Dr. Bruce Dickinson

manicego

Story here

Call him Dr. Dickinson, if you please.

Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson received an Honorary Doctorate Of Music degree from Queen Mary University in London on Tuesday in honor of his contributions to the music industry.

Dickinson has some familiarity with the University and vice versa: he earned a degree in history there back in 1979.

Turns out young Bruce was using college as a way to buy time while he pursued his real passion: music. While his parents wanted to see him in the army, Bruce told them that he wanted to get a degree first. "That was what they wanted to hear so that was my cover story," he later explained. "When I got down there, I started immediately finding and playing in bands."

Beyond his skills as a musician and song-writer, Dickinson is also an author, film script writer and TV broadcaster, a champion fencer, entrepreneur and commercial airline pilot. Bruce currently flies Maiden around the world in the band‘s customized Boeing 757 called Ed Force One.

Queen Mary is one of the U.K.'s leading research-focused universities, offering a broad range of degrees in humanities and social sciences; medicine and dentistry and science and engineering, with over 14,000 undergraduates, 2,000 postgraduate students and 3,000 staff.

Iron Maiden are currently on “The Final Frontier” tour in support of their 2010 album of the same name; the trek has been playing throughout Europe since early May.