Jon Bon Jovi takes jab at Jobs

Jon Bon Jovi slams Steve Jobs for 'killing' music

March 14, 2011, 3:41 PM EST

WENN

Jon Bon Jovi has taken aim at Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, accusing him of "killing" the music industry with iTunes.

The rocker is saddened that the "magical" experience of buying records in a store is disappearing, brick-and-mortars stores being eroded in part due to iTunes' success.

Bon Jovi tells The Sunday Times Magazine, "Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it."

More: Bon Jovi's tour is highest earner of 2010

"God, it was a magical, magical time," he continues, "I hate to sound like an old man now, but I am, and you mark my words, in a generation from now people are going to say: 'What happened?' Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business."

"Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it."

now how true is that. it is still magical getting a cd, putting it on and opening the jacket and reading the liner notes, lyrics and so on.

Agreed, but we are music fans and love our bands. The average person, like all the kids who made Bon Jovi ultra rich in the 80s are most likely not buying music anymore, or very rarely. On top of that the kids today are buying singles, not albums or artists and have grown up with everything being a click away. Unforunately music is becoming a disposable market where talent is churned through and artists (except for a select few) aren't given time to mature or grow. I don't know if Jobs is too blame, he actually gives artists an avenue to get an income that they probably wouldn't otherwise have, given the widespread pirating of music and MP3. He just took advantage of the situation and made it easier for people to get.

Times are a chnging and we're not getting any younger ;)

Unforunately music is becoming a disposable market where talent is churned through and artists (except for a select few) aren't given time to mature or grow.

I had the same conversation last week with a guy from work.

I wouldn't say Steve Jobs is to blame, but most of what JBJ said was right on the money.

I can recall saving up my pocket money for 5 - 6 weeks to buy an LP (yeah my folks were tight lol) then getting to the record store and finding they'd sold out of the album I was planning to buy.

I also wouldn't say Steve Jobs is to blame either but yeah, the days of going to a store a picking out a new release based on the cover or something you heard on MTV are completely gone.

Kids these days will never know what a B-side song is. It's just radio hit singles.

I barely play CDs anymore as I generally only listen to music on my PC or MP3 player, but I still buy all my music on CD unless that option is not a choice.

This may sound silly considering that I never actually play it and it gets put away in a box with other CDs, but I still get a mild thrill when a package comes through the letter box and I get to open it and read the liner notes etc.

I spose its because early in my days of buying this sort of music, I bought so many bands unheard, going either on band image, cover art or a description in a music catalogue (ie sounds like Poison/Ratt/Crue etc).

While this meant I got a few stinkers here and there, often as not I got some real gems.

Ok, now with youtube and illegal downloading, I would be foolish to not try before I buy as money isnt exactly something i have much of at the moment, but I still enjoy the buzz from buying a CD.