Identity Crisis. There are two or three songs here especially that I probably won't ever forget, such is the strength of the chorus and song overall. But that's not to say there aren't other highlights within this album. It is in fact, very consistent throughout and at 10 tracks and just 38 minutes, there is no room for fillers and none are presented. Only guitarist Scott Miller and drummer Keith Michaels have appeared on all 3 albums. David Reece, the voice of Accept, Bangalore Choir, Reece/Kronlund and now Power World is the new man up front and I have to say, after being somewhat skeptical of his potential fit with this band, it seems it was an inspired choice. Hopefully this fresh line-up and album will set the guys up to move forward and perhaps perform live and re-group for a sequel in time. Not only does Reece bring a certain toughness to the band that they didn't have before, but the band also gives Reece some more melodic tunes to sing, which I think is awesome. Nothing better than some melodic rock with attitude. Writers on the album are many – Scott Miller of course is involved with most tracks, but friend of the label Jace Pawlak again delivers some fine writing (he really needs a big project of his own soon) and other writers include Paul Logue, Erik from Bombay Black (the band's Ty Sims produces), Christian Tolle and Reece himself. Production is amongst the best quality I have heard from any Kivel Records release – there's a nice hard hitting approach on this album that I have often asked for in other Kivel Records reviews. Nailed it this time guys!

The album kicks off with two ass-kickers in the fast moving, beat heavy Crying to Me and the more melodic keyboard accompanied Alone (very 80s track there). I'm not quite as enamored with Dream Child, not sure why, but I can say that the old fashioned backing vocals work well and are very well mixed into the album as a whole. Blame is one of those classic tracks I referred to up front. Immediately likable and featuring a big melodic chorus. It features one of my favorite Reece vocals since the debut Bangalore Choir album. Corners of My Mind is another very melodic and very classy song. It's slower to the point of almost being a ballad, but still rocks a little. Very strong melodies and a nice keyboard fill under the guitars. Enlighten Me is a little darker and features another strong chorus and a moodier vibe. Didn't click with me first up, but gets better and better. Back to Life is yet another instantly memorable 80s melodic rock anthem made to feel more contemporary by the strong production. It features a wonderfully moody Reece vocal and great chorus with a perfect blend of guitars and keyboards. Hearts Catch Fire is an old school hard rocker for sure. From the guitar riffs to the Dokken-esque backing vocals and the pumping bass line. I like the chorus a lot, but I'm not a big fan of plodding rockers and this is one of those. Calling Out picks up the pace and adds a little extra melody from the previous track. Another strong riff and another strong track. Magic Pudding is another 5 minute plodder so to speak. Not a favorite of mine. And that's probably my only issue with the whole album. There's 2 or 3 tracks of this pace already and that makes this one a little superfluous. I would have liked to seen the album close with a more rousting barnstormer like the opening track. Small point.

The Bottom Line

An all-round classy release. I hope the band retains this line up for future releases and the same writers join in for more fun.

It's a great sounding release with one of the best production/mixes of any Kivel release and David Reece is the perfect fit for the music on offer. Some hard rockers and some melodic anthems make for a pretty good balance.

Essential For Fans Of:

Latest review on the TANGO DOWN. 90%!! From melodicrock.com

tangodown-identitycrisis.jpg

90%

Tango Down's new album - their third - might just be the surprise package of 2012. The band's last album Damage Control was solid and enjoyable, but now some 3 years since its release, I'm struggling to remember any song from it. But that won't be the case for Identity Crisis. There are two or three songs here especially that I probably won't ever forget, such is the strength of the chorus and song overall. But that's not to say there aren't other highlights within this album. It is in fact, very consistent throughout and at 10 tracks and just 38 minutes, there is no room for fillers and none are presented. Only guitarist Scott Miller and drummer Keith Michaels have appeared on all 3 albums. David Reece, the voice of Accept, Bangalore Choir, Reece/Kronlund and now Power World is the new man up front and I have to say, after being somewhat skeptical of his potential fit with this band, it seems it was an inspired choice. Hopefully this fresh line-up and album will set the guys up to move forward and perhaps perform live and re-group for a sequel in time. Not only does Reece bring a certain toughness to the band that they didn't have before, but the band also gives Reece some more melodic tunes to sing, which I think is awesome. Nothing better than some melodic rock with attitude. Writers on the album are many – Scott Miller of course is involved with most tracks, but friend of the label Jace Pawlak again delivers some fine writing (he really needs a big project of his own soon) and other writers include Paul Logue, Erik from Bombay Black (the band's Ty Sims produces), Christian Tolle and Reece himself. Production is amongst the best quality I have heard from any Kivel Records release – there's a nice hard hitting approach on this album that I have often asked for in other Kivel Records reviews. Nailed it this time guys!

The album kicks off with two ass-kickers in the fast moving, beat heavy Crying to Me and the more melodic keyboard accompanied Alone (very 80s track there). I'm not quite as enamored with Dream Child, not sure why, but I can say that the old fashioned backing vocals work well and are very well mixed into the album as a whole. Blame is one of those classic tracks I referred to up front. Immediately likable and featuring a big melodic chorus. It features one of my favorite Reece vocals since the debut Bangalore Choir album. Corners of My Mind is another very melodic and very classy song. It's slower to the point of almost being a ballad, but still rocks a little. Very strong melodies and a nice keyboard fill under the guitars. Enlighten Me is a little darker and features another strong chorus and a moodier vibe. Didn't click with me first up, but gets better and better. Back to Life is yet another instantly memorable 80s melodic rock anthem made to feel more contemporary by the strong production. It features a wonderfully moody Reece vocal and great chorus with a perfect blend of guitars and keyboards. Hearts Catch Fire is an old school hard rocker for sure. From the guitar riffs to the Dokken-esque backing vocals and the pumping bass line. I like the chorus a lot, but I'm not a big fan of plodding rockers and this is one of those. Calling Out picks up the pace and adds a little extra melody from the previous track. Another strong riff and another strong track. Magic Pudding is another 5 minute plodder so to speak. Not a favorite of mine. And that's probably my only issue with the whole album. There's 2 or 3 tracks of this pace already and that makes this one a little superfluous. I would have liked to seen the album close with a more rousting barnstormer like the opening track. Small point.

The Bottom Line

An all-round classy release. I hope the band retains this line up for future releases and the same writers join in for more fun.

It's a great sounding release with one of the best production/mixes of any Kivel release and David Reece is the perfect fit for the music on offer. Some hard rockers and some melodic anthems make for a pretty good balance.

Essential For Fans Of:

Awesome!